House breaking problems

Sooners30

House breaking problems

Post by Sooners30 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:21 am

Hello everyone this is my first post and first time training a gundog, so I'll be seeking y'all's advice a lot!

I've had my puppy since the 12th of this month, he's currently 9wks old, so it may be that he's still pretty young or he's still getting into the routine, I'm not sure, I just need advice. He currently does pretty good peeing outside, he may have an accident every once in awhile if I'm not looking. The big issue has been he's going pee in his crate during the day. He'll sleep all night from 10pm-6 in the morning no problem but the issue is when I leave him for 2-3 hrs during the day. I'm using an intermediate size rough tough kennel, but have made it smaller to about 7in deep. I originally was putting towels in there for him to sleep on, but go tired of washing them, so it's now just the bare bottom. I need help because it's driving me crazy, is this just a phase or is it something I'm doing/what are some solutions.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:17 pm

No expert here but seems like 2-3 hours may be a lil long for a 9 week old to hold it.
I got up every 2-3 hours ar night to let mine out. When i thought she was making it through the night it turned out she was having accidents.

Waterfowler21

Re: House breaking problems

Post by Waterfowler21 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:22 pm

It's normal for them not to be able to hold their bladder that long. The older the pup gets the longer they'll hold it. Try not giving water before you leave it kenneled too.

Sooners30

Post by Sooners30 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:00 pm

What about putting towels or blankets in the kennel? I've heard that they'll some times just pee on those then push them to the corner.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:02 pm

It takes about 16 weeks for them to get control their bladders and then they'll still have accidents
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Exactly.
2-3 hours is too long for house breaking. How big is his crate? It should be just big enough or pup to stand up and turn around. Any larger and he'll use 1/2 for a toilet. Many folks buy the crates with the sliding divider. As pup grows they get rid of the divider. Not to worry. This too shall pass. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sooners30

Post by Sooners30 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 pm

Thank y'all for the help!