Ohio Training Grounds

ohsq

Ohio Training Grounds

Post by ohsq » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:28 pm

What is some of the best spots for working dogs this time of year in Ohio?? I have a few acres at my place in NW Ohio but was looking for some spots to let my pup run a little bigger. Was at Killdeer DT area Monday night but the grass and weeds were as tall as me. Kept an eye on my dog by watching the garmin, not much fun. Where do you folks train this time of year???

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Ohio Training Grounds

Post by shags » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:29 pm

List of dog training areas here
http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-tra ... eld-trials

I haven't been to all of them, but the ones I've seen have never been mowed or groomed and are just about useless. I've checked out the AEP training grounds in south central Ohio and they're bad, too.

If you are rural you might ask some landowners for permission to run your dog on their property; my neighbor and the farmer that leases the property allow me to run dogs as long as I'm careful about crops. It might be a stretch, but maybe you could check out Highland Rec Area in Michigan. It's not close, but maybe make a day of it. Their DNR burned there over a month ago and the cover should be fairly sparse.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:38 pm

The dog training grounds at Delaware get mowed FWIW.
Colin

Gooseman07

Ohio Training Grounds

Post by Gooseman07 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Delaware isn't bad but they do cut it short and there was some multiflora rose last I was there. I went to Resthaven the other week and I could throw a baseball all the way across it. It isn't very big. I'm in NW Ohio and have been just looking for what I would call CRP ground and go talk to the owner. I've also called a place on Airport Hwy in Holland and they want $20 for an hour to run my dog on their "dog training" grounds. Let me know if you want to try to get together sometime.

ohsq

Post by ohsq » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:06 pm

Thanks for the posts guys. I will check out Delaware!!!

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:40 am

ohsq wrote:I will check out Delaware!!!
Which one? http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Huntin ... %20Dog.pdf

MG