Dog Losing Interest

kraizyangel

Dog Losing Interest

Post by kraizyangel » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:01 pm

I have an English Setter and he is about 3 years old. I have taken him out quite a bit and he is a great hunter, or was. Last year we took our German Shorthair to a trainer, since we live in town and do not have a lot of places to take her. When we got her back we decided to send Sam down there, just to fine tune his skills. He would point, hold a point, and then get a bit excited and jump the birds. Since this guy did a phenomenal job with Mae, we figured he would make Sam the best ever. Problem! I took him out yesterday and he would not point and ran past birds, had ZERO interest in hunting, period. He was a great bird dog before he went to this guy. I am so upset because now my husband wants me to sell him. I know he can hunt since he has proven himself the last few years. Are there any tips to help me get him back to where he was, or do you think he may be a lost cause as well? :(

oldbeek

Re: Dog Losing Interest

Post by oldbeek » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:06 pm

Are the birds he will not point stocked birds or wild birds. I over trained my dog and she would just blink stocked birds. She locked solid on wild birds. She will point stocked birds now, but with low intensity.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:12 pm

I'd say give it time. Tell your man to back off for a while. :)
Could be the trainer was too harsh with your second dog , so the dog is now blinking birds. Did you see the trainer work with your dog?
Could be ...........
Give it some time.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:04 am

I am so upset because now my husband wants me to sell him.

How on earth do you get rid of a dog as if it's a broken down car? I don't understand how such loving and dedicated animals can be treated like objects by some.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:40 am

Because they are animals not children. Cows are loving and dedicated animals, have a friend that claims her snakes are. My miniature goats love me dearly, more than most of my dogs.

Shaming the lady is not helping.

kraizyangel

Post by kraizyangel » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:49 am

They are pen raised birds. When we went hunting on Saturday to see how he was doing, the quail had only been released for about 2 weeks. He builds his own call boxes for them to covey up. When I take him hunting to a state place, they only release pheasant. However, a lot of the pheasant have habitated there for years, since they only release 'X' amount for the season between 14 fields, and they do not have a clean up season. The state place has 1200 acres for him to hunt, while this guy only has about 10, could that be a problem too?

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:01 pm

I'm shaming her husband and if a stranger's opinion on the internet upsets someone, they might recall that it's the internet. I was not nor do I care to be disrespectful to anybody but I can't help but to ponder how one can raise a sweet little pup and then dump it because it doesn't hunt well enough. Dogs to me, are not livestock.

I had a pet cow once but he was heck on furniture!

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:07 pm

I have no problem with someone selling a dog, but I would love to hear the sales pitch for this one.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:22 pm

NEhomer wrote:I'm shaming her husband and if a stranger's opinion on the internet upsets someone, they might recall that it's the internet. I was not nor do I care to be disrespectful to anybody but I can't help but to ponder how one can raise a sweet little pup and then dump it because it doesn't hunt well enough. Dogs to me, are not livestock.

You are entitled to your feelings, but not to foster them on others. There are many cultures where dogs are livestock, raised to be eaten. Ponder it, but you have no right to judge. Many in our culture consider hunting dogs tools, enjoyable tools, but without your emotional attachment. At least the husband did not threaten to cook the dog.

How is the dog any more important than the cow that was hard on your furniture? Is wear and tear your measure? If so, a hamster would be even more valued.

All I said was your comment was not helpful.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:36 pm

Come on guys. You are all knowledgeable. Help the lady understand what has happened to her dog.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 pm

Neil wrote:
NEhomer wrote:I'm shaming her husband and if a stranger's opinion on the internet upsets someone, they might recall that it's the internet. I was not nor do I care to be disrespectful to anybody but I can't help but to ponder how one can raise a sweet little pup and then dump it because it doesn't hunt well enough. Dogs to me, are not livestock.

You are entitled to your feelings, but not to foster them on others. There are many cultures where dogs are livestock, raised to be eaten. Ponder it, but you have no right to judge. Many in our culture consider hunting dogs tools, enjoyable tools, but without your emotional attachment. At least the husband did not threaten to cook the dog.

How is the dog any more important than the cow that was hard on your furniture? Is wear and tear your measure? If so, a hamster would be even more valued.

But you'll foster yours on me. It's a message board Neil...people are supposed to share their thoughts....that's kind of the idea. I don't care about other cultures, I feel a personal responsibility to care for a dog that I bring into my home. You may treat yours as cattle if it suits you. I'm perplexed to understand your "cooking" the dog slant but again, I won't sweat a post on a message board beyond this response. I don't consider my dog to be a tool. You're free to treat yours as such. Cast away a loving pup that doesn't have the nose or range you're seeking. I simply would never do that. If you don't want to hear that, you have a scroll wheel on your mouse.

Shortly after the 9/11 attacks I had a 5 month old brittany pup. One evening she had gotten a small bag from the garbage with foil in it. I was desperate to catch her so I didn't have a vet visit to get her stomach pumped and as she rounded the corner of the garage in the dark I tried to grab her. I accidentally stepped on her foot and her leg snapped right in half as her momentum carried her over my foot. $300 that night and a $2500 operation later, she was still my hunting prospect. As expected, after just 8 or 9 years, she was too lame to hunt. I kept her and made a ramp for her off the front steps. I put her to sleep last September and drove home bawling like a child. You, apparently would have simply put her down and saved yourself the money and effort.

Your perspective is yours while mine is mine. I believe that I did the right thing and when I pass her grave out back with my new setter pup, I'm proud that I did right by her.

