VIDEO: Learning to Manage Running Chukar

Higgins

VIDEO: Learning to Manage Running Chukar

Post by Higgins » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:57 pm

Here is a client's dog, Ruger, and his first experience learning to manage a running chukar. His job here, as with all running birds, is to manage the bird with just enough pressure to get it to stop, but not so much as to make it flush. If you look closely, you can see the bird running in front of the dog. You can also hear me helping him control his energy. He listens and responds to my timing and the tone of my voice. I don't use any type of "whoa" training in my program so if Ruger decided to break and try to catch or chase the bird, he is free to do so, and he knows it. He did a great job. He managed the bird carefully and chose to stop at the perfect time (he was not stopped by the dragging check cord). The bird stopped running and held for the shooter. Ruger was then steady to wing and shot. A great example of trust and free will. He knows I'm there to help him make successful decisions. Once the bird was shot, he was released to retrieve (successfully get the bird in his mouth).

https://youtu.be/8Zp63SSg54U

Brad Higgins
http://www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: VIDEO: Learning to Manage Running Chukar

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Very interesting. Certainly the way to do it with that terrain. I assume the bird just decided to flush . Would you have continued on with the pursuit until the bird flushed?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Griffonpoint

Post by Griffonpoint » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:01 pm

Sharon wrote:Very interesting. Certainly the way to do it with that terrain. I assume the bird just decided to flush . Would you have continued on with the pursuit until the bird flushed?
Hi Sharon,

Yes, the dog managed this bird until the bird knew that running wasn't working. The bird then tried a different option, tucking into cover and flushed as I approached and shot it, I think you can see the bird flush in the video.

Like Brad says in the video description, "His job here, as with all running birds, is to manage the bird with just enough pressure to get it to stop, but not so much as to make it flush."

This was this Weim's first time working with running chukar. Brad helped the pup this time, but with more experience, the pup will learn to read the birds and terrain. He will eventually get really good at putting just the right amount of pressure on the birds to get them to stop so either the shooter can flush or the dog can be cued to flush for the gun. Some birds run hard and the dog has to read the situation, keep a wider distance but keep up. Once the dog is mentally Steady and seasoned, he can't lose...unless the gun doesn't hold up its end of the bargain, lol.

Back to your question... Our goal is to manage until the bird either tucks into cover to be flushed, or flushes for the gun. The dog must of course, be Steady when the bird flushes. If birds run so hard and fast that the dog loses them before they flush for the gun...well, that's chukar hunting, lol. I've heard of hunters finally shooting them on the ground. But that's another story.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5042678 ... 700596056/

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:24 am

Brad also says in his signature,
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work.
I guess the key words for the day, were "easy now," and a strong "HEEEEYYYYYYY."
lol. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:57 am

I do much the same thing with my dogs when hunting pheasant or blackgame or maybe redleg partridge. I use a whistle instead of my voice , one tiny pip means stop until told to move on again. Voice is used only as a very quietly given back-up when very close to the dog. We have a widely held theory here that the human voice scares game so we worry it would flush the birds rather than the dog doing it as we require here.

Birds that run do give problems and I accept that some birds are going to escape no matter what I do or how well the dog can follow them.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:27 pm

Griffonpoint wrote:
Sharon wrote:Very interesting. Certainly the way to do it with that terrain. I assume the bird just decided to flush . Would you have continued on with the pursuit until the bird flushed?
Hi Sharon,

Yes, the dog managed this bird until the bird knew that running wasn't working. The bird then tried a different option, tucking into cover and flushed as I approached and shot it, I think you can see the bird flush in the video.

Like Brad says in the video description, "His job here, as with all running birds, is to manage the bird with just enough pressure to get it to stop, but not so much as to make it flush."

This was this Weim's first time working with running chukar. Brad helped the pup this time, but with more experience, the pup will learn to read the birds and terrain. He will eventually get really good at putting just the right amount of pressure on the birds to get them to stop so either the shooter can flush or the dog can be cued to flush for the gun. Some birds run hard and the dog has to read the situation, keep a wider distance but keep up. Once the dog is mentally Steady and seasoned, he can't lose...unless the gun doesn't hold up its end of the bargain, lol.

Back to your question... Our goal is to manage until the bird either tucks into cover to be flushed, or flushes for the gun. The dog must of course, be Steady when the bird flushes. If birds run so hard and fast that the dog loses them before they flush for the gun...well, that's chukar hunting, lol. I've heard of hunters finally shooting them on the ground. But that's another story.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5042678 ... 700596056/

Thanks for the feedback. That young dog was very responsive to you. Great to see.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Griffonpoint

Post by Griffonpoint » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Sharon wrote:Thanks for the feedback. That young dog was very responsive to you. Great to see.
Thanks for that. It's so cool to see a young, green dog get into a completely new situation and be responsive (to cautioning) as you say. Once he has seen running birds a time or two more, there will be no need to help him, vocally or with any other commands. Once he's seen how being Steady and responsive leads to a bird in his mouth a time or two, he can make a mistake, resulting in losing his bird. Then he can make his choice.

All the best,

Katy

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 am

Trekmoor wrote:I do much the same thing with my dogs when hunting pheasant or blackgame or maybe redleg partridge. I use a whistle instead of my voice , one tiny pip means stop until told to move on again. Voice is used only as a very quietly given back-up when very close to the dog. We have a widely held theory here that the human voice scares game so we worry it would flush the birds rather than the dog doing it as we require here.

Birds that run do give problems and I accept that some birds are going to escape no matter what I do or how well the dog can follow them.

Bill T.
Exactly and precisely. I have used an Acme 210 1/2 pip for so many years. Voice a real driving influence on game.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:51 pm

I'm under the impression that whistle use is more common with spaniel trainers than pointing breed trainers.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:52 pm

Sharon wrote:I'm under the impression that whistle use is more common with spaniel trainers than pointing breed trainers.

Acme 210 1/2 pea-less. A favorite among spaniel owner/handlers all over the world!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tsHWn9 ... e=youtu.be
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.