Spaniel Trainers in Charkeston?

Jrg303

Post by Jrg303 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Are there any spaniel trainers in the Charleston, SC area? Everyone I know has retrievers or an occasional pointer, but I can't find anyone with a spaniel to train with.

Justin

gundogguy

Re: Spaniel Trainers in Charkeston?

Post by gundogguy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:20 am

Michael Wallace Salmy's Kennel West Virginia. https://www.facebook.com/michael.wallace.9849
He is on the spring circuit currently in Penn.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:31 am

Jrg303 wrote:Are there any spaniel trainers in the Charleston, SC area? Everyone I know has retrievers or an occasional pointer, but I can't find anyone with a spaniel to train with.
Justin, if your spaniel were a Boykin, you'd have a retriever too - a retrieving spaniel for which there are numerous trainers in S. Carolina. Otherwise, you ain't exactly in luck - I'm five or six states north of you but still nearer the gent gundogguy recommended than you are. You might ring the Boykin Spaniel Society and see if they can give any referral for local flushing game pros (for spaniel FTs or hunt tests).

Good luck, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to come back and give your breed and your expectations for training it. Who knows, maybe you'll choose to "hie on" ( :arrow: ) up to Michigan and work with gundogguy himself.

MG

Jrg303

Post by Jrg303 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:54 am

Thanks for the feedback MG. I have a 4 year old English Springer Spaniel. She's a serviceable hunting dog, but I have struggled to steady her to flush. I am pretty sure it's because she doesn't understand what I want. She will sit on a whistle if she's near me, but once she gets some distance between us, I might as well be whistling Dixie. All she seems to think about is the bird.

Jrg303

Post by Jrg303 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:56 am

Thanks also for the feedback Gundogguy, but I am in SC. West Virginia is pretty good haul for me.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:34 pm

crackerd wrote:
Jrg303 wrote:Are there any spaniel trainers in the Charleston, SC area? Everyone I know has retrievers or an occasional pointer, but I can't find anyone with a spaniel to train with.
Justin, if your spaniel were a Boykin, you'd have a retriever too - a retrieving spaniel for which there are numerous trainers in S. Carolina. Otherwise, you ain't exactly in luck - I'm five or six states north of you but still nearer the gent gundogguy recommended than you are. You might ring the Boykin Spaniel Society and see if they can give any referral for local flushing game pros (for spaniel FTs or hunt tests).

Good luck, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to come back and give your breed and your expectations for training it. Who knows, maybe you'll choose to "hie on" ( :arrow: ) up to Michigan and work with gundogguy himself.

MG
As I recall Mike Wallace had a hand in organizing the 1st Cocker Spaniel Field Trial in SC not to long ago I am sure Mike has S Carolinian clients as well
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:54 am

I believe Maurice Lindley @ Lindley Kennels in Piedmont, SC offers training for spaniels as well. He does a great job!
His email is:
southerngundog@aol.com