Finishing up a dog

Tooling

Finishing up a dog

Post by Tooling » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 am

~ When finishing a dog who has demonstrated wonderful natural talent & far more than adequate bidability along w/a strong bond ~

What is your approach & strategy for a dog that values the hunt (location and pointing of birds) above having a bird in his mouth which as most of you know is generally the end of the rainbow for most dogs?

How do you reward for good dog work in such a way as to inspire more of the same?

*I am loathe to be living in an area that does not have natural populations of game birds!!

GWPtyler

Re: Finishing up a dog

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:40 am

Excuse me if I'm making some assumptions and reading between the lines, but are you asking how to reward a dog that enjoys hunting and finding birds but won't retrieve them?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:07 pm

So, you have a dog that won't retrieve? If that is so, his reward is the find, not the retrieve. Not my favorite dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:05 pm

GWPtyler wrote:Excuse me if I'm making some assumptions and reading between the lines, but are you asking how to reward a dog that enjoys hunting and finding birds but won't retrieve them?
No need for apology - my fault for not being more descriptive.

The dog was delivered as a pup w/a natural retrieve which quickly transformed into a speedy run to the bird to essentially assure that it was expired. Once satisfied that the bird was done for he would look at me, drop the bird, and start hunting again.

Ultimately FF'd the dog and he has since been a very good retriever whether dealing w/a cripple or a bird virtually lost in oceans of grass where no mark was even possible. He is a very good & reliable retriever, even if I have to keep him on task at times..but it is a dutiful retrieve more so than an enthusiastic rewarding retrieve (of course he is thrilled to retrieve sometimes ~ sometimes)

He wants to get that retrieve out of the way and get right on back to hunting...I love that about him but it makes it hard b/c I know for many a trainer "the bird in the mouth" becomes the strategy toward finishing touches. I believe I am pretty consistent and also believe that if we were blessed w/populations, his thirst to hunt would *possibly* reach its fill through consistency so that it would become easier to finish him off. The dog absolutely LIVES to hunt & he enthusiastically hunts FOR me & WITH me, ESPECIALLY when there are birds around in a true hunting scenario..I run him frequently and mock hunt him regularly..the more I do ~ the more he wants. His desire to hunt is simply insatiable.

Immaturity?

I would most definately concur that the "find" is the reward for him GH.

Tricky one this dog has been for me.
Last edited by Tooling on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Tooling wrote:~ When finishing a dog who has demonstrated wonderful natural talent & far more than adequate bidability along w/a strong bond ~

What is your approach & strategy for a dog that values the hunt (location and pointing of birds) above having a bird in his mouth which as most of you know is generally the end of the rainbow for most dogs?

How do you reward for good dog work in such a way as to inspire more of the same?
Let him go find another one.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:40 pm

shags wrote:
Tooling wrote:~ When finishing a dog who has demonstrated wonderful natural talent & far more than adequate bidability along w/a strong bond ~

Let him go find another one.
That is certainly fair but the question begs - if he botches it, do I just end the hunt right there on the spot and kennel him up?

I have no issue using his collar and he is certainly conditioned to it - that said, I am not going to fry him into submission - it would shut this dog down..he wants to please.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:01 pm

OK, confused...you asked first about good dog work and now you mention botched work?

If my dog messes up, I correct the mistake. That might mean setting him back, bumping him with the collar, giving gim a shake, depending on what he did wrong/the situation. After the correction, we go on. If he makes the same error again, correct again, then put him up, because obviously we need to move back a step or two. Nagging and hoping for better hasn't worked out for me in those situations. Better to pack it in and do more controlled training. No harm, no foul.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:10 pm

Nothing confusing about it..if a reward exists for good dog work then a correction or aversion must also exist for a less than expected performance.

I've had dogs in the past that would do just about anything to get a bird in their mouth and have watched many trainers use the desire to have bird in mouth as a motivational tool for rock steadiness. Akin to the advice given on this very forum time and again which states that birds are only shot if the dog work is acceptable.

That is not motivation enough for my dog but you have given me a good starting point with the two strikes your out rule and back to the yard until I'm satisfied that we are ready to go at it again. I always try to end on a successful note and I don't think I'm guilty of nagging at my dog but maybe I need to rethink that..thank you for the advice.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:23 pm

You've lost me. You say you ff'd the dog? If so, you have all you need at your finger tips to finish is retrieve. I guess I'm not understanding exactly what you're saying.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:37 pm

Two questions being asked I think.

"It is a dutiful retrieve more so than an enthusiastic rewarding retrieve .
He wants to get that retrieve out of the way and get right on back to hunting." quote

I wouldn't be concerned about that. Many folk would love a dog that enjoyed finding more than retrieving.

"What if the dog botches up the retrieve?" quote

If the dog is in such a hurry to get back to hunting so as to "botch" up the retrieve , correct him as per you FF programme.

"He wants to get that retrieve out of the way and get right on back to hunting...I love that about him but it makes it hard b/c I know for many a trainer "the bird in the mouth" becomes the strategy toward finishing touches." quote

I can see where a weak desire to retrieve would make the reward of a "bird in the mouth" less effective.
Dogs sure are all different. "A bird in the mouth" does turn on most dogs
. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:29 pm

Personally I don't think many dogs hunt so they can retrieve. Retrieving is something that some dog do because they want to but many don't. And even if they do want to, many trailers don't allow it and yet those dogs are many times the ultimate in desire and style we are told. Dogs usually love to find a dead bird and if they had their druthers they probably would pick it up and carry it to a shady spot and lay down and eat it. puppies learn to bring back items so you can throw it for them as a game and this same instinct says it will bring the bird back to you but when you put it in your vest they realize they have to find another one if they are going to get play with it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.