5 month old Vizsla training

Waterfowler21

5 month old Vizsla training

Post by Waterfowler21 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:16 am

Hi I have a 9 week old Vizsla and I plan on getting her out looking for Pheasants this fall. I am debating on sending her off to a trainer this September and then working her in October myself. I am a bit concerned that with her only being 5 months by Sep, that being away for a month could be traumatizing for her. I want to use the trainer because I have heard nothing but good things and they specialize in V's. I am concerned about training her myself because I am a first time owner and I live about 30-45 minutes from somewhere with birds. I am worried I won't be able to engage her enough for her first year. From who I have talked to it seems to be split between the "let her be a puppy and worry about training hard for hunting next year" and "get her out asap as much as you can" crowd. What are all your thoughts? Thank you all!
Last edited by Waterfowler21 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: To train or not to train?

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:34 am

IMO...since you are right at that 5-6 month age I would personally keep her with you and YOU take her out hunting, running, bumping, chasing as much as possible. YOU build the bond with her and teach her basic commands, here (recall), no, kennel, how to get lost ;) and found, etc. Then once the season is over and the trainer has settled back in (Nov./Dec., whenever) send her out. She will be more mature, more attentive, etc. JMO. But remember if you keep her home with you, you need to get her out and on birds. Preferably wild, but definitely ones she can't catch...pigeons or lightly planted.

clink83

Post by clink83 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:46 am

I personally would take a 6 month old pup hunting(as long as it knows basic field commands) and wait till it was a year old to send it to a trainer. If you get 10 years of enjoyment out of your dog 6 months isn't long to wait.

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:43 am

It depends on what the trainer is going to do. If the trainer is going to run the pup and maybe work on pattern a little in areas with birds and let the pup knock and chase, then it may be a great idea. If the trainer is actually trying to break the dog at this point, then I think it is too early.

RaiderZach

Re: 5 month old Vizsla training

Post by RaiderZach » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:52 pm

I am in the same boat as you, trying to figure out what is best and our Vizslas are close in age (mine is 5 months today).

I get mixed opinions too on when to send him to the trainer but one thing is constant... "get him on birds early and often". Buy pigeons, do whatever you gotta do... but get her around birds asap.

I'm toying with September for his training, but I may just try to break him myself... gulp.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:15 pm

1 month at trainer wont accomplish anything that you cant do yourself at that age anyway.

RaiderZach

Post by RaiderZach » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:49 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:1 month at trainer wont accomplish anything that you cant do yourself at that age anyway.
My problem is one of equipment, access to birds, and a place to shoot over him

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:49 pm

RaiderZach wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:1 month at trainer wont accomplish anything that you cant do yourself at that age anyway.
My problem is one of equipment, access to birds, and a place to shoot over him
One month wont change any of that with most V's. You can do all of the yard work (obed) and any good Trainer wouldn't want to take on a 5mo. old expecting to achieve what you are looking for in one month. Do you have a yard, local park or a "friend" with a half acre and a 20 ft. long checkcord?... That's all you need at that age with only one month to work with. Either give the trainer more time or my humble opinion would be to slow down on your expectations.

I'm pretty sure you have some good clubs there that can help with such a young dog.

Waterfowler21

Post by Waterfowler21 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:15 am

Yes we are starting puppy camp this week to help get her playing nice with other dogs. What you have all said makes sense I think I will wait until next spring. I guess I was just worried that would be too late if I don't get her enough exposure this fall.