GSP pointing too close?

myersc

GSP pointing too close?

Post by myersc » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:17 am

I have a 3 year old GSP who is going into her second year of pheasant hunting. I'm new to hunting and new to training hunting dogs, so everything I've learned is through books and forums such as this one.

I read a post that mentioned pointing too close which got me thinking. My GSP pointed very well and held her points until I flushed the bird. But almost all of her points are right on top of the bird. Is this too close? How close should a GSP be pointing on a pheasant?

If she is too close, how do you correct this?

Thanks.

bobman

Re: GSP pointing too close?

Post by bobman » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:36 am

if she's close but the birds are not flushing and you do the flushing you have nothing to worry about. what you described is not unusual with pheasants in good cover they will often sit very tight

if she does accidentally bump a bird and flush it do not ever shoot that bird, this will teach her to be cautious and not crowd birds
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:12 am

Too close is another term for flushing the bird IMO.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:51 pm

myersc wrote:I have a 3 year old GSP who is going into her second year of pheasant hunting. I'm new to hunting and new to training hunting dogs, so everything I've learned is through books and forums such as this one.

I read a post that mentioned pointing too close which got me thinking. My GSP pointed very well and held her points until I flushed the bird. But almost all of her points are right on top of the bird. Is this too close? How close should a GSP be pointing on a pheasant?

If she is too close, how do you correct this?

Thanks.
As Bobman said, + it takes more than 2 hunting seasons of pheasant for a dog to figure out how close it can get.... experience, experience, experience. Nothing to worry about.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:58 am

Are you are talking Game farm planted birds? many times with hard planted birds there is very little scent. Dogs get too close. Wild birds work better but they are getting harder to come by. You do not want the dog catching them though.....Cj

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:43 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Too close is another term for flushing the bird IMO.
From the sounds of it the OP's dog was able to pin his birds until he flushed them. I don't think that is him flushing them however. To the OP, your dog learned how close he can get, if he is not flushing the birds what is the problem?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:05 am

ruffbritt4 wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Too close is another term for flushing the bird IMO.
From the sounds of it the OP's dog was able to pin his birds until he flushed them. I don't think that is him flushing them however. To the OP, your dog learned how close he can get, if he is not flushing the birds what is the problem?
He meant that if the bird did not flush it is not too close.

Closer the better in my opinion, so long as he is getting them pointed. Only thing is he might have a bit of a learning curve if you start hunting birds that don't take as much pressure.

Vernal Pike

Post by Vernal Pike » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:31 pm

If the pheasants run your dog will know before you. Allow him the freedom to move, pin the bird and repoint.