Force Fetch question

bmumph

Force Fetch question

Post by bmumph » Wed May 13, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm currently force fetching my GSP and it is going pretty well. She fetches the bumper well and delivers to hand. The only issue I'm having is that she doesn't pick up the bumper in the middle. Most of the time she has it hanging out of her mouth like a cigar. This usually leads to her dropping it. I have used a dowel and she picks that on up in the middle. But when I switch to the bumper, its a sloppy hold. Any suggestions for getting her to hold it right?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Force Fetch question

Post by DonF » Thu May 14, 2015 8:56 am

If the only problem your having is you don't think she's holding it right, then I don't see where you really have a problem. Next thing you'll be saying she's holding it to close to one end.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu May 14, 2015 11:17 am

If the dogs is continually dropping the bumper on return you have holes in your FF. Back up to your first step of FF using a bumper . Place the bumper the dogs mouth in the middle. Next step hold the bumper out front having the dog reach for the bumper . Next step pick up off the floor . In any step if the dog wants to grab the bumper by the end reposition the bumper in her mouth. Don't move forward until dog is doing each step properly .

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Thu May 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Some folks don't worry about cigaring, but if pup is continually dropping bumpers I'd try to narrow the troubleshooting down.
Try a wooden training buck-
Wooden blocks on the end, and wooden dowel in the center.
The design has it as such that pup HAS to pick it up in the center.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat May 16, 2015 3:45 am

Ms. Cage wrote:If the dogs is continually dropping the bumper on return you have holes in your FF. Back up to your first step of FF using a bumper . Place the bumper the dogs mouth in the middle. Next step hold the bumper out front having the dog reach for the bumper . Next step pick up off the floor . In any step if the dog wants to grab the bumper by the end reposition the bumper in her mouth. Don't move forward until dog is doing each step properly .

Exactly slow down cigaring is a read that you have "forced' to much information to quickly for the dog to assimilate. Read you dog! he will till you when it is safe to do more!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Wed May 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Your dog will cheerfully accept the lowest standard you will tolerate.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu May 21, 2015 3:14 pm

EvanG wrote:Your dog will cheerfully accept the lowest standard you will tolerate.

EvanG
Excellent!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri May 22, 2015 5:48 am

EvanG wrote:Your dog will cheerfully accept the lowest standard you will tolerate.

EvanG
Now, how long did it take you to come up with that? One of the great quotes I've ever read Evan.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:56 am

EvanG
Excellent quote.
This can also be used on my kids.

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri May 22, 2015 10:03 am

I think the easiest answer here is make her hold it properly. Why are you allowing her to hold it like a cigar? Its okay to go back and revisit hold. Use the dummy and put it in her mouth and say Hold. You are the one positioning it so it should never be a cigar hold unless you are putting it in her mouth that way. Repetition leads to habit.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Fri May 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Choking up too far with your hand on the object when you're holding it can cause the dog to go for the end. Make sure you give the dog "enough bumper" to take.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri May 22, 2015 7:54 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I think the easiest answer here is make her hold it properly. Why are you allowing her to hold it like a cigar? Its okay to go back and revisit hold. Use the dummy and put it in her mouth and say Hold. You are the one positioning it so it should never be a cigar hold unless you are putting it in her mouth that way. Repetition leads to habit.
Very good post! Your dog's behavior is a reflection of his attitudes toward his work. Sloppy work is a result of a sloppy attitude.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum