High energy lab?

68w

High energy lab?

Post by 68w » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:31 am

Hello everyone, I am new to the group and now I have a question about training a high energy lab.
I have been training for a few years with my very mild male lab. He has come along nicely given I'm the one training him. Lol. I offered to house a club members 3year old female with a field trial level of energy. Who it turns out is pregnant.
She was started and had done some dubble t but has not been worked in 6 months. I was told she will run through an 18 on a tri tronics. I would like to get her to work with me and she does want to please but she is having a hard time slowing down to make that happen. I would also like to get her to work at a lighter level on the collar. Anyone have any advice?

Dave

kcbullets

Re: High energy lab?

Post by kcbullets » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:04 am

I am wondering if the dog was ever obedience trained? From the sounds of it, you need to OB train the dog just as if it was a 6 month old dog. Back on leash, or check cord working commands. One command at a time until the dog knows the command and obeys it over 80% of the time. Then collar condition to a "known" command. The e-collar is used to reinforce (when necessary) a command so the dog already has to be taught the command. An 18 on a TT sounds like maybe a Garmin Delta. My opinion on that is get rid of it and get Garmin Pro 550 or Dogtra Edge RT.

I would work on sit, here, and heel. If he isn't steady on a leash, he will not ever be steady off leash. There is no magical method. It takes time, reps, and a lot of patience.

You also did not state what your goal was for the dog. Trials, hunting, ???? Either way, a dog that isn't manageable in the field is miserable to be around. Yard work, train, more yard work and more training. The e-collar should only be used to reinforce a known behavior. The only way to determine if the dog truly understands the command, he/she follows it most all the time without reinforcement. Use the leash with pinch collar for sit. The pinch collar is the correction early on.

I recommend getting an OB training dvd, possibly Smartworks by Evan Graham. There are several others too. Watch the video and follow the program. NO SHORTCUTS..

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:31 am

I would add to research the following to find a program that fits you. Evan Graham (Smartworks), Bill Hillman, Lardy
Also check out the leerburg.com website (michael ellis). Some of his videos on dog training are amazing.

68w

Post by 68w » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:19 am

I used Lardy for my male but I am going to use smart works with her. I have talked to Evan a few times and I really like that he is available if you have questions.
We are doing on leash ob in the yard now. It sucks cuz I saw her run in training last year and she was good for a started dog working on seasons stuff.
As far as end product I want to hunt her and test in hrc.
Thanks for the advice. I will be back with updates and questions soon.

Dave

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:49 pm

68w wrote:Hello everyone, I am new to the group and now I have a question about training a high energy lab.
I have been training for a few years with my very mild male lab. He has come along nicely given I'm the one training him. Lol. I offered to house a club members 3year old female with a field trial level of energy. Who it turns out is pregnant.
What are friends for, right? Not to mention a friend who apparently hasn't much of a clue on retriever training if you've been "told she will run through an 18 on a tri tronics." Fellow club member of what, your local kilowatt club?

Good luck and maybe you can return the "favor" some time.

MG

68w

Post by 68w » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:14 pm

Crackerd that was over the top funny. Thank you for that.
I can't stop laughing .

Dave

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:36 am

And the Dog is pregnant? STOP!!!!!!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:55 am

My "philosophy" on gundog training is simple..... " Do what works, do not do what does not work." The e-collar (probably due to misuse ?) is not working so stop using it, or at least stop using it in the way it was previously used.

I think the bitch needs to be trained rather than zapped.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:38 am

Tight drills with a heeling stick. There is no such thing as a high energy lab, just lax trainers.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

kcbullets

Post by kcbullets » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:02 pm

Well I have owned a high energy lab myself. I could have done a better job with OB which would have helped and if I had it to do all over again I would have went about it differently with this dog. But the dog was super high energy and absolutely miserable to be around. I sold the dog informing the new owner exactly what he was getting. Even with taking a different approach, the dog would have been to much for my liking. Now I have a lab that is 10 months old and it is very laid back. Sometimes too much.. ha From one extreme to another. But this lab pup now is pleasant to be around and train. Great personality. The other was a devil child. I am sure an expert handler would have made a difference. But I don't consider myself a lax trainer by any stretch of the imagination.

68w

Post by 68w » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Well she stopped bouncing around long enough to birth 9 pups this morning while I was at work. There was a surprise to come home for lunch to find.
Now for a new question. I will start a new thread for it. Thanks everyone[img][img][/img][/img]