Puppy growling on couch

bongo2363

Puppy growling on couch

Post by bongo2363 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Our gsp puppy is 14 weeks and we are haveing issues with growling when being taken off the furniture. She sleeps in her crate at nite but a few times we let her on the bed early morning after going potty. The first time she growled was when my bf took her off the bed to bring her back to the crate. We then decided no more bed for her until she's older. Then she began jumping on the couch and we allowed that because she will usually just calm down and sleep before we put her back in the crate for naps. Well today we are dog sitting for her sister who is also her litter mate and they played really well all day. Later in the evening they were both on the couch napping with me alone and my bf went to pick her up first to crate her and she growled louder than before and gave a sharp bark towards him. He then yelled NO loudly and put her on her the floor on her back until she knew she was wrong for doing that, and then put her in the crate. We also crated her sister after that too.
So now we are concerned about this behavior because I've been working hard to make sure she has no food/toy aggression and she never gets angry when taking anything away from her. She's in a puppy obedience class and has been socialized with people, kids and dogs frequently since we had her at 8 weeks. We both love and adore her and give her lots of affection but maybe spoiling her too much? Although it is not acceptable, do you think her sister also being on the couch had something to do with it?
Any advice on how to stop this behavior would be appreciated because I'm really shocked and upset that this happened :(

mnaj_springer

Re: Puppy growling on couch

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:51 pm

The way I deal with a growling dog is to pick them up by the scruff of her neck, shake her a little (not a lot), and growl "no!" I don't tolerate any aggression. It usually only happens once.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:56 am

It sounds like your bf applied a timely correction.

Chances are your pup is getting to think she is the Queen B around your place. You need to adjust that attitude. No more bed, no more couch, no more anything but the floor or crate; make her wait for her meals until you set down the pan and give her the OK to eat; don't allow her to crowd in front of you going through doors. You get the picture - you and he rule the roost, never the dog. The house is yours, not hers, so claim your space. Don't fall back on the excuse that the other pup's presence caused that aggression. Doesn't matter why she did that, it's not allowed. Period.

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:44 am

I figured we would need to buckle down on the freedom in the house, I do baby her but I try to set boundaries too. We were shocked though because we thought gsp's usually have great temperaments and the last dog he had since HS was a Poodle mix and a bit everyone. We want to make sure we're raising her right to be a good girl.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:47 am

bongo2363 wrote:I figured we would need to buckle down on the freedom in the house, I do baby her but I try to set boundaries too. We were shocked though because we thought gsp's usually have great temperaments and the last dog he had since HS was a Poodle mix and a bit everyone. We want to make sure we're raising her right to be a good girl.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BavajBazt0

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:51 am

Where do I sign up, LOL....That's so true, every trainer I've known told me that the owners need to be trained first!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:52 am

Make the correction quick, firm enough so she has no doubt who is in charge and over with. Do not drag it out. Holding her down until she submits tends to antagonize some and makes it harder for them to get it. Babying is fine but do it on your terms.
GSPs do generally have good temperaments, but they are dogs and like to get their way in the pack. Just put the smack down before it gets out of control and she will be fine ...........................Cj

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:04 am

She did it to him again this morning, jumped on the couch, he went to take her off and she growled. He gave the correction right away and then let her outside to go potty. Hope we can stop this soon :!:

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:09 am

It'll come if you are consistent. Every dog tries to test boundaries in some way, shape or form. Was she the dominant female in her litter?
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:41 am

mnaj_springer wrote:It'll come if you are consistent. Every dog tries to test boundaries in some way, shape or form. Was she the dominant female in her litter?
Not sure if she was the dominant one but the breeder did say that she was more aggressive than her sister as a pup. I did call the breeder and he said we made the right corrections and that she's acting like the queen bee as most of you said too. I called our vet too, she's raised pointers since she was a little girl, and this was her response:
"No couch, no bed. No anything that is a privilege since this makes her think she is higher in the pack. You need to keep her as low on the totem pole as you can. This is a form of dominence aggression so look for help with that."

Guess we will have to be patient and consistent, thanks.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:36 am

NILIF - google it.

