Help finding a trainer

Emaisch1080

Help finding a trainer

Post by Emaisch1080 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:49 am

Hey guys. New to the forum and new to dogs. I have a 7 month old Brittany that has had about 6 weeks formal training about 2 hrs away. I was wondering if anyone knew of trainers in the Philadelphia area for some work through the summer. He's gun broke and points well. Needs work on retrieving. He just doesn't like to do it for fun. He will fetch anything for treats so I know he knows the command.

GWPtyler

Re: Help finding a trainer

Post by GWPtyler » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm not good at geography, but I did discover there are four NAVHDA chapter in PA. I'd get in contact with the closest one to you and join in on a training night ... or four: http://www.navhda.us/ChapterInfo.aspx?ChapterAbbrev=SUS

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:24 am

My experience is with pointers and field trial trainers for the most part, so I would not be the best person to recommend a trainer for retrieving work.

I do know here are a number of trainers in central and southern NJ, most not too awful far from Phila. There are also several trainers in the area west and north of Philly as well.

I would contact both your PA Navhda and one of the NJ Navhda groups and pick the brains of the officers. I know one of the NJ Navhda clubs trains at Colliers Mills WMA in southern NJ. There is also the Maryland Sporting Dog Association ( I think they just changed their name to Midlantic Sporting Dog Assn.) out of the Northern Md. area, the York Pointer and Setter Club with grounds in Wellsville, PA, the Freeland club up in Weatherly, PA and the English Setter Club in Medford, NJ. Most of these clubs have professional trainers who are members and who either train there or train members dogs, so you may get some solid recommendations for what you want your dog to be schooled on.

RayG

FWIW, 7 mos is pretty young. I would advise patience, especially with a Brittany. They do tend to be a bit softer or temperament than some of the pointing breeds. You do not want to shut the dog down.

I personally would focus much more on the obedience work, heel, whoa, come and kennel, and THEN, would shift focus to pointing and holding point, before I would get serious about retrieving. I would want the dog to be bird crazy first, so I would do field work and pigeon work with the pup well before getting serious about retrieving. I would especially would do whatever I could to have the dog understand that this is, and should be, great fun, for both of you. YOU should be having fun with your pup. Please remember that.

If a puppy, especially a Brittany is not having fun, you probably aren't getting anything useful accomplished. Keep it fun for both of you.

If you are not doing anything today, the English Setter Club is having its annual meeting today. I believe guests are welcome. Medford, NJ is about an hour east of Philly.

Emaisch1080

Post by Emaisch1080 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:25 am

Thanks. That's good advice. I will be looking into navdha and reaching out to the local chapters. I had him out Saturday working with pigeons. He does well. Everything you listed he does except for heeling. The trainer didn't touch on that. He turns on two toots and comes with one long blast of the whistle. Steady to wing, although he did go in on the last pigeon of the day while it was in a tip up releaser. And that was disappointing. I think he figured out that they couldn't get out and flush. He comes from a long line of field trial champions. I was unaware that they didn't retrieve until I contacted his breeder in Indiana and she informed me about that. I really don't understand why that wouldn't be part of the trial. It's part of the hunt. I've already had situations where the bird went down in some think stuff that I couldn't get in and he could. I know he was in there mouthing it but that would be a lost bird during the season.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:12 pm

I trained FF myself. First time ever. My Britt fetches perfect on command after shot and drop. It was not that hard. I watched several videos on FF. My pup loved to chew on people so using the method of wearing a leather glove and letting her hold my gloved hand in her mouth to teach hold worked out great. I built a ff table but a cable between 2 trees or stakes would work. Just a little harder on your back. heck is needed. That is just yard work. I used the Delmar Smith book and younger Smith boys methods for most of the training. The present trainer that I work with on finish work stresses getting in front of the dog and get eye contact along with commands. It really makes a difference.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:21 am

Emaisch1080 wrote:Thanks. That's good advice. I will be looking into navdha and reaching out to the local chapters. I had him out Saturday working with pigeons. He does well. Everything you listed he does except for heeling. The trainer didn't touch on that. He turns on two toots and comes with one long blast of the whistle. Steady to wing, although he did go in on the last pigeon of the day while it was in a tip up releaser. And that was disappointing. I think he figured out that they couldn't get out and flush. He comes from a long line of field trial champions. I was unaware that they didn't retrieve until I contacted his breeder in Indiana and she informed me about that. I really don't understand why that wouldn't be part of the trial. It's part of the hunt. I've already had situations where the bird went down in some think stuff that I couldn't get in and he could. I know he was in there mouthing it but that would be a lost bird during the season.

There is a difference between not being REQUIRED to retrieve and being able to retrieve.

Brittanys. as a breed, are not REQUIRED to retrieve during the course of field trials. Neither are Setters(of any type) or pointers. Only the continental breeds(shorthairs, Vislak, wires, Weims, Drathaars, etc) are REQUIRED to retrieve in AKC field trials to achieve champion status... and they are not REQUIRED to retrieve in all stakes, either, only enough to demonstrate the ability.

In Hunt Tests, whether they be AKC or NAVHDA, all participants are required to retrieve at the more finished levels. There are plenty of Britts with Master Hunter titles. I am of the opinion that most bird dogs(of any breed) will retrieve, if they are encouraged to. Believe it.

FWIW I have seen a whole lot of dogs that were not REQUIRED to retrieve in field trials, do a fine job of retrieving in the field. That includes plenty of Britts. I run pointers and they have not had a retrieve requirement in their field trials for about a hundred years. Mine will retrieve just fine if I ask them to. It is in the genes. I would not worry about it.

RayG