Flagging

sandhill

Flagging

Post by sandhill » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Hey Everyone
Hope you all had a great holiday! Here is my guestion I resently purchased a 14mo old pointer that has had no trainning done in the past and I have started his intro to birds (ie pigeons) he has a great nose and stands well off when he points however when he does he will flag.

Now when I go around to the front to simulate the flush he will stop and tighten up with no flagging at all. Is this a concern ? I intend to trial this dog and know that this trait is not good any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks
Steve

Mo

Post by Mo » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:28 pm

How is the pigeon planted? How birds are presented to dogs has a whole lot to do with what kind of point you will get. Also is the dog pointing the pigeon on its own or are checking cording the dog to the bird? Sorry for the questions but more info is needed to form a opinion about what is going on with your dog.. Sometimes flagging can be in the genes but I find that very rare in the dog bred today, especially pointers.

Mo

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:21 pm

Steve I have heard that some dogs will always (most always) flag on pigeons). Those I have heard about either started using gamebirds or wild birds and problem went away. Most seemed to have the best luck with wild birds.

Not to say this is the end all to your situation but it might be of some help.

Pup is still young so it may be in part to his age.

Hope things work out :wink:

sandhill

Post by sandhill » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:17 pm

Thanks for the replys guys, But all is well ! It was the pigeons, used some guail on him today and he was tight. And Mo yes I am check cording him into remote launchers. Was worried for a while seeing how I bought this dog on the breeders word that he was field trial material, Na not really if ya cant trust your breeder then who can you trust.

Steve