How to get my pup to come when called in the field?

northwoodshunter

How to get my pup to come when called in the field?

Post by northwoodshunter » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:19 pm

I have a 7 month old English Setter pup and right now i don't have a lot of time between getting home and dark, so i want to work most on general/field obedience.He will go to a trainer too. He knows come and whoa pretty good, just when he is in a field or woods, he gets so distracted he doesn't always listen. What i do when i can, is i go in th woods with him on the check cord and keep a loose grip or let it drag and when i say come i grab and enforce the command then say ok or lets go or go and let him go again so i think that is making a little bit of progress on it. I just wanted to know what any of you do for obedience? ANy advice is helpful
Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: How to get my pup to come when called in the field?

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:51 pm

At 7 months , in your situation as posted in other threads, I would transition to the e collar.

See the section here on intro to the e collar

http://montanabreton.com/july%202013.pdf

"I just wanted to know what any of you do for obedience?" quote NWH

Best tip I can give ( for your next dog:) ) is to start out the day you get the pup. I never call the dog to come unless I'm prepared to get my butt off the couch , go out in the snow in my slippers etc..... and enforce the command. After 6- ? weeks that pup is coming every time and I now have a 10 year old who still comes every time.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:11 pm

Sharon, thanks for all your help in all of my threads, and i usually enforce the commands as best as i could, and now i am getting used to it a lot more, and i just think that it's just now starting to click to the pup because i took a lot of advice from this site and trainers, and have been using it , i just wanted to know what others do and if I think it would work good, if i will do that instead.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:24 pm

Glad the forum has been helpful. Don't be worried about an e collar. It's a tool , just like a CC. In many ways it would be kinder than a CC choking on the dog every time he gets caught in a bush.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:37 pm

Do you think a e collar should be track and train or just a normal long range e collar?

ruffbritt4

Re:

Post by ruffbritt4 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:45 pm

northwoodshunter wrote:Do you think a e collar should be track and train or just a normal long range e collar?
By track do you mean beep or gps? If you mean gps like the Garmin Alpha I would say just train, and get a separate tracking system. If you have a gps and ecollar combo and it goes down, you lose both the ecollar and gps. Too many eggs in one basket

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Not sure what "track and train " means. GPS units are not allowed in Ontario where I live. I've found the Dogtra 2500 B/T has been all I need. E collar is simple to use and the beeper tells me where the dog is for quite a distance depending on the terrain.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:08 am

northwoodshunter wrote:I have a 7 month old English Setter pup and right now i don't have a lot of time between getting home and dark, so i want to work most on general/field obedience.He will go to a trainer too. He knows come and whoa pretty good, just when he is in a field or woods, he gets so distracted he doesn't always listen. What i do when i can, is i go in th woods with him on the check cord and keep a loose grip or let it drag and when i say come i grab and enforce the command then say ok or lets go or go and let him go again so i think that is making a little bit of progress on it. I just wanted to know what any of you do for obedience? ANy advice is helpful
Thanks
I condition them to the Acme 210 1/2 :wink:

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:15 am

polmaise wrote:
northwoodshunter wrote:I have a 7 month old English Setter pup and right now i don't have a lot of time between getting home and dark, so i want to work most on general/field obedience.He will go to a trainer too. He knows come and whoa pretty good, just when he is in a field or woods, he gets so distracted he doesn't always listen. What i do when i can, is i go in th woods with him on the check cord and keep a loose grip or let it drag and when i say come i grab and enforce the command then say ok or lets go or go and let him go again so i think that is making a little bit of progress on it. I just wanted to know what any of you do for obedience? ANy advice is helpful
Thanks
Garmin Alpha = $799.00, Acme 210.5 = $7.99 :D

Mike
"Endeavor to perservere."

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:59 pm

MJB64 wrote:
polmaise wrote:
Thanks
Garmin Alpha = $799.00, Acme 210.5 = $7.99 :D

Mike
+1 Acme 212 also a good alternative. http://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/xcart/home.php?cat=3
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Whistle would be a good start. Now tell the member how to condition to a whistle recall. He's waiting. :)

edited for spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:11 pm

Sharon wrote:Whistle would be a good start. No tell the member how to condition to a whistle recall. He's waiting. :)
Conditioning is done over a period of time with a constant and always a reward for the dog .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVYNWnubYOE

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks! Beautiful dogs! but tell them they can't poop during the video.:)

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:30 pm

polmaise wrote:
Sharon wrote:Whistle would be a good start. No tell the member how to condition to a whistle recall. He's waiting. :)
Conditioning is done over a period of time with a constant and always a reward for the dog .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVYNWnubYOE

+1 Robert very nice 2.5 Minute video save me a lengthy paragraph on what solid recall should look and sound like.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:36 pm

It's easier 'Sharon' when you get the conditioning done on the first day of human intervention .
After that, most with no dog skills call in the behaviourists :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vbZz_iHEug

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:45 pm

I want to whistle train him but right now I'm still looking for a good program kinda and I've introduced it a bit and he seemed to get it to a certain extent.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:45 pm

You just got the programme above . :)

Robert: Exactly ..........................I thought those pups were never going to stop coming. :)

northwoodshunter

Post by northwoodshunter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:51 pm

I thought about it for a little bit, so I am pretty sure that i am buying a Garmin Delta Upland XC and im going to put the point locator mode on to locate when pointing. And in a controlled area like a ballfield, with any entrances blocked off or something similar is where im going to introduce him to the collar. I think im going to have 1 of the tones it makes as a recall command. So i hit the tone if he doesn't listen ill hit it again and give him a low stim correction and go up until he listens. and later as he gets older and more mature I might do that with whoa too. But i will also have him trained on whistle commands at some point, although i may never need it.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:30 pm

I hope everything works out well for you.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:53 am

Make sure you take the time to overlay the verbal and the tone so that he understands that the tone is a command. You can do that in your yard. When he understands, then you can use a stim to enforce an ignored command. Don't just buckle the collar on and tone and zap and expect him to know what you want. That's a sure way to mess him up.

Good luck with your pup.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:03 am

northwoodshunter wrote:I thought about it for a little bit, so I am pretty sure that i am buying a Garmin Delta Upland XC and im going to put the point locator mode on to locate when pointing. And in a controlled area like a ballfield, with any entrances blocked off or something similar is where im going to introduce him to the collar. I think im going to have 1 of the tones it makes as a recall command. So i hit the tone if he doesn't listen ill hit it again and give him a low stim correction and go up until he listens. and later as he gets older and more mature I might do that with whoa too. But i will also have him trained on whistle commands at some point, although i may never need it.
Remember that an ecollar is used ONLY for reinforcing commands, not teaching them. Use the check cord and teach him with the tone just like as if it were you saying "here," and only transition to the ecollar when he knows what you want. The ecollar isn't used as a magic wand that when you press the button the dog listens. It is a process.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:22 am

shags wrote:Make sure you take the time to overlay the verbal and the tone so that he understands that the tone is a command. You can do that in your yard. When he understands, then you can use a stim to enforce an ignored command. Don't just buckle the collar on and tone and zap and expect him to know what you want. That's a sure way to mess him up.

Good luck with your pup.
X2

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:39 am

call the dogs name when you get the dog to look turn and walk in the other direction the dog will follow later you can call and blow the whis.tyen go to whis. only