Need some advice. Pointing.

randomnut

Need some advice. Pointing.

Post by randomnut » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:14 pm

8 month old pup. I've been working him with birds for a while, mostly chukar, but occasionally quail. I haven't been able to get good flying quail in a while, so for the last month, all chukar.

In the last 2 weeks, he's been great on chukar. With the cooler weather and lower humidity, he's pointed from 20, 30, and even one from 40 yards away.

I have a place pretty close to get him on wild birds, but access is not always possible. For some reason, he doesn't seem to point wild quail as well. Sometimes not pointing at all, and others maybe a quick point before barging on into the covey.

I will continue to get him on the wild birds when possible, but what should I do other than that?

Donnytpburge

Re: Need some advice. Pointing.

Post by Donnytpburge » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:57 pm

IMO I would use a launcher to control the flush which will teach the dog to respect the scent cone.

DB

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Your dog is still young. Give him some time to mature and figure these things out. I wouldn't worry about it much at his age.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 pm

He'll get on to the wild quail. He's young and it takes experience. A bird is not a bird - meaning every bird requires experience. Just keep getting him out . The birds will teach more than you possibly could.

"What else should I be doing?" quote OP

What dog yard work are you doing? Are you using a program if training is new to you? learning whoa, learning to come every time he's called , conditioning to the e collar maybe and gun conditioning maybe ( both depend on the maturity level of your dog).

http://sportdog.com.au/training-informa ... mmand.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:54 pm

I am using a launcher on the chukar, Donny. I'll start with pen raised quail instead of chukar this week.

That's what I was thinking Dakota.

Sharon, I always appreciate your insightful advice. I just started him with the e collar and it is going well. Basic obedience is still a work in progress, gun conditioning was done long ago. I have not done any work on "whoa".

I guess for now I'll just keep on keeping on. I'll get him on wild birds as much as possible, and work with pen raised in the meantime.

Season opens the 1st, but I don't think I'll be shooting birds for a while.

Thanks folks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Thanks.
Pen raised quail don't fly well. BIG chance of your dog catching those birds. If it were me , I would stick to the wild birds and hard flying pigeons for yard work.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:56 am

It's wild birds the pup isn't pointing so keep it hunting the wild birds. As others have said the pup just needs more opportunities to gain experience.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:49 am

Lots of great advice already said, soak it up. Get this dog to stop to flush and understand what the correction means and then take your time getting to the point.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:22 am

Dakotazeb wrote:Your dog is still young. Give him some time to mature and figure these things out. I wouldn't worry about it much at his age.
Exactly!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:42 am

Keep running him on wild birds. He is still a pup. You have all season on wild birds this year. Once the season opens shoot the ones he points. From now until then let him knock and chase them until he figures out how to point them. Come spring he will have a year under his belt, hopefully he will decide before the end of the season he wants to point them all instead of knocking and chasing them. Either way he will have experience and learned how to hunt and find birds go with you etc. In the spring you can put a check cord on him and work with the launchers to get him broke, and by fall you will have him broke to the level you want and ready for many good seasons together.