Nothing In Life Is Free

It's a great system for dealing with resource guarding or other issues.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:38 am

You are worrying too much about what might happen. I usually just ignore that it a pup, if they escalate to a nip or bite, I ask them not to do that. You can make puppy raising way too hard by over thinking it and getting conflicting advice from too many people. Be firm and enjoy the experience.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:55 am

bongo2363 wrote:Our gsp puppy is 14 weeks and we are haveing issues with growling when being taken off the furniture. She sleeps in her crate at nite but a few times we let her on the bed early morning after going potty. The first time she growled was when my bf took her off the bed to bring her back to the crate. We then decided no more bed for her until she's older. Then she began jumping on the couch and we allowed that because she will usually just calm down and sleep before we put her back in the crate for naps. Well today we are dog sitting for her sister who is also her litter mate and they played really well all day. Later in the evening they were both on the couch napping with me alone and my bf went to pick her up first to crate her and she growled louder than before and gave a sharp bark towards him. He then yelled NO loudly and put her on her the floor on her back until she knew she was wrong for doing that, and then put her in the crate. We also crated her sister after that too.
So now we are concerned about this behavior because I've been working hard to make sure she has no food/toy aggression and she never gets angry when taking anything away from her. She's in a puppy obedience class and has been socialized with people, kids and dogs frequently since we had her at 8 weeks. We both love and adore her and give her lots of affection but maybe spoiling her too much? Although it is not acceptable, do you think her sister also being on the couch had something to do with it?
Any advice on how to stop this behavior would be appreciated because I'm really shocked and upset that this happened :(

I think you are handling it well.

I have a 2 year old JRT too who will try to take over regularly - my chair, my couch, my.........Needless to say , he doesn't get away with it. He must be a slow learner though as he still tries off and on. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Neil wrote:You are worrying too much about what might happen. I usually just ignore that it a pup, if they escalate to a nip or bite, I ask them not to do that. You can make puppy raising way too hard by over thinking it and getting conflicting advice from too many people. Be firm and enjoy the experience.
I think you're right, I'm stressing too much and I feel like I can't enjoy her as much as I did. I really enjoy relaxing with her on the couch cuddling next to me. How long before we can give that privilege back?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Go back to it when she behaves herself, and even then, only when you tell her she is allowed on the couch with you. Don't allow her to assume she's welcome to just jump up there without your permission. Most pups try this kind of stuff, and most respond really quickly to a correction or two. Those pups are the naturally submissive ones - they know their place and are happy there. Your pup sounds like she thinks her place is above her people, and will test you a lot.

See if you can get your hands on some Cesar Millan videos, or watch his program on NatGeo. You'll see that it's just a matter of your will over the dog's and it doesn't take major smack downs. It's all about attiude adjustments - yours has to be that of the leader, not weak or nervous.

Good luck, keep working at it.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Neil wrote:You are worrying too much about what might happen. I usually just ignore that it a pup, if they escalate to a nip or bite, I ask them not to do that. You can make puppy raising way too hard by over thinking it and getting conflicting advice from too many people. Be firm and enjoy the experience.
I understand what you're saying Neil but I believe there's got to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere, and one's standard of behavior determines where that is. For me, I bring my dogs to work (at a residential treatment center for kids), so anything that could be perceived as aggression is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. So I draw a line sooner rather than later.

So to the OP, YOU must be the one to choose what YOUR standard is.

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:39 pm

I appreciate all the suggestions, I know everyone does things a little differently. We definitely want to nip this now so we will be strict with her on having to earn her keep in the house. We have puppy class on Sunday and will bring it up to the trainer since she knows her personality/temperament already. No food/dog/toy aggression has been seen so hopefully it's just one area she's being a brat about.

big_c

Post by big_c » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Our GSP pup did this a few times when she was asleep and I tried to move her. I did the place her on the floor on her back and that seemed to curb this. I also now say her name and give her the Kennel command. Seems to have taken care of the issue.

Cory

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:50 pm

I have seen more dogs with aggression issues from over attentive owners than those with benign neglect.

I have raised and trained over 100 dogs and have never had an aggressive one. When I say I ask them not to be, I emphasize how it is in their best interest to comply.

I think the OP will be fine with the puppy class, unless the instructor is one of those that go through elaborate pack leader rituals like spitting in their food, etc.

The reason my dogs know I am alpha is because it never comes up for discussion.

The only time I have had an issue was a rescue Boykin that went in to full bore spaniel rage, just once!

