Need some new puppy advice from 8 weeks-4months

DPC874

Post by DPC874 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:45 pm

Hey guys new member here the names Patrick. I'll attach another picture of my pup beau below. He is 8 weeks. I pick him up this Saturday and I have a lot of information about myself and the yellow lab in the new members section. This is my first puppy ever to raise and train. He will hopefully be a reliable waterfowl dog. But my question is what do I need to focus on training him to do until he reaches 4-5 months. At that point he is being sent to a professional upland and waterfowl trainer as well as obedience. I'm really lost on what I should do time line wise. My plan is to keep him In a box at night with pee pads in the bottom along with towels right next to my bed bc I am a deep sleeper so I want to be close in case I he needs to go outside. It least for the first week. I plan to gradually introduce him to the kennel each day and get him used to it so in about a week he can start sleeping in it once he realizes it's his safe place. I plan to potty train it from day one as well. I bought him a collar leash, check cord , no toys other than a few KoNG's and a 3 bumpers. I'm going to also try and get him used to his name. Socialization will also be another big part of my plan. I'm going to introduce sit command as well as kennel, down, stop, and maybe a few more. I want him to enjoy the puppy faze and have fun but I also don't want to bring him to the trainer looking like a dumb@ss. So please if you would I'm open to any advice tips or time lines that I can use. Even non related subjects would be greatly appreciated as I have no previous knowledge of training a dog other than house pets but even that was years ago. Thanks for the help. Also he is on diamond dog food (puppy) the breeder uses it so I'm keeping him on that for awhile until I figure something else out. The picture was taken two days ago his foot is green bc I marked it the day I chose him from the litter to be able to tell which one he was in the litter. Just mentioning that invade someone brings it up.-Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

randomnut

Re: Need some new puppy advice from 8 weeks-4months

Post by randomnut » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:40 am

Good looking pup! Professional training at 4 or 5 months? I think you could ease up on the pup till after hunting season. Are you looking for a fully trained dog this season? I didn't do anything with mine other than very basic obedience, and he pointed quail, pushed a few rabbits, and retrieved ducks his first season, and learned most all of that on his own. He's 14 months now, and I'm just starting training.

AbsintheGD

Post by AbsintheGD » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:42 am

With your pup I'd stick to the basics and keep it fun. SHORT training sessions (and I mean short 1-2 min) where pup doesn't even know he is being trained. I took mine outside and everytime she sat by my side I'd mark the behavior with "yes" but not label it. Also DO NOT OVER TRAIN! We all want a fantastic bird dog but we also want a dog who is happy working and a lot of people play fetch with puppy so much that he gets bored. I'd take those 3 bumpers, close all my doors in my hallway, and toss the bumpers down, provided he wants to drive after them. Only do the 3, leave him wanting more. I would only pull out the bumpers 2-3 times a week as a reward. He will have enough to learn when it comes to housebreaking, obedience, and socialization. My main point is keep it simple and fun and your pup will be just fine.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:56 pm

WElcome to the forum.

You've done your research.:) I'd do a few things differently.
No pee pads. Use an inside crate.Get up every couple hours and take pup out. Not too long before pup will sleep through the night.
I'd start crate training immediately. He'll cry for a few days then all will be almost peace.

Any thing that needs to be done at 4-5 months you can do. Suggest "Smart Work for Retrievers- Puppy" Evan Graham , to start with .

That's a beautiful pup.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/smartwork-p ... m-dvd.html
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DPC874

Post by DPC874 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Really appreciate the feedback. I'd like him to be trained this season but I care way more about the dogs happiness so I'd be perfectly fine with waiting another year to take him hunting. I want his training to be fun like ABSINTHE said. I want the pup always wanting more. RANDOMNUT, thanks I agree he's going to turn some girls heads. I though he was good looking as well. But the only reason I said 5 months is because most of the trainers in the south start their obedience programs at 5 months that lead to waterfowl/upland training. I may reconsider and give him more time I will just see where he's at. SHARON thanks for suggesting Smart Works I've heard excellent things about it. I had probably even seen you or someone else highly recommend that program. Also Robert Milner is another one that comes to mind when I think back about all the hours spent reading this forum from afar. The pee pads are just there for accident I will be taking the pup out very very often. Il take your advice on crate training but I think it best if he stays in a box at bed level the. First few night so I can hear through deep sleep. Thanks to all of you !

