TRAINING FOR DOVE RETRIEVING AND QUAIL POINTING

ragweed

TRAINING FOR DOVE RETRIEVING AND QUAIL POINTING

Post by ragweed » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Just wondering if I would be expecting to much of a gsp if I were to try and use them for dove retrieving and also quail hunting. any pointers for any order to begin with. thanks for any tips

Ouzel

Re: TRAINING FOR DOVE RETRIEVING AND QUAIL POINTING

Post by Ouzel » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:03 am

I wouldn't hesitate to do so, and doubt the order makes any difference. As far as tips are concerned I imagine you'd want your dog to have some training for basic pointing and retrieving skills. But, if it doesn't, I would say that just hunting the dog as much as possible would be excellent training.

mrgordonscott

Post by mrgordonscott » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:59 pm

In order to do this you should actually take your dog through basic pointing training and then go to the retriever training. I have only seen one dog truly good at both. See here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg7Y54Ms5iI

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:11 pm

If you did your research before purchasing your pup you should be fine. Just temper your expectations at first. Follow a regular pointing dog program and mix in a lot of marking drills.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:50 am

I'd hold off on the doves until the dog is retrieving other birds with enthusiasm. Doves have such loose, fine feathers. It can turn a Young dog off to retrieving.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:45 am

I don't know about Alabama, but in Texas it is generally too warm in dove season to utilize a dog in retrieving. There is a late season where it might be possible. How you hunt is another factor to consider. If you hunt more or less alone or separate yourself from other members of a hunting party by a significant distance, it would be better for the dog. Having several hunters in close proximity banging away at the same time with multiple birds falling out of the same flight is not a great situation for training or trained maintenance.