Introduction to birds

Dlmino21

Introduction to birds

Post by Dlmino21 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm looking for some guidance with introducing my dog to birds. I wanted to introduce them when my pup was younger, but he broke his leg and was not able to run for the last few months. He's an 8 month old English setter. I'm planning on buying some pigeons very soon, but I'm not exactly sure how I should start training with them. Any suggestions?

houghtonic

Re: Introduction to birds

Post by houghtonic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:29 pm

How did the growth plate injury and surgery end up? Is he able to run somewhat unhindered? I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure the way you go about the bird introduction depends a lot on how bird driven he is and other things related to gundog foundational training and exposure.

I'd answer these questions first:
Is he bird crazy?
Does he fetch bumpers for you?
Does he have a solid recall?
Has he been introduced to gunfire?
Has he done field search, been able to explore and use his nose out in nature a good bit.

I've only trained my two dogs that are going into their first and second full seasons respectively. Other, more experienced people on this forum will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but here is what I would do:

If he is already nuts for birds, then I'd use pigeons and launchers and a check cord to train for steadiness to flush at least. Your going to have to use a check cord unless he already points and is steady. You don't want him catching a bird and at 8 months old if he can run normally, he is going to be able to catch a dizzied bird. You also don't want to pop a launcher in his face, so the check cord is to give you control over that situation. I'd also be introducing him properly to gunfire now, so after he is steady to flush I could shoot some birds over him and then be ready to take him hunting come this season that is coming quickly upon us.

Both of my dogs were bird crazy from the beginning, so I don't have any experience in creating that if your dog isn't. From what I've read it is as simple as putting a bird in a transport cage where the dog can see and smell and investigate and they will want it bad...these dogs have the bird gene in them.

That is a synopsis of what I might do...better thing if you have never trained a bird dog is to buy a good DVD set like perfect start / perfect finish, follow it and just modify to a bit based on your dogs late start and more mature body than the young pups that are at the same stage in training. I'd also find a mentor to help teach you how to train the dog, if possible.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Plant the pigeons- HARD FLYING pigeons- by dizzying or using the launcher. Let the dog chase and let the birds do the teaching for now.(I'm assuming he's well enough to be running.)

Don't expect him to be steady for hunting this Fall. You may not get many shots; this Fall is all about letting the dog learn about birds.

You do need to condition the dog to the gun before the Fall.

how to dizzy a pigeon:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=ch ... a%20pigeon

PS You can't keep the pigeons in a crate for a week and expect them to fly hard.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:16 am

hold the bird in your hand let the dog get a nose full .move the bird like you are playing keep away the dog should get excited about this even if he dosent let the bird fly if dog chases the bird thats good do this a few times then plant the bird where dog cant see but not so much dog cant smell it. you will need a rope on the dog if dog points thats good if not hold the dog back and say nothing have a helper kick the bird up let dog chase if it wants to two or three birds is enough for the day dog should start pointing bird within a few times

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:31 pm

Is the dog gun broke? Otherwise, dizzy the bird a bit, if you do it correctly only half the birds will stay. Throw the bird in whatever gamebird you choose to hunt''s primary habitat. If the dog points and lets you flush it, great. If it doesn't point or bumps the bird, that's fine too. Let the dog chase hard for a few times, when it is confident and not scared of the bird you can begin gun breaking. When the dog is chasing hard again fire your gun/blank and get progressively closer as you see fit. During hunting season shoot every bird the dog points and lets you flush. Next summer start a homing pigeon loft, get a launcher or two and break the dog.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:39 am

Pull the flight feathers on a pigeon and let him chase and catch and maul the bird. After that throw a few for him to chase, its usually pretty simple and straight forward.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Elkhunter wrote:Pull the flight feathers on a pigeon and let him chase and catch and maul the bird. After that throw a few for him to chase, its usually pretty simple and straight forward.
+1
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.