Training in the dark

nj gsp

Training in the dark

Post by nj gsp » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:58 pm

Hi folks - I have maybe an odd question here.

I recently got myself a middle aged female GSP. Super dog, very birdy and very bright, but she needs yard work.

I've been starting her out working on "heel" using a power bar, and my new dog is a quick study.

It's been dark when I leave for work in the morning, and if I get held up at work it's dark when I get home. But I usually am able to get some yard work in before the sun goes down.

Should I have any concerns with working with the dog in the dark? Good idea or bad? I'd like to be working with the dog at least twice a day.

Thanks!

Donnerhund GWP

Post by Donnerhund GWP » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:16 pm

One of the guys in the local NAVHDA club has been said to train tracking in the dark to force the dog to use its nose.

As far as obedience goes, I don't see any reason not to train in the dark. You expect your dog to be obedient when your walking out to the duck blind in the predawn, don't you?
Men in Black -- Protecting Earth from the scum of the Universe
-------------------------------------------------------
Donnerhund!
Registered German Wirehaired Pointers

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:27 pm

I did a lot of training with my lab in the dark. Nearly all the FF and heel work because that's what I had. Our oldest GSP, Katie (my avatar), also had sit and early play fetch until 5 or 6 months mostly in the dark. The spouse was always working very very late and would mostly just play fetch with her and give her as much attention as possible after work. She learned to track down a bumper or ball absolutely anywhere. NEVER gives up. I have seen her climb a tree (very low heavily branched mind you). You can put her in a crate hide the dummy, then let her out and tell her "hunt it up" and she will circle the whole yard until she scents it and then scent it down, or up, depending. The lab too used to really sniff it out, though she is faltering on that now, 5 years later :oops: . I do think it helps them use their nose. Do what works. If that's when you have time, then better that than never. That's my opinion.
A month or so ago I was working on Whoa with my older GSP, Lacey, and often in the dark. Just when I have the time....

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:37 pm

No problem at all; it's harder on you than it is on the dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Dude

Post by Dude » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:50 am

I'm glad somebody else mentioned this. I was wondering the same thing myself. I've been training in the dark since its early when I leave for work and late when I get home, at least in the winter time.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Train whenever you can. Just remember that you need to be able to see the dog. Training heel shouldn't pose any problem with that.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:40 pm

Visibility is not a problem - the dog is mostly white. :) Also, I've found that using the power bar is an ideal way to stay in close contact with the dog.

I'm starting to think that maybe training on obedience might be better when done both day and night.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:25 am

It should be of no concern to work a dog in the dark. However, light is helpful. We have the same problem during winter up here in the frozen north. I went to Menard's some years ago and bought a halogen worklight, of the type that has two lamps and a telescoping stand. It stands about 5 feet tall and will illuminate quite a large area. Works good. You may need a good extension cord.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:43 am

Be careful of how you're using the light though. If you're using hand signals along with voice commands, the dog will need to be able to see you and not just your silhouette.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux