10 week setter , what should I be doing

VAsetter

Post by VAsetter » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:27 am

I am new member . I have new setter 10 weeks. I have several older VHS tapes from "training pointing dogs" 1&2 by G hickox and was wonder if anyone else had thoughts on when too start introducing birds and othe commands I need too put on front of my list .. He is staying in crate at night in house . No problems And going too work with me as I carry same crate too work . We walk at 5am every mornin too try too release all puppy energy . I have started with CC too introduce crate and then say here with a lil tug for him too come back too me . Thanks for any and all response

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: 10 week setter , what should I be doing

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like pup has a great owner.... anybody who gets up at 5a.m
Let pup develop independence and confidence. Let him move in the fields without calling him back too much . I dizzy the odd pigeon for pup and let him chase and even grab it ( or stand and watch it fly away). Some don't do this.:)

LOts of good puppy help in here.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/training-with-mo.html

edited for spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:21 pm

i do its one way to build bird drive but dont let it flap in the dogs face let him smell the bird and chase in your hand then let it flyet him chase if he will good luck

VAsetter

Post by VAsetter » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:49 pm

Ok , thanks .. Here's new stuff ..week 1&2 went by pretty well .. Puppy seemed like well, a puppy
He would walk beside me calm .. Maybe he was feeling me out . Now he is pulling me around /or trying .. as I rotate from letting him run witha 20 ft check cord .to the standard leash .. On the leash walks I'm saying heel, when he spazzing out and chewing at the collar / leash .. I'll stop .. Let it pass pull the leash from his mouth .. Begin to walk again saying " heel" .. Words of wisdom ? .. Ohh and now . These past 2 days " in house" ..if I turn my back on him in the house .. He is leaving me a lil present .. :( what should I be doing there .. I caught him the last time and immediately took him outside ..

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Make sure u are taking him outside every half hour. I know this sounds tedious because of how much u are going to have to monitor him while you are home. The dog will begin to realize and understand that he has to relieve himself outside/on the grass. You will gradually start seeing him going to the door anticipating you to let him out to do his business.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:35 pm

X2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

VAsetter

Post by VAsetter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Will do , .. Any thoughts on the " heel" command.. Am I on the right track?

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:06 am

Tread lightly. Rule of thumb for me is one minute of training time for every month of age up to 10 months. IMO, a 30 minute walk forcing a 12 week old pup to heel properly is just too much. Better to let him out in an enclosed area to do his business/run off energy, again, my opinion. I like using games and the pup's natural movements to train. For instance, I start young pups out retrieving in the hallway of my house with all the doors closed. Pup's only options are straight out and straight back, or straight out and play with the "bird"(which is easy to handle indoors). Careful with trying to do too much too quickly. That being said, I believe even 7 week old puppies should have formal training every single day. Done properly and in the right doses of time, there is no better time to teach what you want.

On teaching heel, when he starts to get out front, change direction. We (people) are goal oriented. We walk from point A to point B in a straight line and pup is smart enough to figure that out rather quickly. Change direction frequently and he will start to focus on you instead of where you are going.

VAsetter

Post by VAsetter » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:12 am

Ok , will do , I see the point on the hallway .. We have begun trying too retrieve .. He will do it some times .. But I was out in the yard . ( lots of distractions ).. Thanks for the help . When tossing "bird"'which I bought 1 of the small puppy canvas trainers .. Do you say " fetch" .. "Fetch the bird"...."dead". What command?.. Or should I be using an actual dead bird.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:27 am

VAsetter, do you have any clubs or training groups in your area? You have a lot of questions and they may be able to answer them better because they can see and read your pup. Some pups can handle live birds earlier than others, but it's not something we can tell you about your dog without seeing it. But I have two things I can mention specifically:

1) I believe any time a puppy has an "accident" it is operator error. Your error. It's your job to watch him for signs that he has to "go" and get him outside promptly.

2) Others may disagree, but as a guy who mostly does upland hunting, I don't teach "heel" until after their first season, when they full understand that their job is to hunt out in front of me. I just don't want my dogs getting sticky and walking at a heel while in the field. I want them to confidently cover the ground in front. My wife hates it because it makes walking a puppy harder, but we've learned to deal with it and I've reaped the benefits.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:20 am

Any words you use for commands are your choice. Just make certain you use the same commands consistently.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Recommend: http://www.gundogsupply.com/training-with-mo.html

Good section on starting off pup.