Training pup to stop chasing cars

Taylor_B

Training pup to stop chasing cars

Post by Taylor_B » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Hello
My husband and I adopted a 7 month old english setter from a local shelter.
We currently have a lab/weim mix (1.5 years old) that we hunt upland birds with, and her obedience is great. We honestly never had a problem teaching her commands - but then again, we had her from 8 weeks old and on.
This new guy - not so much. The folks who surrendered him did so because they were an older couple who thought he was too "high energy" for their lifestyle.
This leads me to believe he had minimal obedience training as I'm assuming when they couldn't keep up, they gave up.
His pedigree appears to be pretty good based on his AKC papers and the research I've done on the breeder (Waymaker English Setters in Indiana), and I know he's got potential to both hunt, and be the sweetest companion.
He's been with us for a week now, and we've basically started from scratch with him...teaching basic obedience and working on a few commands. In the house, he does well. He's very receptive to a treat when learning, and he's able to focus inside.

Outside is another story. We have fenced in a portion of our yard to accommodate him as he cannot be trusted off leash yet. We've noticed that when we let him out, he is obsessed with running back and forth along the fence line, chasing vehicles as they go by. Obviously - this is a problem.

No matter how many cookies I have, or how many toys I bring out, or how many "come" commands I give, he completely ignores me and chases the cars.

Now usually, I'm not an advocate of eCollar training right off the bat. I think conditioning a dog to the collar is wise, introducing the "tone" feature with commands, and then moving forward as they progress with mild to severe correction once they've learned their commands. But with car chasing, I almost feel like I should be more severe, as it's CRITICAL that he stops viewing cars as a source of entertainment.

Thoughts? Should we strap on the eCollar and hit him hard when he chases vehicles?
I want to put a stop to it as soon as possible.
Opinions or insight are welcome!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Training pup to stop chasing cars

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:59 pm

I am not to sure from what you posted he might be chasing cars to get the treat you are using. Too often, treats are tried as a deterrence but in the dogs mind you are treating it for the behavior you don't like.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Taylor_B wrote:Hello
My husband and I adopted a 7 month old english setter from a local shelter.
We currently have a lab/weim mix (1.5 years old) that we hunt upland birds with, and her obedience is great. We honestly never had a problem teaching her commands - but then again, we had her from 8 weeks old and on.
This new guy - not so much. The folks who surrendered him did so because they were an older couple who thought he was too "high energy" for their lifestyle.
This leads me to believe he had minimal obedience training as I'm assuming when they couldn't keep up, they gave up.
His pedigree appears to be pretty good based on his AKC papers and the research I've done on the breeder (Waymaker English Setters in Indiana), and I know he's got potential to both hunt, and be the sweetest companion.
He's been with us for a week now, and we've basically started from scratch with him...teaching basic obedience and working on a few commands. In the house, he does well. He's very receptive to a treat when learning, and he's able to focus inside.

Outside is another story. We have fenced in a portion of our yard to accommodate him as he cannot be trusted off leash yet. We've noticed that when we let him out, he is obsessed with running back and forth along the fence line, chasing vehicles as they go by. Obviously - this is a problem.

No matter how many cookies I have, or how many toys I bring out, or how many "come" commands I give, he completely ignores me and chases the cars.

Now usually, I'm not an advocate of eCollar training right off the bat. I think conditioning a dog to the collar is wise, introducing the "tone" feature with commands, and then moving forward as they progress with mild to severe correction once they've learned their commands. But with car chasing, I almost feel like I should be more severe, as it's CRITICAL that he stops viewing cars as a source of entertainment.

Thoughts? Should we strap on the eCollar and hit him hard when he chases vehicles?
I want to put a stop to it as soon as possible.
Opinions or insight are welcome!
Can I have your permission to forward this post to a colleague of mine who is an expert in positive training solutions and on a daily basis deals with similar?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Try the soft approach first. Have you or friends drive slowly by in a car. When he chases after them have them pelt him in the face with a water balloon filled with detergent and water so it burns his eyes. Usually works. He's just having fun.

Obviously, you haven't really disciplined him yet. Next step for me would be to command NO and it he didn't comply to "talk to him" about it.

Next would be a forced HERE or De-bolt.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:54 pm

Can you put a check cord on him, let him out, and when he starts a chase, give him a tug and a "NO!"? it sounds like he doesn't understand that he's not supposed to chase. He doesn't get the purpose of the distractions.

Good luck, shouldn't be a difficult fix.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:29 pm

How far away is the fence line?

You may have to shorten up the distance with a temporary fence to get better control so you can correct quickly when the offense occurs.

Grant

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:28 am

I tend to agree with set-up situation type training. If you set it up thoughtfully and carefully, you will very often get exactly the response you are looking for and few surprises.