I am confident the OP cares and will do the right thing.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:19 pm

bongo2363 wrote: I really enjoy relaxing with her on the couch cuddling next to me. How long before we can give that privilege back?
Right after you set about 20 mouse traps all over the sofa :lol:
My 8 year old loves a cuddle next to me when I invite her. She has had a hard life being a dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:13 pm

mnaj_springer wrote:
I understand what you're saying Neil but I believe there's got to be a line drawn in the sand somewhere, and one's standard of behavior determines where that is. For me, I bring my dogs to work (at a residential treatment center for kids), so anything that could be perceived as aggression is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. So I draw a line sooner rather than later.

I agree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Vernal Pike

Post by Vernal Pike » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:16 pm

This book is the answer to your problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Jelly-Bean-versus ... eisterfeld

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:53 am

ezzy333 wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:

I agree
With which quote? Mnag or Neil. I do not think one can agree with both.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:33 am

Pretty clear he was not agreeing with me! Which is good, we get different opinions forcing the OP to think.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:02 pm

my Britt pup was growling at my wife a little bit when she went to make the dog get off our bed. then she (the dog, not the wife :D ) tried that with me. I grabbed her quick by the scruff of the neck, got right down in her face and gave her a good shake and told her NO! It has never happened again, and when I go to bed she hops off the bed without being told. She stopped doing that to the wife, too.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:33 pm

DudeRN wrote:my Britt pup was growling at my wife a little bit when she went to make the dog get off our bed. then she (the dog, not the wife :D ) tried that with me. I grabbed her quick by the scruff of the neck, got right down in her face and gave her a good shake and told her NO! It has never happened again, and when I go to bed she hops off the bed without being told. She stopped doing that to the wife, too.
Just for debate ?...If you said 'nyet' ? do you think the dog understood your word ? :roll:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:52 pm

polmaise wrote:
DudeRN wrote:my Britt pup was growling at my wife a little bit when she went to make the dog get off our bed. then she (the dog, not the wife :D ) tried that with me. I grabbed her quick by the scruff of the neck, got right down in her face and gave her a good shake and told her NO! It has never happened again, and when I go to bed she hops off the bed without being told. She stopped doing that to the wife, too.
Just for debate ?...If you said 'nyet' ? do you think the dog understood your word ? :roll:
If it was my pup she definitely would understand what I meant when I said NO.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Neil wrote:I have seen more dogs with aggression issues from over attentive owners than those with benign neglect.

I have raised and trained over 100 dogs and have never had an aggressive one. When I say I ask them not to be, I emphasize how it is in their best interest to comply.

I think the OP will be fine with the puppy class, unless the instructor is one of those that go through elaborate pack leader rituals like spitting in their food, etc.

The reason my dogs know I am alpha is because it never comes up for discussion.

The only time I have had an issue was a rescue Boykin that went in to full bore spaniel rage, just once!

I am confident the OP cares and will do the right thing.
Excellent post.

Evanman2010

Post by Evanman2010 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:53 am

I have had the same issue as your having, my pup is 7 months old now. He was definatly the alpha male of the pack, whenever we would get near him with a toy, food, water, anything he liked and didnt want to be around us he growled and snapped at me once. I first started off being gentle saying no and putting him in his cage. This didnt cut it. I started to give a little more aggression and him a smack on the butt and yell no at him to show him who was in charge, time after time it started to work and it slowly started to be corrected. Everything is fine after a couple months of training. I would suggest nipping it in the butt right now before she gets alot bigger. Good luck with training!

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:26 am

Here's an update on our Josie. We've been working on keeping her off the couch but it's a struggle every day because she jumps on and off when playing and of course at night when we're watching tv she tries to sneak her way up. I usually tell her OFF first and if she doesn't listen I pull her off by the collar. I also make her sit before all feedings and when we walk out any door. She was getting better but she just growled today at my niece and then me. This time she was laying and falling asleep on her pillow on the floor and my niece was sitting next to her petting and teasing her. She growled and tried to nip her. I went to her and tapped her on the nose and said NO firmly. Then when I went to grab her collar to put her in her crate, she put her mouth on my arm. I gave her the same correction and crated her. I still don't know if I'm approaching this the right way because she obviously hasn't stopped yet. I know this can lead to biting so I reallllly am getting worried.

