Puppy training question

Bacon1676

Puppy training question

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:32 am

Came across a baby bird on a walk the other day that my 10 week GSP came across that I didn't see until he aleardy got a hold of it and wasn't able to get to him quick enough to stop him from killing it, so my question is what should I do if I come across this situation again? Should I let him go after it or make him leave it alone? Open to any and all suggestions.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Puppy training question

Post by shags » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:32 am

What good could possibly come from allowing the pup to kill a songbird? Stuff happens, but I wouldn't encourage it, there's no reason to allow it.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:37 am

I wouldn't worry about it either way. It isn't going to happen often, if ever again.

Bacon1676

Post by Bacon1676 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:10 am

Obviously there is not point in letting him kill a song bird. This is my first hunting puppy, so I'm trying not to deter him from going after birds but at the same time teaching him to go after certain kinds of birds. I probably put too much thought into it, but first timers usually do.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:19 am

I think what you are looking for is does the reprimand cause an issue for training later down the road . If the dog is responding to songbirds you don't need to encourage it and can just ignore it . The dog will soon learn through training what birds are their objective . And will generally ignore song birds in the field .

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:44 pm

Not a big deal. Ignore it, keep walking.
( My experienced on wild birds' setters, still love it when a baby robin falls out of the nest in the back yard - I don't like it but.......
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:57 pm

Not a big deal but I would try to get the pup to bring it to me and when he does, if he does, don't just rip it away from him. Love him up and let him have a moment then take it away. Likely he'll resist , don't fight with him. Catch hos collar wit your thumb under his head. Stroke him a few more times on the side away from you, you'll be pulling him into you. three or four stroke's and take the hand that's stroking him and catch that little flap of skin between his belly with your two middle finger's and lift. At the same time give him a release command. To remove your hand, you should irritate him, he'll spit the bird so he can remove your . The instant he let's go of the bird, straighten you finger's and drop him down it most likely won't be much of a drop and he'll look right back for the bird, you will not hurt him at all. He's a puppy that caught a baby bird then brought it to you and gave it to you when you asked for it. What will he have done wrong?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!