Puppy Training Companion Book to Delmar Smith's Method?

Twhjelmgren28

Puppy Training Companion Book to Delmar Smith's Method?

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:01 am

Hey there,

I'm purchasing a red setter pup in the near future and I'm looking for a good basic training guide for the pup in the first year. However, I do want to try and be as consistent as possible, especially once I start getting her into bird training later on. I plan on using the Delmar Smith Method for training her on birds as many people rave about this method - unless there are strong recommendations for another (I've heard great things about the perfect start / perfect finish DVDs as well). I did pick up the Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete and it seems to have very similar principles in dog training (i.e. let the dog help train itself). Essentially, I'm looking for a puppy training book that would work well in conjunction with the Delmar Smith method.

Also, any other recommendations on training / training guides / training methods for puppies or for hunting are appreciated. Thank you!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy Training Companion Book to Delmar Smith's Method?

Post by Neil » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:53 am

Twhjelmgren28 wrote:Hey there,

I'm purchasing a red setter pup in the near future and I'm looking for a good basic training guide for the pup in the first year. However, I do want to try and be as consistent as possible, especially once I start getting her into bird training later on. I plan on using the Delmar Smith Method for training her on birds as many people rave about this method - unless there are strong recommendations for another (I've heard great things about the perfect start / perfect finish DVDs as well). I did pick up the Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete and it seems to have very similar principles in dog training (i.e. let the dog help train itself). Essentially, I'm looking for a puppy training book that would work well in conjunction with the Delmar Smith method.

Also, any other recommendations on training / training guides / training methods for puppies or for hunting are appreciated. Thank you!
Delmar did a VHS video that might still be available. Rick also has some DVD s, do a Google. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:17 pm

Rick Smith and Ronnie Smith have DVDs. Google Team Huntsmith or Silent Command System.

But here's the thing. IMO you get a lot more out of the DVD if you attend one of their training seminars first. The seminars are kind of pricey but not as bad as some. Start saving up. The seminar will change your life as far as dogs go. You get to take your dog and work him right there. You learn a ton from Rick/Ronnie, and also from other attendees. Best money I've spent dog-wise, and I have spent a LOT :lol:

Twhjelmgren28

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:07 am

Awesome! I'll look into the Smith DVDs / VHS to supplement the book.

I plan on sticking with one method and have been leaning towards the Delmar Smith Method. I guess I wanted to ask a follow-up question to see if anyone would recommend the perfect start / perfect finish DVDs over the smith method. Are there pro's or con's for one versus the other?

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:13 pm

I also have a question along this same line. Here is the situation. My daughter and her family (husband plus 2 kids 8 & 6) bought a quite well bred Brittany pup a year ago. My daughter has taken a few dog obedience classes with the dog but that is about it. They are in the process of moving so I have had the dog for a week and a half. This dog basically knows nothing so I've been working on some basic obedience plus getting her out in the field to run and explore. She has already changed a bunch. Her first year was spent in the house or fenced backyard and being taken for a walk a few times a week. My grandkids are not well behaved and seem to thrive on running and screaming. (That's whole issue by itself). Plus her husband does not interact well with the dog and judging by the dog's reaction around men I'm quite sure he has beaten her. Anyway, I'll have the dog for another week or two and then she go back to my daughter's. I've been visiting with my daughter and been very straight forward about the issues I see with this dog and her kids and husband. So the first thing my daughter needs to do is train her family. I'm too far away to work with the dog on a regular basis so my question is what would be a good book and/or dvd to get me daughter to help her with the dogs basic training. I don't even want to start the dog on any hunting training until the other issues are corrected as it would be an effort in futility. I think this dog can be a good dog and probably a decent hunting dog if handled properly. Unfortunately they cannot afford to hire a professional trainer. Some thoughts and advice would be appreciated. sorry to have hi-jacked this thread.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:22 pm

Ronnie Smith trained my dog last year. I had an excellent season. I watched the videos so I knew what my dog was going through. Also visited often to get myself trained.

I've heard good things about Perfect Start but no experience myself.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:52 pm

The original question is loaded ! ?..probably not meant to be ?...But it leads down the path of 'what's every ones champion' ?..

Get in touch with someone nearby that suits your style of mentor ...?
Sometimes , It's better to understand what the dog the dogs language rather than wanting the dog to understand yours :wink:

Twhjelmgren28

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:38 pm

polmaise wrote:
The original question is loaded ! ?..probably not meant to be ?...But it leads down the path of 'what's every ones champion' ?..

