Amateur trainer help

Jonjhawk

Amateur trainer help

Post by Jonjhawk » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Hello everybody,
My vizsla and I have been doing about everything together. My next step is to introduce birds and then the gun. Does anyone have any tips on the right way to do this? thank you

MillerClemsonHD

Re: Amateur trainer help

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:27 pm

The second book listed. Training with Mo. Best $25 you can spend.

http://www.pineyrunkennel.com/booksandarticles.php

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:09 pm

as MillerClemens HD said.............

I don't even consider gun conditioning until pup is SUPER excited about finding ( chasing in my case) , birds. Work with birds first. Your dog is 7 months now so get busy with birds- wild are best, but if no wild use hard flying pigeons. There is no recommended age for gun conditioning'
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:49 pm

The Perfect Start DVD outlines it in very detailed fashion. Also, if you are anywhere near North Missouri, they have clinics (4-day usually) that you can attend and learn to train the dog yourself. Best money I've ever spent. Jon is very, very good with Vizslas.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:49 am

I'll second Mo's book. Vizsla's can be odd ducks at times. They mature very slowly, and don't forget, or forgive, who done what? Lol
The good things about the book, and the method, we adjust to method to fit each dog individually. Every dog acts, thinks, and responds differently, to everything we do in the field. The biggest thing about working dogs, is to find a method that makes the most sense to you. If it does that for you, when you teach it to the dog, it will be easier, for the teacher, to show what we want, from or in the dog. The method, doesn't "make it happen, it gets it ready, and lets it happen." Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:56 am

tailcrackin wrote:They mature very slowly, and don't forget, or forgive, who done what? Lol
x2. But they do love their people. I have a four year old that I enjoy more than any bird dog I have ever owned even though I have had other dogs that were more effective in the field. I would also add that they can be very soft and do not need any heavy handedness.