Retrieving issue

joachimt

Retrieving issue

Post by joachimt » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:24 am

I have a 4 year old GSP. She has always been a good retriever but lately when she brings a bumper or dummy back to me she will lock on it and wont drop it after I command out. She wont do it all the time but only when she "thinks" we are going to stop playing fetch. My concern is when we are hunting she will start to do this and crush the bird or wont give it up. She is collar conditioned and I did force fetch her when she was a year old. Not sure if I want to use the collar on her to have her drop though??

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Retrieving issue

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:06 am

The collar when used for "drop" when a dog has not been ff'd with the collar, results in a tighter grip, not a looser one and can result in bird eating due to resentment.

Your best solution is to pinch or pick the dog up by the flank. They always drop when you do that. I personally don't like doing that because it puts my face too close to the dog. Not that my face couldn't use a re-do, but I'd prefer antisthetic if it's done.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Retrieving issue

Post by polmaise » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:40 am

joachimt wrote:I have a 4 year old GSP. She has always been a good retriever but lately She wont do it all the time but only when she "thinks" we are going to stop playing fetch.
I'm 'guessing' it's a by-product of a poorly completed 'ff' process.
4 year old and only 'lately' ?,, or 'Latently ' ?
Hard on the bumper or deliver next to the handler is often a sign that the dog is more comfortable 'away' rather than up close ?