Again, she has never done this with any toys or food, I find that it is always when laying down trying to sleep and being bothered by someone. Also when someone tries to grab her by the collar she sometimes turns her head to give a nip. There's a few other issues we need to work on too like jumping and counter surfing but the growling is my biggest concern. She's done with her puppy class and our vet told us we should wait til she's 6 months to take the next class because of her attention span. She is turning 5 months tomorrow and I need to stop this behavior NOW. Maybe a one on one trainer?...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:36 am

bongo2363 wrote:Here's an update on our Josie. We've been working on keeping her off the couch but it's a struggle every day because she jumps on and off when playing and of course at night when we're watching tv she tries to sneak her way up. I usually tell her OFF first and if she doesn't listen I pull her off by the collar. I also make her sit before all feedings and when we walk out any door. She was getting better but she just growled today at my niece and then me. This time she was laying and falling asleep on her pillow on the floor and my niece was sitting next to her petting and teasing her. She growled and tried to nip her. I went to her and tapped her on the nose and said NO firmly. Then when I went to grab her collar to put her in her crate, she put her mouth on my arm. I gave her the same correction and crated her. I still don't know if I'm approaching this the right way because she obviously hasn't stopped yet. I know this can lead to biting so I reallllly am getting worried.

Again, she has never done this with any toys or food, I find that it is always when laying down trying to sleep and being bothered by someone. Also when someone tries to grab her by the collar she sometimes turns her head to give a nip. There's a few other issues we need to work on too like jumping and counter surfing but the growling is my biggest concern. She's done with her puppy class and our vet told us we should wait til she's 6 months to take the next class because of her attention span. She is turning 5 months tomorrow and I need to stop this behavior NOW. Maybe a one on one trainer?...
IMO, based on my experience, this is not normal behaviour for a 5 month old dog, dominant or not.. Not your fault at all -you've tried to solve this appropriately.
I do think you need a one-on - one pro experienced at handling a dog like that. No more puppy classes. She is getting older and you are running out of time to get a grip on this. I have no more suggestions other than what you have done, except I personally wouldn't be so gentle with the dog and if things didn't improve, the dog would be ................
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Normally I would have that dog meet Jesus the second it put its teeth on my arm, let alone nip a kid.

But I get a sense you are in over your head and are not up getting really git-down serious with her.

My youngest dog, now two years old, thought he was King Kong at about that age, and his misbehavior continued despite the kind of stuff you are doing, nose taps and "No". He had his chances and blew it. So the next time he tried to muscle around, he got grabbed by the collar, smacked and jerked around for about 10 seconds, and yelled at ( WHADDAYA DOIN'??? WHADDAYA DOIN'??) That was the last time he ever did that, and he is a gentleman now.

Some dogs need less PC niceness and more reaction. After all, what would the mother dog do if a pup bit at her? Would she kindly make a move that says "no, no, mustn't nip mama" or would she put the put in its place with a big snarl and enough snap to get his attention?

Keep kids away from that dog until she learns her place with you. You're asking for trouble until you straighten her out IMO.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:17 pm

bongo2363 wrote:Here's an update on our Josie. We've been working on keeping her off the couch but it's a struggle every day because she jumps on and off when playing and of course at night when we're watching tv she tries to sneak her way up. I usually tell her OFF first and if she doesn't listen I pull her off by the collar. I also make her sit before all feedings and when we walk out any door. She was getting better but she just growled today at my niece and then me. This time she was laying and falling asleep on her pillow on the floor and my niece was sitting next to her petting and teasing her. She growled and tried to nip her. I went to her and tapped her on the nose and said NO firmly. Then when I went to grab her collar to put her in her crate, she put her mouth on my arm. I gave her the same correction and crated her. I still don't know if I'm approaching this the right way because she obviously hasn't stopped yet. I know this can lead to biting so I reallllly am getting worried.

How about you wait until you get the answer on here that you are waiting for instead of the sound advice given by some?
Did You actually read any of the previous posts ?
I could spend a long time typing out 'pc' correct stuff as a reply ,but I won't ! So here is my advice fwiw. Go get a Rabbit ! It don't bite when you watch tv or when you decide to clap it!
If you do go to a reputable trainer for a 1-1 (which I seriously doubt you will) .Please, Please , Please video it from the on set ! It will go viral
Any chance You can give your niece a tap and a scruff by the collar next time too :wink:

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:40 pm

[/quote]
How about you wait until you get the answer on here that you are waiting for instead of the sound advice given by some?
Did You actually read any of the previous posts ?
I could spend a long time typing out 'pc' correct stuff as a reply ,but I won't ! So here is my advice fwiw. Go get a Rabbit ! It don't bite when you watch tv or when you decide to clap it!
If you do go to a reputable trainer for a 1-1 (which I seriously doubt you will) .Please, Please , Please video it from the on set ! It will go viral
Any chance You can give your niece a tap and a scruff by the collar next time too :wink:[/quote]

