Too many pigeons. Too often?

FlyingDutchman

Too many pigeons. Too often?

Post by FlyingDutchman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:27 pm

I have a 12 week old setter and I'm catching pigeons like they're going out of style.
is it a mistake to show him planted pigeons multiple times per week?

How often is too often?

KwikIrish

Re: Too many pigeons. Too often?

Post by KwikIrish » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Keep it fun, no pressure, and let him be a puppy while doing this, and it'll be a darn good experience for the little guy!
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:11 pm

great
so if its pure fun, no pressure...is every other day still ok?
I'm seriously flooded with birds right now 2-3 per day

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:30 pm

For a pup, I think every other day is fine. Make sure they are hard flying birds that he is not able to catch . Those birds will prepare pup for being steady as he'll learn he can't catch/crowd them.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:56 pm

I wouldn't bother one bit with showing the pup pigeons at this point in it's life. get it out for walk's and introduce it to cover, just might discover "bleep" birds on it's own. Quit catching pigeon's if you have that many and lock them up and let them multiply. By the time your pup really has his feet under it, you will have a bunch of pigeons that will return to your loft. Let the pup be a pup and build your supply of good training birds. Four or five month's down the road the pup will probably be ready for them and they willing to do it over again as much as you want.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:44 pm

DonF wrote:I wouldn't bother one bit with showing the pup pigeons at this point in it's life. get it out for walk's and introduce it to cover, just might discover "bleep" birds on it's own. Quit catching pigeon's if you have that many and lock them up and let them multiply. By the time your pup really has his feet under it, you will have a bunch of pigeons that will return to your loft. Let the pup be a pup and build your supply of good training birds. Four or five month's down the road the pup will probably be ready for them and they willing to do it over again as much as you want.

+1
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:02 pm

DonF wrote:I wouldn't bother one bit with showing the pup pigeons at this point in it's life. get it out for walk's and introduce it to cover, just might discover "bleep" birds on it's own. Quit catching pigeon's if you have that many and lock them up and let them multiply. By the time your pup really has his feet under it, you will have a bunch of pigeons that will return to your loft. Let the pup be a pup and build your supply of good training birds. Four or five month's down the road the pup will probably be ready for them and they willing to do it over again as much as you want.
This was the best advice imo . In my post, I assumed your pup was an older pup. :oops:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 pm

this is all good advice but I have a neighbor with homers, bird launchers, 15 acres of training land etc....
so for now its all really just messing around for fun. I'll have access to all of the formal stuff later.
change anyone's mind?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:11 pm

FlyingDutchman wrote:this is all good advice but I have a neighbor with homers, bird launchers, 15 acres of training land etc....
so for now its all really just messing around for fun. I'll have access to all of the formal stuff later.
change anyone's mind?
Not mine since I make decisions based on what am I trying to accomplish that the pup needs. Your pup is aware of what birds are and knows they are fun so what is left? Ph yeah, where and how to find them, and you teaching the pup that all it has to do is follow you to the field and you will throw it a bird is not what I want to teach. At this stage I want the pup to learn birds are hard to come by and though it has no idea yet they live in certain areas of a field I want it to find that out. Once introduced then birds are gone till the pup works really hard and finds them. That may be several months away.

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:59 am

ezzy333 wrote:At this stage I want the pup to learn birds are hard to come by and though it has no idea yet they live in certain areas of a field I want it to find that out. Once introduced then birds are gone till the pup works really hard and finds them. That may be several months away.

This makes total sense and I had never heard it put this way. So the initial introduction is enough and then you can stop altogether (even if he sees no wild grouse for example) for many months? just basic obedience and walks in the woods now?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:33 am

FlyingDutchman wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:At this stage I want the pup to learn birds are hard to come by and though it has no idea yet they live in certain areas of a field I want it to find that out. Once introduced then birds are gone till the pup works really hard and finds them. That may be several months away.

This makes total sense and I had never heard it put this way. So the initial introduction is enough and then you can stop altogether (even if he sees no wild grouse for example) for many months? just basic obedience and walks in the woods now?
You missed the maybe the most important things you should be doing at this stage and that is socialization and having fun with the pupo better yet is making sure the pup is having fun with you.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:34 am

You know that the dog likes birds now. That won't diminish just because he's not getting a nose full of them every day. I'd lay off and work on usual pup stuff. Get him out in the bush so he can experience different terrains and types of covers... get him around other people, other dogs, other pets. No need to put the cart ahead of the horse.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:50 am

Is there really anything gained by setting up pigeon slips for a puppy?? If you want to see him point a pigeon, plant one or two, take your pictures and be done with it. Some guys plant a bunch when the pup is young, thinking they are teaching bird drive, but it could cause frustration for the pup when you quit making it so easy. Wild "bleep" birds are better for the pup to find, because they really get the pup hunting for them. And HUNTING is the behavior we want out of our pups. Wild game birds are the ultimate training device and worth every trip searching for them. Dang, I love puppies!!!!!

Steve

FlyingDutchman

Post by FlyingDutchman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:53 pm

I'm doing all of this. Basic obedience EVERY DAY (stay, here, kennel)
long walks in the woods (I'm a field biologist and pup comes with me every day to walk through the woods as I do my work). He gets lots of socialization (we have two little kids, 4 and 8 months, another dog, and he comes to school with me...meets lots of people, sees kids on bikes, etc...

he doesn't see many wild birds (beyond sparrows and juncos)....hence my interest in goofing around with pigeons. but if its really going to make him think it should be easy and reduce his hunt effort, then I'll stop.

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:39 pm

FlyingDutchman wrote:I'm doing all of this. Basic obedience EVERY DAY (stay, here, kennel)
long walks in the woods (I'm a field biologist and pup comes with me every day to walk through the woods as I do my work). He gets lots of socialization (we have two little kids, 4 and 8 months, another dog, and he comes to school with me...meets lots of people, sees kids on bikes, etc...

he doesn't see many wild birds (beyond sparrows and juncos)....hence my interest in goofing around with pigeons. but if its really going to make him think it should be easy and reduce his hunt effort, then I'll stop.
Sounds like you're doing a great job with him, and I don't know about reducing his hunt effort....just don't think a pigeon a day or every other has any positive benefit.