First time e-collar and very uncomfortable

Cerilli

First time e-collar and very uncomfortable

Post by Cerilli » Fri May 27, 2016 7:52 pm

So I have been training my Brittany without the use of an ecollar for 7 months (he's going on 9 months old). After much reading and research I decided I wanted to introduce an ecollar. I have read a thorough amount concerning introduction and how to use an ecollar. However I never ran into this:

At the most minimal setting on the garmin sport pro my Brittany doesn't do a simple ear flick or anything else, he yelps literally jumps in the air and is visibly scared. This is at the lowest setting. I began with a simple recall and he immediately began this kind of behavior. It was strange because he became extremely obedient after only a couple taps (literally started the session with 5 "taps" within 5 minutes and never touched it again)

I really feel bad, and don't know if I should continue with the ecollar because he is so sensitive/confused/scared by it.

nevermind

Re: First time e-collar and very uncomfortable

Post by nevermind » Sat May 28, 2016 9:54 am

I think your intro was excessive remember it's a introduction. Whatever your recall method is I would use the e-collar only one time on a low setting nick during a training session. I'm a softy with the use of a e-collar... I only use correction when my dog blows me off on recall command, if your going to use the e-collar for other training I would get with a professional trainer that has e-collar training expirience.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat May 28, 2016 11:56 am

I would put the e-collar on my arm on the lowest setting and see what the dog felt--if it is like most e-collars, you won't hardly feel it(which means your britt was startled by it and might be a drama queen :roll: :lol: ). If it zaps you hard when you try it on your arm at the lowest setting--then it might be defective.
Also make sure you have it tight on the dog, high on the neck towards the ears--if not it doesn't make constant contact with the dogs neck and will result in inconsistent shocks. Good luck with your dog.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 28, 2016 1:06 pm

X2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat May 28, 2016 2:52 pm

X3. A dog can barely feel a 1.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Sat May 28, 2016 4:02 pm

Cerilli wrote: However I never ran into this:

At the most minimal setting on the garmin sport pro my Brittany doesn't do a simple ear flick or anything else, he yelps literally jumps in the air and is visibly scared. This is at the lowest setting. I began with a simple recall and he immediately began this kind of behavior. It was strange because he became extremely obedient after only a couple taps (literally started the session with 5 "taps" within 5 minutes and never touched it again)

I really feel bad, and don't know if I should continue with the ecollar because he is so sensitive/confused/scared by it.
Whilst the 'learned' may give their experience on e-collar and the many or or the only one they have had or have now. I'm sure you 'Cerilli' are the first one to have the dog you have and the first one you are using e-collar on with that individual dog . :wink: ..and the experts haven't ? :roll:

Beginning with re-call ....? so why .5 taps or 1 tap unless the dog knows what ....'your'e communication' is ?. Hmmmm. So e-collar and them 'ear flick' suggestions are not working ?
Yes you need help,but with a guide who can read dogs and knows how e-collar conditioning is applied to all different dogs (Not different people) IMO . BUT , you will or may get the 'armchair expert' come at you with a good explanation that suits you're ..post.
..edited to say .'Scrub that' . Because you have a Brittany and they are different ,just like all the breeds .

Cerilli

Post by Cerilli » Tue May 31, 2016 9:21 am

So I over reacted...dog was surprised by the first use. He responds to the lowest setting and is phenomenal, I can't believe I didn't start this sooner. He rarely ever requires a Nick during training. I was worried that my self training was insufficient, I was completely wrong. At 9 months I have my Britt exactly where I want him, we have a very strong and trusting relationship due to all of the pre collar training. Thank you for all of your help. I have been kind of using my own method and the next step is the use of bird launchers, he's already bird crazy, just need to hone him

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue May 31, 2016 12:32 pm

sounds like you got it right keep up the good work

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 31, 2016 3:25 pm

Cerilli wrote:So I over reacted...dog was surprised by the first use. He responds to the lowest setting and is phenomenal, I can't believe I didn't start this sooner. He rarely ever requires a Nick during training. I was worried that my self training was insufficient, I was completely wrong. At 9 months I have my Britt exactly where I want him, we have a very strong and trusting relationship due to all of the pre collar training. Thank you for all of your help. I have been kind of using my own method and the next step is the use of bird launchers, he's already bird crazy, just need to hone him
Good for you.:) Suggest you start a new thread on the "effective use of a bird launcher". Why haven't you used a tried and true programme?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cerilli

Post by Cerilli » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:10 am

Pup is also a house pet so sadly house training has been the first priority. I found that these tried and true programs are great reads and provide great advice but don't provide a realistic approach for a suburban dog. Birds are tough to get and time is a scarce resource. So after taking everybody's advice: I've just been going extremely slow, building trust and communication and keeping him happy. Like I said, he's bird crazy... So I'm in no rush.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:45 pm

I also live in the city and can't have a bird house. I've found a way to train several bird dogs anyways though. I f you want some hints just PM me ; I don't want to write two paragraphs that you're not interested in. :)

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm

I too live in the city. If you want it, you'll find a way. Birds make bird dogs.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:42 pm

Sharon wrote: Why haven't you used a tried and true programme?
He has :lol:
Cerilli wrote: I have been kind of using my own method and the next step is the use of bird launchers, he's already bird crazy, just need to hone him
The birds should do the rest ? :roll:

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:51 pm

polmaise wrote:
Sharon wrote: Why haven't you used a tried and true programme?
He has :lol:
Cerilli wrote: I have been kind of using my own method and the next step is the use of bird launchers, he's already bird crazy, just need to hone him
The birds should do the rest ? :roll:
Kind of my own method isn't a tried and true program.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Spotshooter

Post by Spotshooter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Ok I have a 10 month old Brittany and just broke him in on the collar.

First - Collars have changed from "zappers" to "simulators"

If you put one on your forearm on it's lowest setting it's going to make your muscles spasum but it doesn't hurt... It just feels wired. So un wire you "this is evil " concept.
Don't get me wrong the higher settings zap, but you use those for obedience training so the dog's life can be saved when you yell "HERE" when he's chasing a bird across a road and a car is coming.

Second - I recommend the tri-tronics 550 pro, it has a much lower setting than some other collars, and you can use it and jump up in sensation by picking buttons with one hand... It's a no brainier. I bought a Garmin alpha and then bought the 550 pro because you can't quickly change setting with the alpha.

Third - ALWAYS change those short electrodes they give you with long ones, and watch that the collar is tight enough to be effective. In fact test the thing on your arm.

The best advice after that is to go to a perfect start clinc, I went to one last week and learned how to be consistent with the collar and my commands. Now when I do something new the dog gives me head tilts because it's not a clear as what we did last week at the clinic.