First Season Excitement?

QuailHunterAZ

First Season Excitement?

Post by QuailHunterAZ » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:43 pm

First off, thank you everyone for all of the advice/help that everyone posts on here daily. I have been coming to this site for the past year and a half and it is beyond helpful!!

So my issue, I have a 14 month GSP that I hunt quail/dove with in AZ. My little girl is obsessed with birds! I have a video of her holding point for 16+ minutes without flushing a bird in the backyard...problem is, every time we get out into the field she cannot seem to hold point longer than about 10 seconds.

Is this just over-excitement from getting out in the field because she is young? or am I the one that has not prepped her well enough?

Thank you!

Higgins

Re: First Season Excitement?

Post by Higgins » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Hello QuailhunterAZ,

16+ minutes is a long time. Pointing is part of a strategy predators use to increases their odds of success (catching the bird). Are you sure that point was for the right reason? A pause before the pounce? If left alone, will she pounce and try to catch the bird?

Brad Higgins
http://www.HigginsGundogs.com

Higgins Gundogs hunting etiquette

Dogs: Stay in touch and handle well. Always honor another dog's point, be steady when necessary and manage the birds for the gun.
Handlers: Be silent in the hunt. Allow the dog the freedom to do his work. Nurture the natural retrieve.
Last edited by Higgins on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MGIII

First Season Excitement?

Post by MGIII » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Where in AZ are you. There are a few trainers and a few other people around the valley that can help you out. I live in chandler. pm me if you need help.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:49 pm

Dog needs more training on a check cord. Lots of birds. Dog needs to learn birds mean stop. Repetition will do the job. Don't let him get used to busting in . You will regret it later. Been there done that. I know, it is hunting season. Take time to train him first.

QuailHunterAZ

Post by QuailHunterAZ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:53 pm

"16+ minutes is a long time. Pointing is part of a strategy predators use to increases their odds of success (catching the bird). Are you sure that point was for the right reason? A pause before the pounce? If left alone, will she pounce and try to catch the bird?"

Ya, a very long time. And she was definitely pointing the birds. And eventually she will creep up on the bird if left long enough to do so.

QuailHunterAZ

Post by QuailHunterAZ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:56 pm

MGIII wrote:Where in AZ are you. There are a few trainers and a few other people around the valley that can help you out. I live in chandler. pm me if you need help.
I am in Chandler as well. I appreciate the offer, just tight on money so all of the training I do is by me. Thank you!

QuailHunterAZ

Post by QuailHunterAZ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:57 pm

oldbeek wrote:Dog needs more training on a check cord. Lots of birds. Dog needs to learn birds mean stop. Repetition will do the job. Don't let him get used to busting in . You will regret it later. Been there done that. I know, it is hunting season. Take time to train him first.
Thank you, we will start using the check cord more. Also, at times in the field it is almost as if she is just running around frantically and not taking the time to smell/hunt the area.

MGIII

First Season Excitement?

Post by MGIII » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:25 pm

QuailHunterAZ wrote:
MGIII wrote:Where in AZ are you. There are a few trainers and a few other people around the valley that can help you out. I live in chandler. pm me if you need help.
I am in Chandler as well. I appreciate the offer, just tight on money so all of the training I do is by me. Thank you!
PM sent.