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:29 pm

Work on basic manners around the house and give him lots of experiences with new people, new dogs, and new environments. Also, don't buy pee pads. That's a bad habit just waiting to take root. Other than that, just play and have fun having a new puppy. No need to do anything else.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

DPC874

Post by DPC874 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:53 pm

Thanks guys I really appreciate the advice ! RandomNut that's awesome news about your dog he sounds like a natural! And your right my goal will be to use this duck season as a training session. I won't rush it!

AbsintheGD a lot of people have recommended I keep training light to just a couple mins and most importantly make it fun and him always wanting more. Thanks for the sound advice. No over training!

Sharon the pee pads will just be underneath his box for the first few nights until I have him in his crate should be about a week maybe less. I'm really glad you brought up the Evan Graham series. I saw it first came out n this forum and forgot to write it down. Smart work for retrievers puppy has great reviews on here so thanks for mentioning that. Thanks for the compliments on the pup I think he's a head turner for sure.-Pat

DPC874

Post by DPC874 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:57 pm

Also thanks CDN Cocker I agree pee pads would just put me back I'm just using them in his box for the first few nights do if he has an accident it doesn't leak into the carpet. The pee pad will not be visible to him. And socialization is a big important first step your right. But most importantly I need and the pup needs to have fun and enjoy ourselves and stop overthinking this. Thanks

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:22 am

DPC874 wrote:Also thanks CDN Cocker I agree pee pads would just put me back I'm just using them in his box for the first few nights do if he has an accident it doesn't leak into the carpet. The pee pad will not be visible to him. And socialization is a big important first step your right. But most importantly I need and the pup needs to have fun and enjoy ourselves and stop overthinking this. Thanks
Not possible to "stop overthinking" when it's your first puppy. :) Enjoy.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:17 pm

Every minute you are with your dog you are training it ,whether or not you have intention to do so. Especially in the first few months. :wink:

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:49 am

DPC874 wrote:Really appreciate the feedback. I'd like him to be trained this season but I care way more about the dogs happiness so I'd be perfectly fine with waiting another year to take him hunting. I want his training to be fun like ABSINTHE said. I want the pup always wanting more. RANDOMNUT, thanks I agree he's going to turn some girls heads. I though he was good looking as well. But the only reason I said 5 months is because most of the trainers in the south start their obedience programs at 5 months that lead to waterfowl/upland training. I may reconsider and give him more time I will just see where he's at. SHARON thanks for suggesting Smart Works I've heard excellent things about it. I had probably even seen you or someone else highly recommend that program. Also Robert Milner is another one that comes to mind when I think back about all the hours spent reading this forum from afar. The pee pads are just there for accident I will be taking the pup out very very often. Il take your advice on crate training but I think it best if he stays in a box at bed level the. First few night so I can hear through deep sleep.
Patrick, congratulations on a new Lab pup and first and foremost on surviving your ordeal. You'll get (and have gotten) good housetraining info from this board, but you won't get much by way of actual retriever training - except for Robert's (not Robert Milner, but Robert "Polmaise") nugget that "Every minute you are with your dog you are training it ,whether or not you have intention to do so. Especially in the first few months. :wink: " The corollary to that is, "Either you're training the dog, or the dog's training you." All too easy to fall into the latter trap for a first-timer.

Might I suggest, as you're in Alabama, that you get through to one of the outstanding retriever clubs located there, particularly Black Warrior RC (a little info about it here: http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/2 ... /110309816 or Montgomery RC (contact info here: http://www.beasleyallen.com/attorney/mike-crow/). Next you'll want to go over to the RetrieverTraining.net forum, post your story about your new pup, and ask for guidance and advice from a Roll Tider par excellence, Mr. Dave Kress.

Good luck and get to it.

MG

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:07 am

Oh, yeah - and you want to get this book http://www.gundogsupply.com/bkk-0523.html this instant for the timeframe you're alluding to in your header - and also, the url for the retrievertraining.net forum to connect with trainers down your way is http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... ning-Forum.

Good luck,

MG