E-COLLARS INTRODUCTION

cartae11

E-COLLARS INTRODUCTION

Post by cartae11 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:37 pm

What's the best way to start a 9 month old brittany to the ecollar? He knows basic commands but lil hard headed at times, more out in the field. I want him to come when I say so. Thanks

pooch897

E-COLLARS INTRODUCTION

Post by pooch897 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm in the same boat. Sort of. But opposite. I have a 6 month old Britt. Listens awesome in the field so far but is hard headed in the house/yard. I bought a e collar but don't want to do it wrong.

mnaj_springer

Re: E-COLLARS INTRODUCTION

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:36 pm

There are a few different programs for e-collar conditioning. It all depends on what you like and makes sense. I prefer the way Hickox does it (or at least how it's described in the book I have of his). But either way, the first step is that the pup understands the commands completely. And if you've only done obedience training in the yard, it doesn't understand that it translates to the field.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:49 pm

I dont' know about the Hickox proxram, but the program Evan Graham has was developed by Rex Carr and is the basis for all electric collar use today. I would strongly suggest the Evan Graham DVD.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:40 am

gonehuntin' wrote:I dont' know about the Hickox proxram, but the program Evan Graham has was developed by Rex Carr and is the basis for all electric collar use today. I would strongly suggest the Evan Graham DVD.

+1, For the average work a day guy or gal that owns a pet hunter companion, Evan Graham's SmartWorks system is the best approach out there for Pointing or Retrieving dogs.
It is a wholistic approach to the entire process of e-collar training.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:37 am

I have also heard good things about Evan Graham's program (but personally haven't used it). Like I said, find one you like and MAKES SENSE to you because you'll be following and implementing it.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:22 am

It will help you, and the dog if you allow the ecollar to be an extension of the check cord. Get the dog to start doing pretty well, with the check cord first.
When you get a collar, the dog should be wearing it at all times while working, that way when you start overlaying things....its isn't something new, nor they don't become collar wise.
When start to use the ecollar, you will start at lowest setting, and work your way up. Look for the slightest movement from the dog, when you tap the control. You will see a eye blink, ear twitch, usually. That is plenty of collar, the dog is telling you it feels it. If your at a larger number then 1, go down to next lowest, see if dog shows you it feels it, then adjust accordingly. your are teaching things, you don't have to be strong with the amount of collar you use.
When you use the collar with a command, you will get things done easier, in my opinion, when you say the command, tap, and repeat the word. this allows the dog to understand the command, and the collar together. Like, "Joe, here, tap, here" a lot do things different, this has worked very well, with myself, and the people I have helped learn things, while being at my home. Over time, and work/trust between you and the dog........the second word, will be not needed. The dog will start doing on its own naturally. Just be a Joe, here, tap, if needed........pet and love him up when he complies. Its not going to happen overnight.
When this stuff happens in the field, the dog is usually getting self employed, and saying screw you, I am doing for myself.
The ecollar is really easy to learn and helps another level of trust, between you and the dog.........grow. You are welcome to pm if you would like to talk more on it.
Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Mumpy

Post by Mumpy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:10 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I would strongly suggest the Evan Graham DVD.
^^This^^

I used Evan's program on eCollar conditioning and it worked great. You don't have to purchase the DVD, you can purchase his SmartFetch book and it illustrates it pretty well in the first chapter. If you plan to FF, you should purchase the book and the DVD set.
Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger...