Ticks

bmumph

Ticks

Post by bmumph » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:50 am

I went out for a training session this weekend and had to pull about 10 ticks off my dog. After a bath and searching her for more ticks, I hoped I got them all. Now this morning, my 4 year old has one crawling on her. Luckily it hadn't bitten her yet. The wife isn't too happy. What does everyone use to keep the Ticks off their dog?

Thanks,

art hubbard

Re: Ticks

Post by art hubbard » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:08 am

K9 advantix II, works great for ticks, fleas etc. never see ticks or fleas on my dogs..

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:13 am

how do you know the dog brought in the tick you found on your daughter?
honestly I could just as easily been on you. just a thought.

I been using a seresto collar for the last few years with good results
I still find a few , but they are dead or dying when I do find em.
since none of the meds are true repellents ,that about all you can expect from any of them

bmumph

Post by bmumph » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:04 am

twistedoak wrote:how do you know the dog brought in the tick you found on your daughter?
honestly I could just as easily been on you. just a thought.

I been using a seresto collar for the last few years with good results
since none of the meds are true repellents ,that about all you can expect from any of them
I guess you are correct, the tick could have come from me. But since a found 10+ ticks on the dog and they are more difficult to see on her as opposed to me, odds are the tick came from the dog. And I still need to try to control the number of ticks on her.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 am

If there are ticks in your yarfd or training ground you both had them on you. Makes no difference where it came from. If your 4 year old gets outside or your wife, and I sure hope they both do, you all are exposed. Try the collars for the dog bit the rest of you will have to resort to self inspection. It happens to all of us.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:00 pm

twistedoak wrote:I been using a seresto collar for the last few years with good results
I just started using a Seresto collar this year, and it works better on my dog than any of the topical one-a-month applications. Like this poster, the only ticks I have found on my dog since using the collar have been dead or dying, and even they are rare.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:50 pm

I have found k9 advantix II to be the most effective
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:17 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I have found k9 advantix II to be the most effective
x2
I wish I could use it on my self- dogs have no ticks but I come in with them from the field even using Permethrin. No deer ticks on me yet though- just wood ticks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

smittty

Post by smittty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:48 pm

ive been using the seresto collars on my two dogs for the last three months and have not found a tick on the dogs but each time out I pic three or more off me the one day I pick 11 off me so the collars work

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:13 pm

ive been using the seresto collars
are they safe for puppies?

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:31 pm

I've used Frontline Plus for many years. Never had a tick or flea on my dog. I know there are less expensive alternatives but I've stuck with what has worked for me.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

aksportsman

Post by aksportsman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:19 pm

I use K9 Advantics as well works great, my dog will pick them up hunting, but they die in less than 24 hrs and never really attach themselves. word of advice, get a preventative quick! I had a friend who took his lab out last week that was not up to date on her meds, less than a day later tick paralysis had set in and really sent him for a scare, not something you want your dog to go through.

I have become somewhat paranoid with ticks lately the red meat allergy caused by the lone star ticks is something I could certainly do without. Not sure what life would be like not eating another steak or venison backstrap! I duck tape my pant legs in some areas that I know are particularly bad for ticks and double check when I get home.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:34 pm

MNTonester wrote:
ive been using the seresto collars
are they safe for puppies?
7+ weeks they say

http://www.seresto.com/en/seresto-for-dogs/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett