Training on In-Home Hazards

mboss

Training on In-Home Hazards

Post by mboss » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:32 pm

I am getting my GSP back from training next week (he'll be 1 year at that time) and have one item of house work I wanted some advice on. He was known as a puppy to eat socks. Thankfully after the first time he ate a pair he threw them up and I did not have a vet visit. We were pretty good about keeping closet doors shut, but my girlfriend is not as consistent as I am. She tries, and I remind her, and she KNOWS why she has to shut it but... sometimes it gets missed. I know the very simplest answer to this is the best one: Keep the door closed. That said, I got to thinking maybe I'd have better luck training the dog then training the girlfriend (so to speak, and let's not tell her I phrased it that way). I know you can train a dog to not chase deer, or rabitts or mess with a snake using an eCollar, and certainly the principle behind an electric fence is training boundaries. Can you train a pup to stay out of a certain room of the house in the same manner? I would think you could given all the other things they can learn but wanted some advice on this.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Training on In-Home Hazards

Post by Neil » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:38 pm

Yes, easily.

mboss

Post by mboss » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Neil wrote:Yes, easily.
How would you recommend going about it?

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:21 pm

Rig it up with a Scat Matt or mouse traps. Invite her in. Won't take many time.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:59 am

It's like boundary training, don't allow her in there. When you go in and she follows, send her out. Walk her down the hall and if she veers in there, correct her and get her out. No need to bully, simply say "No, out!" and collar her out or push (crowd) her out with your body. Be very consistent.

It's kind of nice to have one room that is a dog-free zone...less vacuuming and smaller dust bunnies under the bed :lol:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:28 am

shags wrote:It's like boundary training, don't allow her in there. When you go in and she follows, send her out. Walk her down the hall and if she veers in there, correct her and get her out. No need to bully, simply say "No, out!" and collar her out or push (crowd) her out with your body. Be very consistent.

It's kind of nice to have one room that is a dog-free zone...less vacuuming and smaller dust bunnies under the bed :lol:
Yes, like he says.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:36 pm

She's a she :)

Personally I'd figure out a way to correct the dog without the dog knowing I'm doing it. I wouldn't want the dog to associate the correction with me in that case.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mboss

Post by mboss » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:22 am

Stoneface wrote:Rig it up with a Scat Matt or mouse traps. Invite her in. Won't take many time.
Used a Scatt Matt here. Fiance stepped on it instead of the dog, threw it over the railing. Long story short I think it works! ;)

I have done some boundary training with him and he picked it up quickly. I think he should be good with that. Just need to find a new use for the matt...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:33 pm

Will you still be getting married? :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mboss

Post by mboss » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:38 am

Yeah but at this point it might be to the dog.

Glockbuilder

Post by Glockbuilder » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Where are you in Southern Ohio

mboss

Post by mboss » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm in Cincinnati.