Training accident

Builderman21

Training accident

Post by Builderman21 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:27 pm

Took my do out on some sharp tail with my father in law to get the dogs ready for grouse next weekend and had a horrible accident. My girl got bit by a rattlesnake. 3 days later and shes home recuperating.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441769166.671367.jpg
had a good scare. But she did point and hold very well and hunted right to our expectations. Hopefully be hunting by the end of the month
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Training accident

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:42 pm

That is too bad. Trust the dog is ready to go soon. Fortunately up here we only have one rattler in a fairly small area.

I keep this article in my kit:

"What to do if Your dog is bitten by a rattler"
http://www.massasauga.ca/stewardship_gu ... 4/pg41.htm
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:35 am

Wow, what a drag. Looks like she's recuperating quite well though.

Good luck!

Builderman21

Training accident

Post by Builderman21 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:35 am

Quite the drag. She is very groggy due to pain meds and swelling. Very clingy which is ok she is getting spoiled now. Luckily shes the runt and is only 38 pounds because i carried her for at least half a mile.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:26 pm

Oh man, do you have a lot of snakes in your area and how did you immediately know that it was a snake bite?

I suppose it was obvious but I've never had to deal with it.

Must have been scary.

Builderman21

Training accident

Post by Builderman21 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Usually we see very few but this year was really odd. We killed roughly 10-12 rattlesnakes and 5-6 bull snakes. Immediately knew because she limped over to me and had to puncture wounds bleeding. Snake size unknown but punctures were 1 3/4 in apart so assuming weve been killing 4 -5 ft snakes gonna say around there. Just remember to trust the dog when they act different

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:52 pm

NEhomer wrote:Oh man, do you have a lot of snakes in your area and how did you immediately know that it was a snake bite?

I suppose it was obvious but I've never had to deal with it.

Must have been scary.
You will know immediately if its a snake bite. Hopefully you never have to see it but you will know.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:37 pm

bull snakes kill and eat rattlesnakes why kill them?
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Builderman21

Training accident

Post by Builderman21 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:48 pm

Because bull snakes coil up an act like rattlesnakes and den up with them. Never liked a snake especially one that immitates a venomous one. I dont trust that

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Only snake bite I ever had was with Squirt three or four years ago. had no idea what was wrong when he came in but he was obviously sick. it was on a Friday evening and other than he was sick, didn't appear to be any reason why. Figured I'd call the vet in the morning if he was still like that and get him in. Next morning his leg was swollen up so bad, I'm surprised the skin didn't split. Got to the vet and he though he'd been bit by either a snake or spider. left him there and picked him up that evening. They found the bite on his ankle. My understanding is that most snake bite's are not fatal. In fact it's my understanding that most are dry bite's. Had a vet years ago at a kennel club meeting tell us not to panic if the dog get's bit. keep it calm and ease out for help. Deal is, your probably so far from a vet and probably on a weekend that the dog will be dead of better by the time you get there. well certainly may be but I always avoid area's I suspect might have snakes. Hunted eastern Oregon for over 30 yrs and that was my only snake bite. Did have a close call once on the John Day. Found my old Hannah on point and when I got in front of her there was a rattler. Killed the "bleep" snake and called it a day. We have a shooting preserve near here I like to do once or twice a year but it is rolling with snakes, near the Deschutes River. I always wait until winter to go there. i think if I lost a dog to a snake bite, I'd give up hunting. Shooting a thousand birds is no worth even one of my dogs lives.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!