Won't point wild birds

cheetome

Won't point wild birds

Post by cheetome » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:06 pm

I have a friend who has a 17 month old setter. I don't train with him but he has come out a few times for help. He said his dog wouldn't point but after our first session the dog was pointing beautifully. He got better each time he was out(4-5×) He also claimed the dog was gun sensative or shy but myself and my training partner worked with him and he showed no signs of that. Now he has been hunting sharptail with him and he says the dog gets out and searches great but won't point. He says he smells birds and the blinks them and then walks at his side. This dog had no pressure put on him training with us but I feel this is the reaction he is seeing. Could be what was done when he trained on his own. I haven't been out with him as I am training a dog to test this weekend. Any thoughts on what is going on or how to fix it? Not seeing what's going on but hearing this I think it's blinking combined with a lack of desire.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Won't point wild birds

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:18 pm

Don't think either of us has enough info to make a good decision. I would suggest you go with him and find out what is really going on. Just sounds like he has abused the pup in someway and the pup is taking the easy way out.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:30 pm

I agree with Ezzy.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

cheetome

Post by cheetome » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:32 pm

That is exactly what I was thinking but I didn't want to accuse. I think the dog is shutting down. Easier to do nothing and not get hit I suppose. I will try to get out with him when testing is over. I can report back with what I see. Thank you for the reply.