Ok, I get the point but I have taken advice from previous posts and it hasn't worked. And I WILL get help from a professional, I've done it before with an aggressive pitbull we had. I asked for help from here because of the experience everyone has with her breed that I don't have.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:46 pm

bongo2363 wrote: Ok, I get the point but I have taken advice from previous posts and it hasn't worked. And I WILL get help from a professional, I've done it before with an aggressive pitbull we had. I asked for help from here because of the experience everyone has with her breed that I don't have.
So their is 'History' then ?.....
BTW , Since you took advice from previous posts ?> Did you actually 'Do anything'?.....The mouse traps are a certain winner ! ;) ...

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:42 pm

We have been taking away the couch privilege since the 1st time it happened during absolutely no bed, I make her sit whenever she eats or goes outside and she does get hit on the nose and yelled at firmly when she nips. I have had a history with mean dogs, one was my bfs dog that was around before I met him and unfortunately had to tolerate him because he was old already. The other was a pit bull we had when I lived at home years ago. The pit was raised as a puppy, I took him to obedience school, personal trainer at the house and a specialist in aggression. He showed severe aggression towards people and us at a very young age and we tried everything we could before making the decision to put him down at 1 1/2 yrs. It's VERY hard to come to that decision because of how attached we get to our dogs but I fear having that happen with our gsp now. I love her to death and would also try everything to get her to stop. Believe me, I'm not a wuss when it comes to correcting her, she's still testing me though.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:55 pm

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would probably get a little rougher with her at this point since I think she is saying she doesn't really understand yet. Robert, give her a chance before you jump down her throat again. Remember we all are trying to save your dog also and I am quite sure we can if we get through to her what you will accept and what you won't and since she seems to be fighting you a little make sure you win each battle and you can love her up later.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bongo2363

Post by bongo2363 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Thank you ezzy for understanding :!: I appreciate everyone's comments but not to be judged for not being perfect. Even though I've had dogs my whole life, I'm not an expert at training and every dog was different in personality and temperament.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:15 am

You can tell the dog what you want and be done with it after 2 to 3 tellings, or you can nag the dog forever and live with the consequences.
Your choice.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:21 pm

Now that post is pure gold. Same for kids too. :)

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:34 pm

bongo2363 wrote:We have been taking away the couch privilege since the 1st time it happened during absolutely no bed, I make her sit whenever she eats or goes outside and she does get hit on the nose and yelled at firmly when she nips. I have had a history with mean dogs, one was my bfs dog that was around before I met him and unfortunately had to tolerate him because he was old already. The other was a pit bull we had when I lived at home years ago. The pit was raised as a puppy, I took him to obedience school, personal trainer at the house and a specialist in aggression. He showed severe aggression towards people and us at a very young age and we tried everything we could before making the decision to put him down at 1 1/2 yrs. It's VERY hard to come to that decision because of how attached we get to our dogs but I fear having that happen with our gsp now. I love her to death and would also try everything to get her to stop. Believe me, I'm not a wuss when it comes to correcting her, she's still testing me though.
There is a common theme progressing here ?...and I don't mean Dog

Vernal Pike

Post by Vernal Pike » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Obviously you have not read Meisterfeld yet.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:30 am

bongo2363 wrote:We have been taking away the couch privilege since the 1st time it happened during absolutely no bed, I make her sit whenever she eats or goes outside and she does get hit on the nose and yelled at firmly when she nips. I have had a history with mean dogs, one was my bfs dog that was around before I met him and unfortunately had to tolerate him because he was old already. The other was a pit bull we had when I lived at home years ago. The pit was raised as a puppy, I took him to obedience school, personal trainer at the house and a specialist in aggression. He showed severe aggression towards people and us at a very young age and we tried everything we could before making the decision to put him down at 1 1/2 yrs. It's VERY hard to come to that decision because of how attached we get to our dogs but I fear having that happen with our gsp now. I love her to death and would also try everything to get her to stop. Believe me, I'm not a wuss when it comes to correcting her, she's still testing me though.
I can imagine how hard that must have been to put the dog down but I applaud you for doing the right thing. You never know what you may have prevented.