Get in touch with someone nearby that suits your style of mentor ...?
Sometimes , It's better to understand what the dog the dogs language rather than wanting the dog to understand yours :wink:
I don't know that it's loaded . . . I'm not assuming anything. I'm just trying to learn about as many different training methods as possible so I can choose the one that suits the way I would like to train the dog in addition to what fits the dog. I'm not looking for a mentor; I'm looking for training methods in book or DVD form. I do appreciate the advice, however.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Twhjelmgren28 wrote:Awesome! I'll look into the Smith DVDs / VHS to supplement the book.

I plan on sticking with one method and have been leaning towards the Delmar Smith Method. I guess I wanted to ask a follow-up question to see if anyone would recommend the perfect start / perfect finish DVDs over the smith method. Are there pro's or con's for one versus the other?

I can not give my opinion on the smith method, but in my opinion the perfect start/finish is the most complete DvD set out there I have seen and I have a pile of um, also perfection kennels has training clinics with in drive distance of your location, there well worth the money

Just my 2 CENTS

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:44 pm

I used " Gun Dog" by Wolters for basic puppy obedience then moved on to "Best way to train your gun dog" by Tarrant. Both books are in my local library. No expense. Verses $275.00 perfect start perfect finish. I do not know what your finances are. I worked recently with a pro that showed me how to communicate with my dog. Eye contact is important. Good luck. Go slow and have fun.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 am

Twhjelmgren28 wrote: I'm just trying to learn about as many different training methods as possible so I can choose the one that suits the way I would like to train the dog in addition to what fits the dog. I'm not looking for a mentor; I'm looking for training methods in book or DVD form. I do appreciate the advice, however.
Learning about many different training methods starting from a base of inexperience can be confusing for the dog and owner.Any one that has the experience to advise you on what best fits the dog would have to see the dog. Is what I was trying to say .
Why not write a daily journal of the way you like to train the dog along side the Delmar Smith method ? You will have that book forever.

Brian Mills

Post by Brian Mills » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:19 am

Dogs can not read books ,but they can sure as heck read you .Best if you learn to read them :wink:

Twhjelmgren28

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:01 am

oldbeek wrote:I used " Gun Dog" by Wolters for basic puppy obedience then moved on to "Best way to train your gun dog" by Tarrant. Both books are in my local library. No expense. Verses $275.00 perfect start perfect finish. I do not know what your finances are. I worked recently with a pro that showed me how to communicate with my dog. Eye contact is important. Good luck. Go slow and have fun.

The cost was kind of my hang-up on the perfect start perfect finish though I've heard it's well worth it.

Thanks for all of the advice; I do appreciate it. It sounds like I should seriously consider some in-person training programs or seminars. I'll definitely take your advice Polmaise, regarding the journal related to training and how well it fits the Smith method.

Thanks again everyone.

FlyingDutchman12

Post by FlyingDutchman12 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:43 am

I still find myself going back to this book from time to time.

Hunt Close! By Jerome B. Robinson

It's old now, but still useful. I can also echo the recommendation that you consider attending Rick Smith's seminars. Worth the money in my opinion and a fun way to spend a weekend.
-FlyingDutchman
"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies." -Gene Hill

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:49 am

The Best Way to Train your Gundog - The Delmar Smith Method.

The book is a great read. You should read the book but also buy the DVDs. The book is very old and the methods have been modified over the years. Rick and Ronnie smith train with these methods and produce extremely nice bird dogs. The book uses a Pinch Collar, this method is no longer used by the Smith's. They still use the WHOA post but not with the pinch collar. Rick only trains his personal dogs now but Ronnie still trains for the public. I agree with the above suggestions, If you can get to a seminar with Rick or Ronnie Smith you will learn more than you will learn from 100 books and/or videos.

Twhjelmgren28

Post by Twhjelmgren28 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Kellym wrote:The Best Way to Train your Gundog - The Delmar Smith Method.

The book uses a Pinch Collar, this method is no longer used by the Smith's.
I was actually just skimming over that section related to the pinch collar last night and was kind of hoping there was a way around that. I assume they just stick to a regular collar for the exercises that Delmar used a pinch collar (???). Any additional info on that would be helpful.

After all of the responses I am planning on getting the Smith DVDs and saving up for the seminars. Thanks again for all of the responses.

jfwhit

Post by jfwhit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:36 pm

PM sent

nritacco

Post by nritacco » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:53 am

Re: Pinch collar...

The 1st DVD shows Delmar using one of his 12' Wonder Leads in place of the pinch collar.

I like to read and collect training books, and have several different ones. I like Richard Wolters a lot, but have to say Delmar's approach is my favorite so far.

I hope to attend one of the Smith's classes someday. Never heard anything but +'s about the experience.

Lastly, don't forget to just have a fun working with your pup. Personally, I'm not clear what the point is otherwise.