Guidance for training an Uncommon bird dog

Woodswoman

Guidance for training an Uncommon bird dog

Post by Woodswoman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:18 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum but I have been looking for a good place to get some advice on training a pup on retrieving/shed hunting etc. I recently was given a young pup he's now nearing five months and is a border collie/shepherd. He most certainly follows the border collie mindset though. I want to train him for bird hunting/retrieving and possibly shed hunting as well. I know this isn't a "retrieving" breed but he certainly has the focus and drive it seems. He has bumpers and a training decoy duck which he loves to get and return. I guess my question is, does anyone know of someone successfully training a border collie or non "retrieving" breed to do such a thing or am I simply thinking with my head in the clouds? Any guidance would be great, thank you!

displaced_texan

Re: Guidance for training an Uncommon bird dog

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:47 pm

Are you simply wanting to give your dog an outlet/job or to have a hunting buddy? If you're not expecting "world class" performance I don't see why that wouldn't be possible with the dog.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:27 am

Woodswoman wrote:Hello, I am new to this forum but I have been looking for a good place to get some advice on training a pup on retrieving/shed hunting etc. I recently was given a young pup he's now nearing five months and is a border collie/shepherd. He most certainly follows the border collie mindset though. I want to train him for bird hunting/retrieving and possibly shed hunting as well. I know this isn't a "retrieving" breed but he certainly has the focus and drive it seems. He has bumpers and a training decoy duck which he loves to get and return. I guess my question is, does anyone know of someone successfully training a border collie or non "retrieving" breed to do such a thing or am I simply thinking with my head in the clouds? Any guidance would be great, thank you!

Over the years I have trained many non sporting type dogs just for what you are thinking about doing. In fact I've been blamed or praised for making it possible for the Airedale Terrier to be included in the AKC Spaniel hunt test program.
Concentrate on the basics, 1. A reliable recall. 2 Some form of retrieve. The Retrieve is the lynch pin that will keep the dog in hunt. Without the retrieve you will struggle mightly! So that done whatever it takes. 3.And a no nonsense introduction to gunfire. You can not take take a dog hunting that does not except and understand gun fire.
If you get those 3 things down and your dog has any semblance of wanting to please you will a hunting companion.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:05 am

I trained a border collie as a gundog many years ago. He'd been a successful obedience competition dog for at least 3 years before I decided to also train him as a gundog. He already knew recalls, sits, retrieves etc. so the gundog work was very easy to train.
If you put in the work and the time with your dog you have a good chance of making it into a worthwhile gundog.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:20 am

I had a cattle dogXgerman shepherd that pointed and retrieved quail. He would have been an awesome shed dog too, but I never thought about that. He would bring you a beer from the fridge though - smart dog. They can do it if you work with them!

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:47 am

I have helped set up a training plan for a border collie mix owned by a friend. His aim was to have his family pet trained to be useful in the field as a flusher and retriever. He worked on basic obedience first, then exposure to field conditions, and exposure to birds. Once the dog was excited about birds and field search, he introduced the gun very carefully. You can search this forum for detailed ideas regarding gun introduction, but given the tendency to noise sensitivity in Border Collies, it needs to be approached with a deliberate plan.

You will likely end up with a dog who is a cheerful and helpful hunting companion, but he will never exhibit the keen drive seen in the hunting breeds. That said, my friend has had a lot of fun in the field with his dog, and they had a great fall season on pheasants. The dog is 4 years old now, likes his work, and hunts in a deliberate and thorough way.

Find a way to get access to some training pigeons. Homers will be the most useful at first, because you will not be shooting. If possible, set up a small loft or use nearby birds owned by someone else. When you are ready to start bird work,search this forum for info on introduction to birds, and how to dizzy pigeons for training. You can do a lot with 5-10 birds. Keep in touch, and remember to have fun with your dog.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:52 am

There's a guy on ultimatepheasanthunting forum that has the user name "Mutthunt." He has a shepherd mix he hunts pheasants with. You can definitely do it; follow the advice given so far. And I'd add that you should systematically introduce birds to build drive get him used to picking up birds.

One thing... Were you referring to a duck decoy or a Dokken style retrieving dummy? If you plan to duck hunt over a decoy spread you should stop using a decoy as a retrieving dummy. You may get your whole spread back before he bird gets picked up :mrgreen:
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:54 am

Introduction to the Gun is what I would be the most concerned about. Almost all of the Cattle Dogs that I have been around are excited about hunting until they see a gun :D

Woodswoman

Post by Woodswoman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:24 am

Wow! I wasn't expecting responses so quick so first of all thank you all, the information is really helpful! So in response to "displaced_texan" I'm not looking for "world class" but yes I'm looking for an outlet for my pup but I am also very seriously looking to make a hunting buddy out of him.

Gundogguy- I think it's neat that you were able to get the Airedale Terrier added to that program, It's nice to know that it's not out of the realm of things for a "non-sporting" dog to step into the same level as them. Recall is certainly being worked on currently and retrieve as well, to the most of my current ability anyway. As for gunfire he was around it a little at about 10wks old as I happen to have him while I was sighting in a rifle, and I got not so much as a flinch out of him he seemed to just not care. But that being said he's now almost 5 months and hasn't really been directly around it since then. So that is something I will keep in mind as well.

Trekmoor- I appreciate hearing about the collie you trained into a gundog, it's again nice to know that it is certainly not a dead end and that there is definitely hope for doing something like this :)

RoostersMom- That's awesome about your dog pointing and retrieving quail! Also nice to hear that you would've considered it being a shed dog had you thought of it at the time, and who wouldn't appreciate a dog that'll get you a beer from the fridge? :p

Marysburg- The plan seems pretty straight forward for training that dog, makes me feel like I'm not so far off from where I should be in the line of training basics. I also understand the gunfire comment as well, which I responded back to gundogguy about so thank you. As for homing pigeons it seems like a great plan, I have no idea where to go or start with that at the moment but I'll look into it, thank you so much!

mnaj_springer- I will certainly look into the guy on the ultimatepheasanthunting forum, seems interesting to check out. I don't plan on hunting over a water spread however I do do some field hunting for geese and ducks at the same time, obviously over a decoy spread. And yes I am using the dokken decoy duck as well as regular bumpers for just basic retrieving so that's something that concerns me a bit now that you mention it, I hadn't really thought of that.

hettmor- Again I will certainly look into the gunfire introduction more, since several people have brought it up now, but still always great information to have so thank you!

Everyone's responses were greatly appreciated. I currently only do a small amount of goose and duck hunting primarily in a field which is why I'd like to have the retrieving to start. The two things he'd primarily be doing to partridge hunting and shed hunting is what I'd like, I have no real intentions of making him retrieve from water but it would be nice perhaps for jump shooting but that'd be all. Knowing this, is there a specific order I should go about I mean obviously introduction to birds and retrieving seem to be key along with gunfire. Should I be focusing on something else as well for the shed hunting or is that too much at the moment. The current concern is that we are basically in the middle of our winter and there is only so much I believe I can do with him in the current conditions. I just don't want to wait to long on the weather, since I prefer to teach him as young as possible. Also deer are already dropping antlers and will be moreso soon so I'm just curious is all. Again thank you :D