trainer for the casual hunter

RockyDD

trainer for the casual hunter

Post by RockyDD » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:25 am

My impression of trainers that take a dog for 4-6 weeks to train is that they are mainly focused on developing the dog for field trialing. But what if you only want your dog for hunting preserves on the weekend. Are there any trainers that specialize in training a dog for the casual hunter.

This trainer might spend more time on general obedience, socialization, cooperation while hunting, tracking, retrieving and pointing. Style, expanded range, steady after the shot and backing might be de-emphasized.

Do trainers that specialize in the casual bird hunter with a house dog and kids exist?

marsh

Re: trainer for the casual hunter

Post by marsh » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:50 am

I think a good trainer will ask you want you want out of a pup and try to accommodate. But the development of the dog is a process- building blocks. IMO general OB and socialization is started when the pup is young and progresses or transitions to cooperation in the field. The tracking, retrieving is developed based on exposure and building on the blocks from the previous (recall and focusing on tasks given to the pup). I see pointing as more of an instinct that needs to be refined- making sure that the pup knows if he points and holds he gets the bird and if not- the bird flies off. Sounds like you want more of a started dog and not a finished dog to hunt over that will gain experience as it goes along.. Maybe I am reading your question wrong but just my two cents.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:57 am

I'm going to say yes, there is!
About all the trainers can and will train the dog to perform as you want if you tell them what you want! (Be Specific)
With that being said, I think they will all do the obedience, some socialization, evaluation retrieving, and pointing and probably steady to shot; and try to keep the style the dog naturally has.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 am

RockyDD wrote:My impression of trainers that take a dog for 4-6 weeks to train is that they are mainly focused on developing the dog for field trialing. But what if you only want your dog for hunting preserves on the weekend. Are there any trainers that specialize in training a dog for the casual hunter.

This trainer might spend more time on general obedience, socialization, cooperation while hunting, tracking, retrieving and pointing. Style, expanded range, steady after the shot and backing might be de-emphasized.

Do trainers that specialize in the casual bird hunter with a house dog and kids exist?
If areas listed are what your interest are maybe 16 20 weeks maybe needed. Teaching the owner was always more of a challenge than developing a nice shooting companion. That being a non field trial type dog. Lord, knows i have had to down train a few very talented dogs?
I conducted group handler classes for over 25 yrs classes for the owner and dog. For me that seemed to be the best to help folks learn how to handle thier dogs chi
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:17 am

RockyDD wrote:My impression of trainers that take a dog for 4-6 weeks to train is that they are mainly focused on developing the dog for field trialing. But what if you only want your dog for hunting preserves on the weekend. Are there any trainers that specialize in training a dog for the casual hunter.

Actually my impression of trainers that take a dog for 4-6 weeks is not a very good one in general...because unless you have something very specific in mind for the trainer to accomplish,4-6 weeks is generally not enough time to get it accomplished.

Several shooting dog field trial pros that I know, do indeed take dogs for training as hunting companions. They do this typically in the summer months, when they are developing dogs for the upcoming season. The dogs are typically with them for approximately three months. The training they receive depends first on the requirements of the owner and the age and level of training the dog already possesses. From what I gather, there are many satisfied and repeat customers.

As has been mentioned previously, it is a process and the steps are pretty much the same for all dogs until you get to the stage where they are being allowed to run in front of a horse or 4 wheeler.

As with any service, the more you "show up" to see what is going on and the progress your dog is making, the more likely it is you will learn how maintain that training and the more motivated the trainer will be to keep progressing with your dog.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:18 pm

"It is a process and the steps are pretty much the same for all dogs until you get to the stage where they are being allowed to run in front of a horse or 4 wheeler. " quote Ray

That was my initial thought on this thread. Whether you are a weekender or a big trialer the initial training is the same and essential.

edits : trialer not trailer :) training not trainer
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Other than a puppy intro, who is taking dogs for only 4 to 6 weeks?

My field trial dogs get worked every day, other than travel days, and probably get a minimum of 120 days on wild birds between summer and winter camp, and hunting season.

What you're describing is versatile dog training and, depending on the desired level, it takes 4 to 7 months for a well started dog to 18 months for a finished dog.

For example, taking a drahthaar to a finished dog, from puppy through the vgp, is about 3 months for the vjp, 4 months for the hzp, and 11 months for the hzp. Most guys charge ~$700 per month, not including game, for the 1st 7 months and ~$1000 per month, not including game, for the last 11 months.

A pointing dog field trial pro is ~$500 per month not including travel or entry fees.

A retrieving dog field trial pro is ~$700 per month not including travel, entry fees, or a handling fee.

Standard gundog pointer train is ~$650 per month nto inluding birds.

Standard gundog retriever train in is $800 per month not including birds.

You can find cheaper and more expensive. One of our local pros has a pretty good program. A 6 week puppy session and the you send the dog back in 6 months for be finished. No matter how many months training it takes to finish, the grand total for his program is like $2700.

BtheBrit

Post by BtheBrit » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:22 pm

To answer your question; Yes, these trainers exist.

I am new to training pointers but what I have heard is, without birds, you don't have a bird dog, and that is the big reason I will be sending my dog to a trainer this summer.

My Britt will be a little over a year old this coming July which is when I will be sending her off to North Dakota with a trainer for 5 weeks. Like you, I am a casual pheasant/grouse hunter with the hope to run her in a couple hunt tests. The trainer I decided to go with was very straight forward with me about what he could/could NOT accomplish within the 5 week period. He didn't promise me anything he knew he was not able to deliver, and emphasized that "All dogs learn at a different pace and have had different levels of training by the time I receive them." I was asked to provide him with a Pros and Cons list of her current skills and what I plan on doing with her for the next ten years so he can tailor his training program towards my wants and needs. The one thing he was able to promise was a TON of wild bird exposure and he will work towards checking off things I want him to focus on.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:31 pm

A trainer that takes a dog for 4-6 weeks is going to accomplish next to nothing. They need 4-6 months.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:50 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:A trainer that takes a dog for 4-6 weeks is going to accomplish next to nothing. They need 4-6 months.
Not True !!
They will accomplish what the dog is capable of depending on what base it started with :wink:
The owner will have achieved nothing in this same period however .
4-6 months will be the same as 4-6 years ,the dog may well learn , but I reckon I could wreck a ftch in 2 weeks if I had a mindset to ? ..lol

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:44 am

It takes as long as it takes. You cant set a time on the work. You don't have a clue with the animal, how long its gonna be before, you can build the trust, and team work......between the dog and yourself. All you can really do, is work what you got, be fair, and patient. The rest will build. A dog will always read the eyes, voice, and touch. You have to learn to look at it right, touch it right, and speak to it......the way it understands. The rest will follow. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:24 am

With further thinking I only had one system of training, not a different system for the competition dog another for the casual hunting companion, I always found that the dog told me he/she wanted to be a performance dog or a hunting companion. Through the training process the real talent level of the dog was always exposed. Training is the only way I know how to find the true dog and it's ultimate abilities. Train'em so they can be all they can be!
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:35 am

The systems, should be taught, for any dog, at any level. Good hands, will allow the space, and help, the method fit the dog, not make the dog, fit the method. That is a big sentence. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com