totally new to dog training

stumpy

totally new to dog training

Post by stumpy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:15 pm

I have a 14 month old GSP named Roscoe. He is a great dog and does well with general obediance comands. He loves to point birds (mostly pigeons) when we go for walks. I would love to get into field trials and maybe even some hunting (not many places to hunt upland birds in Middle Tennessee anymore). Is it to late to start training Roscoe for this? I know that most of the hunting comes from with-in, but I am just not sure how to start. Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: totally new to dog training

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:55 pm

stumpy wrote:I have a 14 month old GSP named Roscoe. He is a great dog and does well with general obediance comands. He loves to point birds (mostly pigeons) when we go for walks. I would love to get into field trials and maybe even some hunting (not many places to hunt upland birds in Middle Tennessee anymore). Is it to late to start training Roscoe for this? I know that most of the hunting comes from with-in, but I am just not sure how to start. Any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Stumpy,

Hey, I'm originally from Mt. Juliet. Spent a whole lot of time in your area.

Younger might have been better, but your dog is definitely not too old. Jump in there and give it a go!

The GSP Club of Middle TN has a couple or three field trials a year out at Percy Priest. I don't know any of the members, but I'm sure that we can find someone for you to talk to.

If you'd be interested in NAVHDA, I understand that the Middle TN group has new life and we have a member that frequents here. We can put you in touch.

Best,

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:07 pm

I sent an e-mail out to them today as well, I hope to get a response soon. I actually went to one of thier Field Trials last Feb. Everyone was very focused and not very chatty. I guess that is what competition brings.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:34 pm

I try to introduce myself to new people and talk, but it can be very hard to find the time when they are also free. Probably it is not that they are not chatty, rather very busy. Many of the trialers run more that one dog. They may be watching time because they have different dogs running on different courses and want to be ready when their time comes to run, also they probably want to watch the other dogs so they have an idea what type of performance they need to win and also see where birds have been found. There are other things that take time like taking care of horses , dogs, equipment. When trying to talk to a person that is actually responsible for putting the trial on he probably got up in the dark that day and has been busy ever since.I'm not trying to make excuses only trying to give some insight as to why some people may have been short with you. I have generally found trialers very friendly( especially if you ask questions about their dogs :lol: )
I suggest finding a GSP club in your area. You will meet a lot of people with the same interest and get a lot of help to start.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:48 pm

Try NSTRA, there just a bunch of good ole' boys. Or try a hunt test. There usually pretty layed back.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:33 pm

I fully understand why the guys were busy, I didn't mean to sound like I was put out. There was a lot of stuff going on, and I was like a little kid going to a football game for the first time. It was a little overwhelming at the time and Roscoe was still just a small puppy. In the time since I have come to understand how great it would be to share that type thing with him. He would be so happy to be able to perform like that. I will check into the NSTRA and I have an e-mail into the GSP club of Middle Tennessee. Thanks so much for the advice.

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:51 pm

Greg, I checked out the web page for the NAVHDA in Middle Tennessee and sent in a e-mail, but the page did not look like it had been updated in a while. If you could stear me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Stumpy (Geoff)