E Collar Problems

Roe90

E Collar Problems

Post by Roe90 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:58 am

Starting to begin force to a pile and I've noticed that sometimes it seems like the e collar works and sometimes it doesn't. I feel like the prongs aren't hitting her skin on some occasions, any tips or tricks for this? She's a yellow lab female and the collar works just fine, I tested it on my leg to make sure there weren't any issues. Thanks!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: E Collar Problems

Post by shags » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:47 pm

What brand and model collar are you working with? I had a Sportdog that gave me fits like that, it was not reliable at all.
Otherwise check to...
Make sure the collar is snug enough around the dogs neck, and buckled up right behind the ears.
Use the longer set of prongs if supplied.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:36 pm

Sometimes longer prongs are necessary. What type of collar?
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:44 pm

Make sure the collar is up around her ears, and not down on the neck.

You may be working at too low of an intensity; up the intensity.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:01 pm

Roe90 wrote:Starting to begin force to a pile and I've noticed that sometimes it seems like the e collar works and sometimes it doesn't. I feel like the prongs aren't hitting her skin on some occasions, any tips or tricks for this? She's a yellow lab female and the collar works just fine, I tested it on my leg to make sure there weren't any issues. Thanks!
To 'Throw a spanner' in to the works . Is it the dog or the equipment that isn't working ?..Or the Operator.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:05 pm

polmaise wrote:
Roe90 wrote:Starting to begin force to a pile and I've noticed that sometimes it seems like the e collar works and sometimes it doesn't. I feel like the prongs aren't hitting her skin on some occasions, any tips or tricks for this? She's a yellow lab female and the collar works just fine, I tested it on my leg to make sure there weren't any issues. Thanks!
To 'Throw a spanner' in to the works . Is it the dog or the equipment that isn't working ?..Or the Operator.
I think it was clear that the question is about the consistency of the collar.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Only one way to know for sure. Strap it to your leg on the highest setting, have wife start video recording you, hit the continuous stim button, then post the video so we can determine if its working properly.

Jk. My dogs collar doesnt make proper contact unless it is in 4 or 8 oclock position under her chin. And with the locator on the back it shifts alot.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:46 pm

If the ecollar is working properly, make sure it is high up on the dogs neck and tight enough that it will not move, but not too tight. The top of the neck is the narrowest part so if you put the ecollar there it won't shift like if you were to put it on the bottom where it could move up. Longer contact points may be needed