Stopped picking up training (frozen) birds

mboss

Stopped picking up training (frozen) birds

Post by mboss » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:18 pm

I recently got my GSP back from training. He was there for 2 months, is now 1 year old. The trainer did not teach force fetch, he taught it differently (if it has a specific name, I do not know it). Before I got him home he was at this point in the training: he would be on a 20 foot lead, frozen quail would be tossed, he'd run out to it and trainer would guide him back in saying "fetch here." I was there to watch him do this several times, and it went off fairly easily, only dropping the bird a few times total. The past 3 weekends I have been out to see him and killed birds over him, each time him finding, picking up, and retuning me the bird (not perfect, but it got there). The trainer asked that I continue playing the fetch game with frozen quail, which he provided a bag of, at home throughout the season. First time he did ok... the next two times, nothing. No interest at all. He'd run to it when thrown, then just trot back to me. Sometimes he'd sniff it or make a little mouthing action towards it, but ultimately would not pick up the bird much less bring it back to me. In fact he seems to have limited interest in it at all prior to being tossed. By comparison in the trainers yard he was locked on that bird, and straining to go get it.

Less importantly: What happened here?
More importantly: What do I do now?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Stopped picking up training (frozen) birds

Post by polmaise » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Bill T's reply got deleted . but I would go back to your trainer.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:33 pm

Frozen birds are a pile of crap. Your dog is not forced. If he's been retrieveing hard, frozen, yuky quail, they you give him a fresh shot bird, there are many dog's that won't pick up a frozen bird again. There is just no interest there in the frozen birds for him. I'm not big on frozen birds.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

mboss

Post by mboss » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:40 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Frozen birds are a pile of crap. Your dog is not forced. If he's been retrieveing hard, frozen, yuky quail, they you give him a fresh shot bird, there are many dog's that won't pick up a frozen bird again. There is just no interest there in the frozen birds for him. I'm not big on frozen birds.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate the help.

All of that makes sense logically. I get that part of it. I'm not in an experience position to disagree with you one bit about frozen birds. Where I am a little stuck is why now? He's been picking up frozen quail during the fetch game and fresh shot quail in the field on the same day for the past 4 weeks. He was doing both no problem until we came home, now he decided he doesn't want to do frozen anymore. That part didn't make sense. I called the trainer tonight as well and he said "he may just be tired of the frozen ones, he's been retrieving shot birds in the field" He said either try to get him excited about the frozen one and tease him with it a bit first, or just not worry about it.

So... my new question is this. How can I keep working on fetch with him home in the yard between hunts assuming frozen quail is not the way to go? Do I NEED to keep working with him on fetch to keep it reinforced? This is his first season and we'll be getting out roughly every other weekend.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:12 am

Keep training the retrieve but don't do it with frozen birds. Your dog has already shown you that it will retrieve fresh birds so why worry about frozen ones ? If you want to practice retrieves use fresh dead birds or bumpers.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:50 am

I would imagine the poor dog isn't a fan of holding a rock solid freezing bird in his mouth. Never ever use frozen birds for training, thaw them first before use. This is just one of the many problems it can cause.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:34 am

It doesn't really matter WHY he doesn't like frozen birds; he doesn't. I always tell people to imagine themselves walking around with a frozen lump in your mouth. If you want to make the birds last, put them in the refrigerator. They'll stay soft and the dog will like retrieving them. If he were ff'd, you woldn't be having the problem. Or, if you didn't use frozen birds, it wouldn't be a problem.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Mumpy

Post by Mumpy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:23 am

gonehuntin' wrote:It doesn't really matter WHY he doesn't like frozen birds; he doesn't. I always tell people to imagine themselves walking around with a frozen lump in your mouth. If you want to make the birds last, put them in the refrigerator. They'll stay soft and the dog will like retrieving them. If he were ff'd, you woldn't be having the problem. Or, if you didn't use frozen birds, it wouldn't be a problem.

I approve this message hehe :-)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:01 am

Frozen birds for training should be thawed before using them. Don't need completely thawed but the feather's and most important, the neck. The neck get's to where it wobble's around like a fresh killed bird and it's ready. Force fetching will get the job done faster and for competition, most feel it's a must. I'd tend to agree with that. But for the average bird hunter, just isn't that necessary unless you just like doing it. Keep in mind that anything you put into your dogs mouth will likely be different than a fresh killed bird. Get the dog onto fresh killed birds and it's very possible his attitude will change, not always for the better though as it may decide that keeping the bird for itself is more fun. Would be a very good idea when going to fresh killed, have the dog on a cc and don't require anything longer in the way of a fetch until the dog is doing it right.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mboss

Post by mboss » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:18 pm

Thanks Don, that was very helpful.