E collar and force fetching

gsarria

E collar and force fetching

Post by gsarria » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:15 pm

Hi everybody,

I have a 2 years old pudelpointer. I am working on force fetching at this moment. The ecollar I am using is a sportdog 1825. The challeng I have is that if I set the stimulation at level 2 it doesn't seem strong enough, but if I crank it up to 3 then it seems like it is too much because he start vocalizing very loudly. Another issue that I have noticed is that it seems that stimulation seems to lose intensity after a few hours of use. Have any of had the same issues with this collar?
Thank you for your feedback

CDN_Cocker

Re: E collar and force fetching

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Two questions -

Training:
Has the dog been force fetched without the collar yet?

Collar:
Sounds like your collar isn't much good. Sportdogs are known for being a very high quality collar. I would look something else, I prefer dogtra.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gsarria

Post by gsarria » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:03 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Two questions -

Training:
Has the dog been force fetched without the collar yet?

Collar:
Sounds like your collar isn't much good. Sportdogs are known for being a very high quality collar. I would look something else, I prefer dogtra.
Yes, he´s been forced fetched without the collar. I am trying to CC him now.
I have another question about this. How do I force him to pick up the bumper by the middle and not by one of the ends. Sometimes he would just grab the rope. I always correct him and put it in the proper way. But not sure if there is something else I can do to fix this. I am using the smart fetc method.
Regarding the Dogtra collars which one would you recommend?

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:07 pm

First question
Ear Pinch.
Second question
Hold.

gsarria

Post by gsarria » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:20 pm

Yes, ear pinch and and hold.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Not finished then .

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:28 pm

polmaise wrote:First question
Ear Pinch.
Second question
Hold.
P, I'm seeing a side of you I didn't know existed! :twisted:
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

gsarria

Post by gsarria » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:35 pm

polmaise wrote:Not finished then .
No at all. Far from finished

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:49 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:
polmaise wrote:First question
Ear Pinch.
Second question
Hold.
P, I'm seeing a side of you I didn't know existed! :twisted:
:)

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:24 pm

Very Good Robert!
Now for the matter at hand.
I am always amazed when the unknown ask folks tha are unknown
About a situation that many have never seen and actually expect a remedy to the problem.
If the OP could supply a video of what is actually taking place
Working with dog.Chances are solution could found in say less than fortnight. If a video is not possible then maybe youtube link
That is a close approximate of how you training session with dog should look like. As for the cigar grip the dog gain confidence an that straiten out later in his development.
Now OP go find a video.
Y
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

gsarria

Post by gsarria » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Let let me get that video for you. I'll get back soon. Thanks

RickB

Post by RickB » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:40 pm

The 1825 has a config setting which may help you. You can program the thing to half step. You have two buttons, yes? You can configure it so that the bottom button is a half step between two adjacent numbers.

As for losing juice...you also got a device in the box which indicates if the thing is delivering juice. You put it on the prongs and stimulate. the hotter the collar, the brighter the LED. You can use that to measure you zapping power after a few hours. Or just stimulate yourself. Also...is your battery (either controller or collar) indicating a low battery state?

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:55 am

The vid could help, and it might not. There is a lot of little steps, that could be missed by the handler. Giving the dog a little time, to cool its mind down, or getting it a little excited, because of the prior work, being to strong. Letting the dog walk around on the table, prior to starting things. Heck, prolly one of the biggest, just loving him up, when he does good.
It could be the collar, as owner speaks of........heck could a whole lot of little things, or one big major thing. Dog might be doing decent, and a 50% job, to us.........but feel like 100% to owner. Might not be fully ready for the collar part yet.
The breed is usually a strong natural retriever, if the finish is why the force fetch, you could have cleaned up the obedience, and not had to risk the rest. Might have the dog mad at the retrieve now, because of the un needed pressure. It would be interesting to see. Just some small thoughts. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

skunk

Post by skunk » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:58 am

Make sure the collar is tight enough. I notice this with my own dog sometimes... if he's got his head down on the ground, the contact points on the collar aren't touching his neck. If I tighten it up a bit, it magically works again :D

skunk

Post by skunk » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:01 am

Also, a retrieving buck (looks like a dumb-bell for weight lifting) could be helpful with the dog picking the object up in the middle.

I haven't used this much myself but I was also told you should practice with objects that are lopsided in weight. This will help the dog when picking up big stuff like a goose that isn't a consistent size/weight across the whole object.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:37 am

I don't understand what the O.P. is trying to achieve ? The wording of the O.P. was just a bit too hazy. An F.F. retrieve is made up of various bits of training that all come together as one in the finished product .......hopefully ! So what part of the F.F. process is not working and requiring the use of an e-collar to fix it ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:32 am

Trekmoor wrote:I don't understand what the O.P. is trying to achieve ? The wording of the O.P. was just a bit too hazy. An F.F. retrieve is made up of various bits of training that all come together as one in the finished product .......hopefully ! So what part of the F.F. process is not working and requiring the use of an e-collar to fix it ?

Bill T.
Exactly Bill, That why I asked for a video of what was happening during the sessions. These types of questions are very touchy feely there is no way they can be addressed unless the dog is being read as well. There is a place for the e-collar during the process of FF but I doubt we know where the OP is in the process.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:13 pm

gundogguy wrote:
Trekmoor wrote:I don't understand what the O.P. is trying to achieve ? The wording of the O.P. was just a bit too hazy. An F.F. retrieve is made up of various bits of training that all come together as one in the finished product .......hopefully ! So what part of the F.F. process is not working and requiring the use of an e-collar to fix it ?

Bill T.
Exactly Bill, That why I asked for a video of what was happening during the sessions. These types of questions are very touchy feely there is no way they can be addressed unless the dog is being read as well. There is a place for the e-collar during the process of FF but I doubt we know where the OP is in the process.
confused.com ! Where and when e-collar is used in the process of FF may be interpretated as a part of FF rather than a missing part of the cc ? ☺
Lol

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:46 am

One way of using the e collar to transfer the FF to the field. Possible this is what the OP is referring to. I can only guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjRNIf9yMEo

Or possible the OP is in this situation..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paKEj47Em54