Interested in the buddy stick......but

blanked

Post by blanked » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:16 am

Looking at the picture of it wedged into the dogs chest i just cant figureout how it will stay put if the dog backs up or moves off to the side. I want to have a better feeling it will work before i buy the video

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Interested in the buddy stick......but

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:11 am

The reason you need the video is to understand the steps prior to laying it front of the dog. It is a full program, not just a stick. 12 - 15 years ago there was a website that had an article I wrote on the Buddy Stick that might help you some if you can find it. You really need to invest the $30.00, I vouch it works.

I will try to answer your question, just as a check cord laying on the ground reminds the dog to stand so does the Buddy Stick, only more effectively. I have not used a check cord for staunch steady since 1998.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:15 am

I made a buddy stick after watching George Hickox Videos. seem like the crudest piece of equipment I ever seen. I never found a use for it..................Cj

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:35 am

http://www.gundogsupply.com/bird-dog-bo ... g-dvd.html

Buy the Buddy Stick Kit for $12.95 at the same time.

The DVD is getting very good reviews, that is why it is sold out.

Neil

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:52 am

Like any tool, you need to learn how to use it. As Neil said, it is a complete program in itself, and in good hands it's like a magic wand.

If I could on have one tool to train with, it would be the Buddy Stick.
Hunter Payne

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:23 am

E.R. Schelley, or Shelly, started it, way back, in the early 30's. It disappeared for a long time, Buddy came back out with it.
You find a method that works best for you, and you understand the best. A scared dog, will never learn. From, what ever method it comes from. If you have got to scare, or intimidate the dog to do something. Lol, you will prolly have your hands full, when the dog starts getting a lil cocky with you. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:46 pm

tailcrackin wrote:E.R. Schelley, or Shelly, started it, way back, in the early 30's. It disappeared for a long time, Buddy came back out with it.
You find a method that works best for you, and you understand the best. A scared dog, will never learn. From, what ever method it comes from. If you have got to scare, or intimidate the dog to do something. Lol, you will prolly have your hands full, when the dog starts getting a lil cocky with you. Thanks Jonesy
Are you saying the Buddy Stick so scares and intimidates the dog you will later have your hands full.

Shelley used a bamboo pole to direct the dog.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:28 pm

Lol, hands are never full, just fair.
Early 30's didn't have pvc, I don't believe.
Like I mentioned, and you forgot to quote, the most important part, for the poster......... find the method that makes the best sense to you, and go with it. If the poster understands it, whatever the method, it will stay black and white in poster's head, along with, it staying black and white to the students head. Dogs don't understand English, so the more black and white we stay, with the dog. I like this part, the more they are going to learn. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Jonesy,

I need an interpreter, I truly have no idea what you are saying and what it could possibly have to do with the Buddy Stick.

Hopefully the OP is smarter or has the code book.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:39 am

I suppose 'program' isn't the correct terminology. I don't want to speak for Neil, but by program, I think he meant that the stick has many uses throughout the training process.

Fear and intimidation is brought into the process by man, not the tool or method.
The Buddy Stick, or if you prefer, the Shelley Stick can be an asset to ANY training method if one keeps an open mind.
Hunter Payne

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:56 am

Nope, I meant program; working with wee pups, flocking, the barrel, may pole, e-collar, the wagon, all are integral to the Buddy Stick.

But you are right there are any number of successfully ways to train dogs.

Shelley does not elaborate on his use of the cane pole in his book beyond he used it to bend the dog. And I can find no other reference to it.