A chicken issue

Bacon1676

A chicken issue

Post by Bacon1676 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:52 am

I have a question that I he been pondering ever since I decided to get a GSP puppy. I live on a horse breeding farm that my wife works at in Kentucky. So, there are lots of animals and humans all over the place, none of which are a real concern other than the chickens one of the gals who also lives on the farm has (which are about 200 yards from my house). Now I personally don't care about what happens to the chickens, but for my wife's sanity and keeping the peace on the farm I'm gonna have to address this issue once I get the puppy home. Oh... Before I forget there are also the resident ducks which the owner of the farm loves, so he can't go after those either. I do plan on hunting with this dog. So, my question to all of you is how would you go about training a dog to avoid one type of bird, but not another without losing the want to hunt the "correct" birds?

This will be my first hunting dog I have ever owned or trained my self, by the way.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: A chicken issue

Post by polmaise » Fri May 29, 2015 6:57 am

The same way you will have to get the puppy used to your horses. Familiarisation.
'Kentucky Fried Chicken' sounds good :lol:

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri May 29, 2015 1:43 pm

We used to run horses down to Kentucky to be bred. Went to the Kingsland auction many times. Uncle and Aunt live outside shepardsville with a track and boarding barn there.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri May 29, 2015 2:27 pm

T.he same day you get your pup home, take it out to the chickens and ducks, do that everyday. 8 week old puppy's should have a hard time with adult chicken's and ducks. Squirt, Bodie and Stormy all were introduced to the chicken's here every day. Now they go in the hen house with me to collect eggs. Bodie and Squirt feel it's there duty to evict "bleep" birds that get in the hen house. they never touch a chicken. Just amazing what an adult chicken can teach an 8 week old pup!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

KingBishop3

Post by KingBishop3 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm in a similar situation myself, and as advised above that is pretty much how I have been handling the situation. Sassy and I go visit the chickens daily, sometimes multiple times. She is still a bit shy about the chickens due to their relative sizes. The parrot on the other hand... :?

Oddly enough Max, my recently deceased springer and a hunting fool, never gave the chickens a second glance despite the chicken coop being not 50ft from his kennel. He never had the benefit of such familiarisation either, since the chickens came after he was a mature adult. They are a good deal smarter than we give them credit for sometimes I think. Max knew the difference between my rifle and my shotgun. If I left the house carrying the rifle he never batted an eye, or made a whimper. If I was holding the shotgun... well... a whole different story. :wink:

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Fri May 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Yup. Ducks too, if you start the pups young. The 'yard' livestock and birds are not the same as 'field birds'. If it doesn't work, you can always kennel or tie out your dog. Keeping the peace is somewhat important in the long run.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:25 am

Cool... I never would have thought that just familiarization would be what it would takes, seemed too easy, but that works for me. Thanks guys I really appreciate the info. Major issue off my mind.