Building desire

webfoot1973

Building desire

Post by webfoot1973 » Thu May 26, 2016 6:45 pm

Alright, I have my second Griff who will be 11 months in a couple of weeks. I started FF about 3 weeks ago and he is moving along nicely. Holds, Ear pinch objects low to the ground and now started low stimulation ecollar. I think in the amount of time he is doing alright, but move him to the ground and threw a couple bumpers and he retrieves a couple of times and loses interest.
Back to the ear pinch to make him pick it up.

Is it a desire issue? Too young.... pushing too hard.

Ran him in his first NA test and he received a 93....Glad he prized but thought he would do better.

My older Griff is finished. Not sure if I am comparing too much...

Need some insight and help.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Building desire

Post by Sharon » Fri May 27, 2016 3:01 pm

Can't really say from here. Sounds like you have high expectations which isn't bad but may be too much , too soon , for that pup. You're experienced; you'll figure it out. Don't forget that is birds not bumpers that create desire.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Rik

Post by Rik » Fri May 27, 2016 4:08 pm

"Birds not Bumpers " should be a GunDog Tee Shirt

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri May 27, 2016 5:08 pm

Mine just go crazy for a tennis ball :)

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri May 27, 2016 9:34 pm

"Desire" has nothing to do with force fetching. It isnt Desire fetching. :lol:
Bumpers should be placed not thrown during Force Fetch.
Sounds to me like you havent instilled a sense of urgency with the dog. Maybe have taken the pressure off way to soon.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat May 28, 2016 8:00 am

You say after a few the dog loses interest.... sounds like at this stage in the dog's development you're giving him too many retrieves. If you give him one fun one and he goes out enthusiastically and brings it back, ready for the next one.... stop. Leave him wanting more. Lots of other fun things you can do to give him a break from FF that don't involve retrieves.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat May 28, 2016 12:43 pm

webfoot1973 wrote: My older Griff is finished. Not sure if I am comparing too much...

Need some insight and help.
Probably .
Ain't it funny how they are all different ? :wink:
Only when you have had more than a few. Insight and help would also come by way of 'Cast an eye on you both' .

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun May 29, 2016 4:15 am

Desire ? Who's desire are we discussing ? Yours or your dog's ? Your desire is to have the pup show more retrieve enthusiasm. The pup presumably had that desire before f.f. was started ? So......is the f.f. training causing a reduction of retrieve desire when "fun" retrieves are thrown for the pup ?

My knowledge of f.f. training is minimal as I don't train it but when I did train it with dogs destined for obedience arenas many years ago I noticed that the desire to do "natural" retrieves diminished for a while and then built up again when the dog "knew" what was expected of it during F.F. retrieves.

Personally, I think I'd stop tossing bumpers for the pup to retrieve "naturally" until it has completed it's f.f. training. At the stage the pup is at you risk "poisoning" the natural retrieve by training F.F. at the same time.

As I said earlier, my knowledge of F.F. is minimal so if I am wrong to advise as I have just done then I hope the more knowledgeable on this board will correct me. :D

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !