E-Collar help-(Garmin Delta XC)

andrew_rigsby

E-Collar help-(Garmin Delta XC)

Post by andrew_rigsby » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:29 am

I have a GSP who is 9 months old. I purchased an E-collar and started working with him using it at about 6 months. I introduced the collar and everything and started using it. It has 18 levels and we started training on a 3-4. As we kept using it he started ignoring it, even if the level of stimulation is increased he doesn't care and ignores the shock or vibrate. After this started to be a trend I halted using the collar all together. We haven't used in three months and I am about to start back. My question is this.

How should I reintroduce it? What can I do to make this ecollar effective for training?

Any other suggestions are welcome as well and thank you in advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oregon woodsmoke

Re: E-Collar help-(Garmin Delta XC)

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:13 pm

If the dog is ignoring the collar, you probably have the collar too loose. The electrodes must both have contact with the skin.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Re introduce with conditioning from a known command as you did initially. Are you using the long points and not the short points?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:20 pm

http://www.kninebirddog.com/understandi ... ollar.html

Fitting the e collar on is very important as if it is to loose it wont make proper contact and will either not give any stimulation or it might make a short contact which will act more like a sharp nick versus a stimualtion for the dog to respond to.
Then what are you doing to set the dog up for success with the e collar as the e collar is to continue for commands known
Above is an article i did to help under stand the e collar
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.