Lab Line training cold blinds

zink2243

Lab Line training cold blinds

Post by zink2243 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:57 am

I have a 2 year old Labrador retriever, He is really good at running cold blinds and his lining is good when running drills and training. The problem I am having is when it comes time to do it in the field he gets so worked up off the gun shots that he don't no his right from his left his back form his front and when I whistle sit him for the cast he wines in excitement like stop sitting me and let me go find the bird. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there is a way to calm him down. I have tried bringing him back to heel and waiting a couple min with little luck might just fix itself with age but was hoping someone might have some kind of idea.
Thanks in advance for your help

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Lab Line training cold blinds

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:28 am

You apparently are not using diversions in training. Start on a visual pattern field. Run hin through the legs of the sight blind. Now add a gunner and a mark. Let him pick up the mark, then run the blinds. Now, throw and shoot the mark, but don't let him pick it up. Run the blinds instead and have the gunner pick up the mark.

That's it in a nutshell but you aren't going to accomplish this in one day. You start with stage one and gradually work your way through it. Don't run him on blinds in the field until you have him corrected in the yard.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:17 pm

zink2243 wrote:I have a 2 year old Labrador retriever, He is really good at running cold blinds and his lining is good when running drills and training. The problem I am having is when it comes time to do it in the field he gets so worked up off the gun shots that he don't no his right from his left his back form his front and when I whistle sit him for the cast he wines in excitement like stop sitting me and let me go find the bird. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if there is a way to calm him down. I have tried bringing him back to heel and waiting a couple min with little luck might just fix itself with age but was hoping someone might have some kind of idea.
Thanks in advance for your help
gonehuntin' wrote: Don't run him on blinds in the field until you have him corrected in the yard.
Don't let him do anything in the field until you have him corrected in the yard.

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:18 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:You apparently are not using diversions in training. Start on a visual pattern field. Run hin through the legs of the sight blind. Now add a gunner and a mark. Let him pick up the mark, then run the blinds. Now, throw and shoot the mark, but don't let him pick it up. Run the blinds instead and have the gunner pick up the mark.

That's it in a nutshell but you aren't going to accomplish this in one day. You start with stage one and gradually work your way through it. Don't run him on blinds in the field until you have him corrected in the yard.
And there you have it Zink ^^ 8)
Additionally-
Dog gets nothing, absolutely nuthin' 'til he's steady and quiet on those marks.

Question Zink-
The title to your thread

How are you training cold blinds?

zink2243

Post by zink2243 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:34 am

We do lots of diversions in are training I run him through all of his hunt tests he could pass his Master hunt test except for were still working on the following barrel 8/10 times he gets it but waiting till its prefect before i pay the money for the test he just turned 2 so not really in a big hurry. The problem is everything is flawless in the yard he knows the difference between hunting and training. In training he is flawless dose everything great. But in the field his excitement gets the best of him. Say he just got done retrieving 3 shot marked ducks in the field then i go to send him on a 4th duck that he did not see fall its like his excitement gets the best of him and he is overloaded with it from the other 3 retrieves, 5/10 he will run the blind and get the 4th duck but its a lot more casts and controlling him then it would take if we are just training if that makes sense

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:02 am

Then get out there, clean his clock, and teach him that HIS job is to obey you anyplace, anytime, anywhere. Don't put up with his crap.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:40 am

How much did you hunt with him last season? From what you describe he just needs to be in the field and hunted over, and corrections must be made in the field. You will most likely have to lay your gun gown (this part sucks) and let your buddies shoot while work the dog.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:21 am

The only reason he thinks there's a difference between training and hunting is because you have allowed him to believe it. Actually, you have taught him there is a difference through your behaviors and actions. I'm with gonehuntin on this... Go make the necessary corrections.

And if you hunt with a buddy and his dog, and your problems persist in the field, send his dog. Jealousy does wonders.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:10 am

I have a 2 year old Golden who earned her SH this year. She is a super hard driving girl! Last year I took her waterfowl hunting with me 3-4 times. I did not take my gun, I worked with her, first we were away from the blind where our shooters were, and I slowly worked her in until she was in the blind. My purpose was to put her in a calmer environment to start the hunting. We had a good view of the area of fall, and could see and hear all the action. We were maybe 40 yds. and a bit behind the blind area. All the time being quite and steady was demanded. Only then did she get to go on a marked bird.

