not smelling birds

tailcracken pointer

not smelling birds

Post by tailcracken pointer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:54 am

I have two month old EPs they are sisters one is hitting and holding birds nice !! The other was givin to me and said was just an inside spoiled dog that just stayed in the house lol so I have had her for two weeks she trusts me and we go for runs across the the street covers ground better than her sister quicker and faster which was great and even is smell pointing tweety birds , so I buy some quail to put in the launcher and I mean doesn't even turn all the while on the cc I bring her in cross wind down wind nothing? I try moving the launcher two different spots and nothing ? Suggestions??

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: not smelling birds

Post by Neil » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:06 pm

They are 2 months old?

Might want to wait a bit before getting concern.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Let me ask a question and you don't need to answer it but think about it at least. Does a baby puppy not smell the bird or might it just not pay any attention to it yet since it has not been exposed to most of the smells it is encountering? Did you crawl to the kitchen as a baby when you smelled a steak frying or any other of your favorite foods cooking? We all need to give a pup time and the opportunity to investigate this big wonderful world before it decides what is interesting enough to investigate further. In other words, let the puppies brain catch up with its nose. It will happen sometimes in the next several months.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:08 pm

If they are as young as you say you need to back up. They're just pups

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:11 pm

no my gosh 7 months sorry

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:33 pm

Still babies, but properly introduce them to gun fire and then, only then, shoot a couple of birds for each. Always work them separately.

They all point. You benefit from a book or DVD.

mask

Post by mask » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:13 pm

Ezzy made some good points. Your pup probably smells the birds and just does not identify them as something to point. No matter how you go about their training, I would highly recommend you run them, hunt them, separately. Have fun in the process.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Neil wrote:They are 2 months old?

Might want to wait a bit before getting concern.
tailcracken pointer wrote:I have two month old EPs they are sisters one is hitting and holding birds nice !! The other was givin to me
I read it as x2 4 week old pups ,one of them was given two weeks ago ? :lol:

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:35 pm

I meant to say two 7 month old pups

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:09 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:I have two month old EPs they are sisters one is hitting and holding birds nice !! The other was givin to me and said was just an inside spoiled dog that just stayed in the house lol so I have had her for two weeks she trusts me and we go for runs across the the street covers ground better than her sister quicker and faster which was great and even is smell pointing tweety birds , so I buy some quail to put in the launcher and I mean doesn't even turn all the while on the cc I bring her in cross wind down wind nothing? I try moving the launcher two different spots and nothing ? Suggestions??
Well you've only had the second dog for 2 weeks and you said "was just an inside spoiled dog that just stayed in the house". Just needs more time and experience. You've taken her sister farther. The second girl will probably catch up.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:32 pm

has the dog been introduced to live birds yet? Pigeon rigged so it can't fly far. Shake it in the dogs face and toss it out so pup can run it down.

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Your right Sharon she is catching up !! I took them on a weekend hunt she did really nice as I didn't expect much she was stopping and pointing singles but as soon as she would stop and hold for about 3 seconds the bird would take off , just skittish wild birds , what kind of confuses me is she didn't even hit a easy bird in light cover in a launcher but hits a few wild bird singles? Oh and her sister who I have had since a pup pointed her first wild covey lol

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:43 pm

tailcracken pointer wrote:Your right Sharon she is catching up !! I took them on a weekend hunt she did really nice as I didn't expect much she was stopping and pointing singles but as soon as she would stop and hold for about 3 seconds the bird would take off , just skittish wild birds , what kind of confuses me is she didn't even hit a easy bird in light cover in a launcher but hits a few wild bird singles? Oh and her sister who I have had since a pup pointed her first wild covey lol
:) They LOVE wild birds.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett