Pointing remote bird launchers

eajusc

Pointing remote bird launchers

Post by eajusc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:36 am

I got my English Pointer as a rescue when he was about 1. He's 3 now and due to living conditions has only recently been given his first introduction to birds. I'm pretty pleased with the way he's turning out and, just to give the full picture, I intend on hunting over him and entering him in AKC Hunt Tests.

The club I've joined has remote launchers and I've just started using them with pigeons (I had been using tip up launchers for his initial intro to birds). He will point from a pretty good distance and let me walk in and flush. So far so good. However, once I launch the bird, he'll chase the bird for maybe 4 or 5 feet before coming back and pointing the launcher.

I'm sure the launcher smells very birdy which interests him, but when he gets right on top, after the bird has been launched, I'm sure there's some sight pointing involved there. Plus, he's rock solid on the launcher and isn't very interested in leaving it. I don't want to pull him away and give him the wrong idea about bird scent.

I'm not sure that it's necessarily a problem yet, though I could see it turning into an issue. One solution I talked through with a guy at the club was, once he gets on the launcher after the bird has left, just leave him, eventually he'll figure out there's no bird there and want to carry on hunting.

Has anyone ever experienced this/have any ideas on a way to fix this? Thanks in advance for any advice!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Pointing remote bird launchers

Post by shags » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:11 pm

The guy is correct, it's not a big deal. Do you have several loaded launchers set out? The dog points, bird goes, dog chases a little, goes back to point launcher. You say "OK let's go" and move on the another launcher. Rinse and repeat.

it won't be forever that you'll be using the launchers anyway, so really, the problem will go away when the launchers go.

I would caution you, though, given your dog's propensity for going back, to be careful not to reuse pointed/flushed birds. I mean, once they're flushed, don't go back to them right away for another point. In your hunt tests, repointing a bird just flushed can be considered delayed chase. That would be bad in upper levels, and won't help you out in junior.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:14 pm

Even though he's 3, he's just had his first intro to birds like a pup. Once he gives the chase , just walk on. Ignor him if he goes back to the launcher. He'll learn.(You'll get other opinions on not allowing any chase at all, which will also be valuable for you .)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:58 pm

You can... if the dog has the command in is repertoire, use a "Heel" command to heel the dog away from the launcher, walk it away and send it on.

You may want to introduce this type of training at some point, since you mentioned hunt tests. Dogs are generally taken by the collar after a find and led away from the area of the find. The previous poster is correct when they advise that competitive dogs will get marked down for going back to the site of the previous find.

Most competitors lead their dogs away and attempt to re-focus their attention on the course ahead, so they go forward in search of new game and do not go back on their game. The heel command, judiciously applied, can help to get the dog's mind off its previous find and on to the next one.

As I understand it, until about fifteen years ago, handlers in some AKC field trials, were required to heel their dogs away from a find without having a hand on their collar.

RayG

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:16 pm

I don't have any new advice because the above posts (and posters) are spot on.

I just want to say it sounds like you have a nice dog with a lot of point. Pictures would be welcome!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:37 am

The dog may have learned to point the scent of the launcher instead of the bird. Go out and do everything as you normally do, just don't put a bird in the launcher, set an empty launcher in the field. Run the dog past this, there is a good chance he will point it. Just keep going and call to him until he comes on with you. Keep him guessing.

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:47 am

I agree with everything suggested to a point. But if it were my dog I would not bother with trying to fix this at this time. I would steady him up and make him stand through the flush and shot, this problem is going to help you here. Once he is standing through the sequence, walk up to him get your hands on him and tell him what a great dog he is and collar him or as Ray mentioned Heel him off. He will learn quickly that after the praise it is time to move on.

eajusc

Post by eajusc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:08 am

This is all great advice and gives me a lot to work with, thanks!

Ignoring him if he goes back to the launcher and working on heeling him out of there was the route that I was planning on going--I think these dogs are smarter than I give them credit for, I'm sure he'd figure out there was no bird in the launcher eventually. I hadn't considered steadying him to flush and shot yet, that was something I figured I'd take care of down the road. But, in my mind at least, it kind of makes sense to take care of it sooner rather than later so I'm not having to train chasing out of him at a later date!

And finally, as requested, here are a couple of pictures him. One of his first (steady-ish) points and him posing for Christmas.
IMG_2441.jpg
IMG_2428.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:38 pm

He's a beauty! :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:53 pm

Pointers are super smart (o.k., I'm biased) and will often learn to sight point launchers. You just want to ignore it and move the dog on. The bird isn't there, don't act like it is. Just like you wouldn't kick around and try to flush if the birds have left an area - you don't want to reward pointing "old" scent. You don't want to make it a negative, just ignore or call dog away from sight pointing and pointing areas with old scent.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:09 pm

Nice looking dog! It sounds like he's ready to point birds on the ground without the launcher. Get someone at the club to show you how to put them to sleep. I wouldn't dizzy them, to many fly off without being used if you don't dizzy them pretty hard. Next, get the marker flag out of there. I've had a number of dog's that key on those flags. Move the flag well away from and up wind of the bird. Pay attention to where you put it and key off of it to know where your bird is at. Dog's going to the flag get down wwind and don't find scent, quit looking to them.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

eajusc

Post by eajusc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:22 pm

I learned that about the marker flag real quick. That picture was taken the first time I had him on birds which were in tip over cages. The very next week when I had him on birds for only the second time he went straight for the flagging tape...I stopped using it after that. Clearly I'd underestimated his intelligence!