I would absolutely try the slow moving car thing. You might consider borrowing a paintball gun from someone.

Getting shot with a paintball in the butt or flank won't hurt the dog, but it WILL sting and take any fun out of the equation. A couple more in the butt will probably send it your way, on the double.

If you do decide to do this kind of aversion training, I would be "handy" but not right there, "paying attention". This way, when the dog comes arunnin' to you for comfort. I would make a big deal, be overly solicitous vocally, and cuddle the dog to drive home the fact that cars are big, bad, mean things to be avoided.

That kind of response by you will serve double duty. You will reinforce the negative aspect of cars and you will also reinforce the fact that you are the dog's best friend, protector and savior.

RayG

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:07 am

shags wrote:Can you put a check cord on him, let him out, and when he starts a chase, give him a tug and a "NO!"? it sounds like he doesn't understand that he's not supposed to chase. He doesn't get the purpose of the distractions.

We could definitely do this. I like this idea a lot better than some of the other similar topics in the forum suggesting a hard shock. I don't want to have him fear the collar, as he'll be wearing it eventually when we hunt with him.
Thanks!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:08 pm

I'd say you've been given some good advice here and I think you will fairly quickly overcome this problem. If it was me, I'd go full steam ahead with the obedience style training for outdoors work . If the dog wants to chase cars it is pretty certain to want to chase anything it finds in the fields and woods.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:59 pm

Taylor_B wrote:
shags wrote:Can you put a check cord on him, let him out, and when he starts a chase, give him a tug and a "NO!"? it sounds like he doesn't understand that he's not supposed to chase. He doesn't get the purpose of the distractions.

We could definitely do this. I like this idea a lot better than some of the other similar topics in the forum suggesting a hard shock. I don't want to have him fear the collar, as he'll be wearing it eventually when we hunt with him.
Thanks!
Just for your info a hard shock will not make him fear the collar. Many many people use it to snake proof and deer proof their dogs every year. IT WORKS and works well as long as you don't let on you had anything to do with it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:30 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Taylor_B wrote:

Thanks!
Just for your info a hard shock will not make him fear the collar. Many many people use it to snake proof and deer proof their dogs every year. IT WORKS and works well as long as you don't let on you had anything to do with it.

Ezzy
Ezzy is correct about this. If your dog doesn't respond to "soft" methods, trashbreaking is an option ( maybe your only one).
Every one of my dogs has been trashbroke ( deer) and believe me, the collar turned them inside out and upside down. But all they have to hear is the buckle jingling a little bit, and they come running and happy-footing to have their collars buckled on.

If it comes to it, don't be afraid of trashbreaking off cars; plenty folks on here can give you advice. Done properly, no lingering bad effects on the dog. Better one big zap than to scrape your dog off the road.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:38 pm

Trashbreak now! Don't mess around.

Then work on recall.

My dogs are never off lead out of a fenced yard except to hunt, so it is always hard for me to put myself in your place.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:48 am

The above advice is good for the trashbreaking. The recall, though, is something you MUST get 100%. Saying that "no matter how many times you say come" he doesn't respond. Nope. One time. You give the command ONCE and you enforce it. With all the treating and sweet talking - and multiple commands that he ignores, you're just teaching him not to comply. Maybe use an all new word since obviously, he thinks "come" means ignore the command until the 5th or 6th time he says it and then grudgingly come to the person. Don't EVER give a command unless you can enforce it. That means the dog is always on the checkcord or has his e-collar on (after you've trained him completely to understand the command without the collar). A solid recall on it's own should help with this issue - but trashbreaking would be best for the car chasing.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Thank you for your pm Taylor , I have forwarded your situation/issue.

Taylor_B

Post by Taylor_B » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:22 pm

RoostersMom wrote:The above advice is good for the trashbreaking. The recall, though, is something you MUST get 100%. Saying that "no matter how many times you say come" he doesn't respond. Nope. One time. You give the command ONCE and you enforce it. With all the treating and sweet talking - and multiple commands that he ignores, you're just teaching him not to comply. Maybe use an all new word since obviously, he thinks "come" means ignore the command until the 5th or 6th time he says it and then grudgingly come to the person. Don't EVER give a command unless you can enforce it. That means the dog is always on the checkcord or has his e-collar on (after you've trained him completely to understand the command without the collar). A solid recall on it's own should help with this issue - but trashbreaking would be best for the car chasing.
That's what we're starting to think too ... sadly, softer methods aren't very helpful, so I think the best thing to do is give him a good shock.
As someone else had said, I'd rather shock him hard with the collar, than scrape him off the road some day!
I appreciate the information! Thank you!