I know from running her in hunt tests this year (Which is another venue where dogs get very excited and can show their worst) that she will be calm and steady on Marks and Blinds. Regardless, Opening day I will start without my gun! Just to be sure...

Good Luck

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:48 pm

zink2243 wrote:We do lots of diversions in are training I run him through all of his hunt tests he could pass his Master hunt test except for were still working on the following barrel 8/10 times he gets it but waiting till its prefect before i pay the money for the test he just turned 2 so not really in a big hurry. The problem is everything is flawless in the yard he knows the difference between hunting and training. In training he is flawless dose everything great. But in the field his excitement gets the best of him. Say he just got done retrieving 3 shot marked ducks in the field then i go to send him on a 4th duck that he did not see fall its like his excitement gets the best of him and he is overloaded with it from the other 3 retrieves, 5/10 he will run the blind and get the 4th duck but its a lot more casts and controlling him then it would take if we are just training if that makes sense
Gotcha'.
The last HT I went to, the judge wanted to see the blind picked up first, and gave the handler options.
Cold blinds-
We like to plant the blind and come back and run it the next day and enter the field from a different location.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Timewise65 wrote:I have a 2 year old Golden who earned her SH this year. She is a super hard driving girl! Last year I took her waterfowl hunting with me 3-4 times. I did not take my gun, I worked with her, first we were away from the blind where our shooters were, and I slowly worked her in until she was in the blind. My purpose was to put her in a calmer environment to start the hunting. We had a good view of the area of fall, and could see and hear all the action. We were maybe 40 yds. and a bit behind the blind area. All the time being quite and steady was demanded. Only then did she get to go on a marked bird.

I know from running her in hunt tests this year (Which is another venue where dogs get very excited and can show their worst) that she will be calm and steady on Marks and Blinds. Regardless, Opening day I will start without my gun! Just to be sure...
Very good in putting this lesson forward for the OP. Alas, have to tell on myself for the opposite of your approach, and for "enticing" bad behavior by my dog. Was out some years ago with one of my field trial Labs for the opener of goose season, in a blind, with another blind about 250 yards away and slightly behind mine. The gun in the adjacent blind knocked down a black goose with his first shot of the day. My dog looked up at the shot and marked the fall off the gun, gauging how far it fell beyond the gunner, and deduced that, to her way of thinking, it was like a flyer in a field trial. The goose about 250 yards out and falling very close to the gun, as can happen in a field trial. She hadn't been given the "sit" command at the line, but she waited and waited for the judge to say "Dog!" and for me to release her, and when that didn't happen, she broke. Which she had not and has never done at a field trial. And since this misdeed occurred more out of habit (field trial) than disobedience, I couldn't bring myself to upbraid her about breaking (forgive me, GH :mrgreen: ). But she didn't do it again, either, 'cause getting acclimated doesn't take very long from one scenario (FTs) to the other (goose blind) if the dog's been trained that "sit means sit unless told otherwise."

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Sit does mean sit!
This clip will probably 'bore' You ?....................................It's meant to.
How many marks and How many Blinds ?.
How many commands to 'sit'? ..At one point some dudes Spaniel 'runs-in' and collects one of them '50' marks. ...
No noise , No squeak, No Excitement!...But 'In-direct' pressure play's a wondrous thing in a dog's mind.

This Yellow dog was 'In training' .....and had all the Yard stuff in place before it went to 'University' with the Black ones right behind her.
Some games over that side of the pond is always having the dog 'get the retrieve' ! ..Another way to possibly look at it is 'When the dog will get the retrieve'? ..Thus comes 'Steadiness' and 'Honour' ?................Blind's?....well that will be when you line the dog up on the one you 'want it to get' ?..Not the one that it has seen.
That's a different set up ?.........Which again starts in the Yard/Training field with 'Waggon Wheel drills' ,'T' and 'TT' and 3 card trick.
All before the 'real thing' is encountered .
Have a look at the 'Noise thread' ,with Randy on RTF ...The issue is 'Noise' but the recommendation and instruction is going back to 'Basics' ?.....Heel means Heel! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VanUIPniNhc

zink2243

Post by zink2243 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:24 am

He is a two year seasoned duck dog probably shot close to 600 birds over him in the two season. The problem dose not happen every time and when it does happen he is corrected usually his excitement is so high that it takes more then one time to make the correction but eventually we get there, thanks again for all the great input and help it is greatly appreciated