...and I certainly hope that you didn't believe that I actually had a pet cow on the couch. Cripes.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Knotthead, not once did I say what I would do or how I feel about dogs. I was pointing out your hypocrisy, and how offensive your posts are. If you can't understand you are the aggressor and not the victim, it is not my job to educate you.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:35 pm

NEhomer wrote:
Neil wrote:

But you'll foster yours on me. It's a message board Neil...people are supposed to share their thoughts....that's kind of the idea. I don't care about other cultures, I feel a personal responsibility to care for a dog that I bring into my home. You may treat yours as cattle if it suits you. I'm perplexed to understand your "cooking" the dog slant but again, I won't sweat a post on a message board beyond this response. I don't consider my dog to be a tool. You're free to treat yours as such. Cast away a loving pup that doesn't have the nose or range you're seeking. I simply would never do that. If you don't want to hear that, you have a scroll wheel on your mouse.

Shortly after the 9/11 attacks I had a 5 month old brittany pup. One evening she had gotten a small bag from the garbage with foil in it. I was desperate to catch her so I didn't have a vet visit to get her stomach pumped and as she rounded the corner of the garage in the dark I tried to grab her. I accidentally stepped on her foot and her leg snapped right in half as her momentum carried her over my foot. $300 that night and a $2500 operation later, she was still my hunting prospect. As expected, after just 8 or 9 years, she was too lame to hunt. I kept her and made a ramp for her off the front steps. I put her to sleep last September and drove home bawling like a child. You, apparently would have simply put her down and saved yourself the money and effort.

Your perspective is yours while mine is mine. I believe that I did the right thing and when I pass her grave out back with my new setter pup, I'm proud that I did right by her.

...and I certainly hope that you didn't believe that I actually had a pet cow on the couch. Cripes.
You are right, it is a message board and the topic is a dog losing interest. If you and Neil want to get opinions on which one of you are smarter start a topic with that as a title and you can settle it there unless everyone else is so interested that we overload the board with comments that I am sure both of you will be happy to discuss.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:11 pm

Sharon wrote:Come on guys. You are all knowledgeable. Help the lady understand what has happened to her dog.
The Trainer (pro) may have done a great job on the dog ,but not such a good job in training the lady ?
The Lady may not have carried out the same process and procedures that the trainer had done with the dog to achieve the results .
Either way , It's not the dogs fault . So the Husband has taken the wrong choice :wink:

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:39 pm

Hello Kraizyangel,

Sounds like a nice dog. If you decide to sell him, please let me know. I can get him happy and hunting again in a couple of weeks. I fix many of the softer, intelligent dogs that have been damaged by "whoa" training. I have many clients that would love to have him.

Here is a video of a Setter I helped recently. Be sure to read the text that's there with the video.
https://youtu.be/Lxs-R7em1XQ

Brad Higgins
http://www.HigginsGundogs.com

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:06 pm

[/quote]You are right, it is a message board and the topic is a dog losing interest. If you and Neil want to get opinions on which one of you are smarter start a topic with that as a title and you can settle it there unless everyone else is so interested that we overload the board with comments that I am sure both of you will be happy to discuss.[/quote]

I directly quoted the OP. You're tossing in a tangent about who thinks they're smarter while scolding me about being off topic.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:17 pm

" damaged by whoa training" quote Higgins

Thanks Brad. Can you expand on that for the OP?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:33 pm

NEhomer wrote:You are right, it is a message board and the topic is a dog losing interest. If you and Neil want to get opinions on which one of you are smarter start a topic with that as a title and you can settle it there unless everyone else is so interested that we overload the board with comments that I am sure both of you will be happy to discuss.

I directly quoted the OP. You're tossing in a tangent about who thinks they're smarter while scolding me about being off topic.

I am not scolding, just trying to keep the post on subject instead of a couple of people going back and forth, Not a biggy but that is how a lot of biggys start
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:45 pm

OP, from your account it sounds like something bad happened at the trainer's and I would bet it had something to do with a mistake using the ecollar. The dog likely got zapped and did not understand why, and has shut down rather than risk another zap. If you are patient you can turn the dog around. It will take a while, but evenetually he'll get over it. Take him out preferably with birds down, and let him happy time. Don't nag or over-direct him, and really, pretty much ignore him. Lead him into birds and keep wuiet and let him figure things out. Just let him revert to puppy stuff. Once he's hunting and finding birds again, you can go through the puppy steps of training and he'll respond if you are gentle. Once he's 'back' you can work him to where you jad him before.

You might want to talk to your trainer about this and get his take on it. He might have an explanation other than the ecollar thing, hopefully, and give you some advice on what to do.

Good luck with the dog and the husband :)

kraizyangel

Post by kraizyangel » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:58 am

If all you are going to do is whine about my husband and his opinion of the dog, please quit posting. I am legitimately trying to understand and get some tips on how to help him. I would appreciate you take your arguments elsewhere.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:55 pm

i would just let the dog go out and let him have fun its like starting over no commands maybe the dog had to much presure put un just start over and let the dog get its confdents back

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:25 pm

kraizyangel wrote: I am so upset because now my husband wants me to sell him. I know he can hunt since he has proven himself the last few years. Are there any tips to help me get him back to where he was, or do you think he may be a lost cause as well? :(
If the 'Lady' doesn't like the replies then she should not include material that she doesn't want comment on .
The only 'Tip' I personally would give is 'If the dog was fine with the trainer,then perhaps the trainer was doing it right' .

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:54 pm

So you're "so upset because now my husband wants me to sell him." And at once angry with me for sympathizing with you. You will indeed get no further comment. Good luck to you and the dog.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:19 pm

Well this thread went horribly wrong! At least it was a valid question she had and was asking to help her pick which puppy matches her eye color the best! (Been down that road before)

G/L kraizyangel, im sure you will get it sorted out.