7 month terrible 2's??

Eycee1

7 month terrible 2's??

Post by Eycee1 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:11 pm

So my female black lab just hit 7 months old and has reverted back to some habits from when i first brought her home at 7 and a half weeks. I know this is normal but extremely frustrating so just curious as to how you all pushed threw it.

She has "forgotten" the stay command for only when I put her in a sit and stay and walk away. I used to be able to walk a great distance from her and she would wait patiently until i called her but now once I start walking away she instantly runs over to me jumping and nipping at me and when i constantly reset her and enforce the stay its the same thing again to the point when she's jumping and nipping and not listening. She also has decided she's interested in the TV remotes and telephone once again.

She has also started digging. And now will vocalize when she does not want to do something. I know i should probably be starting formal training but this is my first lab i am training myself so i myself am still learning aswell. Should I start using a healing stick??

thanks....Hopefully this phase to will pass again.

CDN_Cocker

Re: 7 month terrible 2's??

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon May 25, 2015 4:35 pm

It won't pass unless you make it. She's becoming a teenager and realizing she doesn't have to listen to you. Start training harder, don't let her get away with it.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Eycee1

Post by Eycee1 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:47 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:It won't pass unless you make it. She's becoming a teenager and realizing she doesn't have to listen to you. Start training harder, don't let her get away with it.
i'm constantly reinforcing but it does not seem to take. I may use the gf to hold her in place while i walk away as a form of reinforcement.

Should i use a heeling stick to reinforce stay?

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon May 25, 2015 5:35 pm

Mine 20 month old starts a new problem every month . Last month I cured busting in on birds after point that started new in January. At this months trial she got DQ'd in 45 seconds for chaseing and bumping her brace mate. She hasn't done that since she was 12 months old. She is in dog heck now. Back to square one until she is super SOLID in every step. Drill, drill, drill.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon May 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Is she collar trained?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon May 25, 2015 7:22 pm

Eycee

Your post makes me wonder if you are following any particular training program :?

Eycee1

Post by Eycee1 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:04 am

I'm told this is the age they are going through changes and they will test you and some revert back but to just push through and train through. She is not collar conditioned yet. I was going to but linked up with a local trails club who said not to yet and made me start treating for 'Here" which i did not agree with. But now that i know she knows "here" i am weaning her off treats this week and most likely collar conditioning her to "here" this weekend.

CDN_Cocker.....I have Evan Grahams program but was slacking on it a bit, especially since linking up with the trials club but I am getting back on track with the program now and going to collar condition her to "here" and most likely introduce the Heeling Stick as well to correct the problems and segway into formal training. I hope i am not too far behind and pick up with Evans program again.

Think this is the right move?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue May 26, 2015 6:45 am

Is this your first gun dog?

I'm curious as to why the members of your club insist on you waiting to collar condition. Was it just a suggestion they made and you passively agreed? Did you ask their reasoning for waiting?

Personally I don't think 7 months is too young to begin collar conditioning if the individual dog understands pressure. That being said, I wonder if they are seeing something you aren't, and that's why they're saying to wait.

Good luck!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Eycee1

Post by Eycee1 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:46 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Is this your first gun dog?

I'm curious as to why the members of your club insist on you waiting to collar condition. Was it just a suggestion they made and you passively agreed? Did you ask their reasoning for waiting?

Personally I don't think 7 months is too young to begin collar conditioning if the individual dog understands pressure. That being said, I wonder if they are seeing something you aren't, and that's why they're saying to wait.

Good luck!
I've only met with a few of them a few times. One of them said that this age is way too young and to wait atleast another 6 months which i do not understand. He also told me my dog was timid, mind you it was her first time running with 5 other dogs off leash so it was new to her. Now im just confused. I think i just need to get back on track with Evan Grahams program and see how it goes.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue May 26, 2015 8:29 pm

I seldom do much of any kind of training until the pup's about a year old. I figure let the pup be a pup and get most the crap out of their system. I read about people, a lot of them, taking out a 6 mos old pup that first season and it does great. Then the next season it seem's to have forgot ever thing it learned, terrible two's! If you get a pup late spring of mid summer and let it be a pup then at ten month's or so start on field work, your working with a much more mature dog and training is a bunch easier and more important is the pup is going to be 18 mos + it's first season and will retain it's training better. A puppy usually wants to make you happy, a puppy started to soon get's to the point of where it want's to make itself happy. You give up one season with the pup to avoid those terrible two's!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mbender

Post by mbender » Wed May 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Stay away from the birds and work on obedience training. I introduced my lab to birds to early and we have problems with the retrieve that im still working on. He thinks it's fun to flush the birds but not bring them back. Get your commands down and start working on dummies. Maybe a puppy obedience class to start. Give the dog the sit command and if he breaks take him back to the spot and start over. This process is time consuming but pays off later for you. Any good hunting dog will test you several times during his life. Be consistant with your training and it will pay off in the long run. Good Luck