Tips for Boykin Spaniel owner

Cameron_P

Tips for Boykin Spaniel owner

Post by Cameron_P » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello all. I have a 4 month old Boykin Spaniel who has been coming along nicely. However, over the last few days he has developed this habit of going for a retrieve and then on his return laying down and chewing the dummy. He has been great this far on retrieving and even steadying. Any tips on how to solve this? I have not used any force or negative correction with him either. any advice or references are welcomed. I have trained labs in the past but this is my first Boykin.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: Tips for Boykin Spaniel owner

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:09 pm

Have you tried running or moving away from the pup as soon as it picks up the dummy ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Cameron_P

Post by Cameron_P » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:24 pm

I have tried that. Sometimes he will run after me but other times he will still lay there And chew

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Well next step would be a longe line. Reel him in gently if you must.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:38 am

He is young, sounds like he is bored and just playing. Work on a recall, until he has it down, I use treats, then go back to retrieving.

I say here, snap my fingers, (though many use a clicker), if he comes, he gets a small cut square of jerky, if not I reel him with a check cord, then treat. When he gets it down, and he will, then do the same with the retrieve. Add a cap gun, then a blank. Build on small successes.

Let him have some play time, but be serious with bumpers.

You need to find a program to follow, there will be more challenges to come.

Cameron_P

Post by Cameron_P » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:57 am

Thank you. I will give this a try. Do you all have any suggestions for programs to follow that really cater to spaniels? I have used water dog in the past for labs but in my personal opinion, I don't believe its the best option for Boykins....

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:52 pm

There are no specific programs for spaniels. Lots of good books but your best bet is to train with a spaniel group...
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Pam Kadlec did a good book on spaniel training.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Yup just not a program per se as the retriever and pointing folks are used to
Cass

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:44 am

There are a lot of different books for training spaniels, albeit, not as many as there are for retrievers. What are you training for... a nonslip retriever for waterfowl? Or an upland flushing dog? Or both?
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:37 am

Cass, what is this "program per se (that) pointer folks are used to?" - not familiar with such a concoction.

Boykins on the other hand fit seamlessly into any of the retriever programs - though the OP sent up red flags for his future training by saying he had not used force or negative correction on him. If he had qualified that with a "yet," I would think him more receptive to retriever training that's been used for bringing along the best Boykins in the retriever games (like the Master National next month) or duck blind, or both. Waterdog or Pam Kadlec's book (or, sorry, Neil - Milner's material) ain't gonna get it.

MG

Cameron_P

Re: Tips for new Boykin Spaniel owner.

Post by Cameron_P » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:44 am

I am only training him for waterfowl hunting. I am open to using some force with him but at his age, I am not sure if it is necessary? and I am hesitant because I have heard that they are not always the most receptive to force. I would love a program that would allow my dog to succeed in retriever programs, as well as in the duck blind. With this being my first Boykin, I just want to make sure that I get all of the advice and tips I can get to make sure he's the best he can be, and also for me to be the best trainer I can be.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:13 am

Get a really good recall. As quick has he gets the dummy in his mouth call him in. Do not give him time to mess around....................Cj

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Cameron_P wrote:I am only training him for waterfowl hunting. I am open to using some force with him but at his age, I am not sure if it is necessary? and I am hesitant because I have heard that they are not always the most receptive to force. I would love a program that would allow my dog to succeed in retriever programs, as well as in the duck blind. With this being my first Boykin, I just want to make sure that I get all of the advice and tips I can get to make sure he's the best he can be, and also for me to be the best trainer I can be.
Don't worry about force. SPaniels aren't receptive to excessive force. That doesn't mean they can't handle it. I think FF has multiple benefits as far as a spaniel is concerned, and it teaches them the proper way to deal with pressure. If you're going to be waterfowl hunting a lot, you owe it to the dog to put him through a complete FF process. You will both be better for it.
Cass

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Cameron_P wrote:I am only training him for waterfowl hunting. I am open to using some force with him but at his age, I am not sure if it is necessary? and I am hesitant because I have heard that they are not always the most receptive to force. I would love a program that would allow my dog to succeed in retriever programs, as well as in the duck blind. With this being my first Boykin, I just want to make sure that I get all of the advice and tips I can get to make sure he's the best he can be, and also for me to be the best trainer I can be.
Get this http://www.totalretriever.com/index.php ... y-volume-1 - and get up with some like-minded trainers (i.e., Boykinites who work their dogs as nonslip retrievers) and follow their lead. You can tailor Mr. Lardy's program for a smaller retriever, or any retrieving gundog - you just need to adhere to what he's advising. Don't know where you're located but you can also find plenty of Boykin retriever trainers (amateur trainers to catch up to) in S. Carolina all the way down to south Georgia and over to Alabama. You might also sign up on the retrievertraining.net forum - "RTF" - and ask for training partners and help over there. I've pointed a few folks here in that direction and they've all been pleased with the responses they got for training with folks who are capable of and always willing to help out a newcomer to retrievers.

Good luck,

MG

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:19 pm

crackerd wrote:Cass, what is this "program per se (that) pointer folks are used to?" - not familiar with such a concoction.

Boykins on the other hand fit seamlessly into any of the retriever programs - though the OP sent up red flags for his future training by saying he had not used force or negative correction on him. If he had qualified that with a "yet," I would think him more receptive to retriever training that's been used for bringing along the best Boykins in the retriever games (like the Master National next month) or duck blind, or both. Waterdog or Pam Kadlec's book (or, sorry, Neil - Milner's material) ain't gonna get it.

MG
Mg is right-on here! Correct-o-mundo!
There is a spaniel training programs as such if the owner handler is looking for an upland only dog. The absolute best author and who is also the father of organized spaniel training here in the states is Charles Goodall. The Complete English springer spaniel By Gasow and Roggencamp is also a definitive written training source for flushing spaniels.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.