new griff pup

brady124

new griff pup

Post by brady124 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:20 pm

i am getting a griffon and have never worked with a pointer im looking for any good information and good books to help me with training. thank you

mnaj_springer

Re: new griff pup

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:31 pm

Well you should get a program, learn it thoroughly, and follow it. Maybe join a locate training group and join.

But what do you plan on hunting with your pup? Where are you located? Where are you getting your pup from? Does the breeder have any suggestions? All of these answers will help us answer you.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:41 pm

More than one way to train successfully. Folks have been successful with the following:

"Point! A Book about Bird Dogs" by James Spencer ** I started out with this book many years ago. It is still a good one. Can be bought on Amazon.

Point !" by Horace Lytle

"PerfectStart! Perfect Finish! " google

"Huntsmith DVD series- puppy development" google

"Training with Mo ' google

George Hickox prog. :http://www.gundogsupply.com/gehitrpododv.html

WElcome to the forum. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ouzel

Post by Ouzel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:33 pm

I have a number of books but my all time favorite is James Spencer's, "Point: Training the All Seasons Bird Dog". He tells you alternative ways of doing things and then describes how to train each. Also, he discusses problems that you will encounter and how to avoid/correct them. If I could only have one book this would be it. Because you're getting a griffon you will want to also do some rudimentary retriever work and there's a new (2015) and cheap ( $12) book by Robert Milner, "Absolutely Positively Gundog Training" that I highly recommend. It approaches the fundamentals of retriever training by using methods taught to cadaver/rescue dogs and, as he has a background in retriever trialing, applies them to gundog training.

brady124

Post by brady124 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:11 am

mnaj_springer wrote:Well you should get a program, learn it thoroughly, and follow it. Maybe join a locate training group and join.

But what do you plan on hunting with your pup? Where are you located? Where are you getting your pup from? Does the breeder have any suggestions? All of these answers will help us answer you.
I plan on hunting upland game, I am from North Dakota, and I am getting a pup from a friend of mine so not much information from breeder as far as places to take pup for traing

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:13 pm

Congrats on your Griff! There's a fantastic booklet that Shannon Ford (Griffonpoint) put together called "Griffon Puppy Primer" which I would highly recommend. It's not a training book, but will give you a good idea of what to expect with a Griffon, and lots of do's and don'ts. You might ask your breeder, or even reach out to Katy Stuehm via the net to track down a booklet. As far as training, I liked the training books by Joan Bailey, and they are of course available via Amazon.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:19 pm

brady124 wrote:
mnaj_springer wrote:Well you should get a program, learn it thoroughly, and follow it. Maybe join a locate training group and join.

I plan on hunting upland game, I am from North Dakota, and I am getting a pup from a friend of mine so not much information from breeder as far as places to take pup for traing
All of the advice previously given is sound. I'm pretty sure there's a NAVHDA chapter in NoDak. If you can make some training sessions that would be a big benefit for you and your pup.

Also, some essential equipment includes a checkcord, a bird launcher, and birds (in my opinion at least).
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:34 pm

Hello Brady124,

Congratulations on your new Griffon. There are many ways to train gundogs. Griffs are intelligent and in many cases, sensitive dogs. Be careful when selecting a method. Go easy on strict obedience and take time to show the pup what you want. They're great dogs with a lot to offer. Here is a video of a griff pup in the field.

Enjoy.

Brad Higgins
www.HigginsGundogs.com

https://youtu.be/3WGiru5xBCM

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:20 pm

OK Brad are you trying to fool me? :) Looked like he jumped in and grabbed the bird but the video says he is steady to wing , shot and fall. Maybe I missed something.

(Is that the normal tail carriage for a Griffon?)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:07 am

He stood steady to the shot and fall in the initial point until released, I think you are responding to the actions of the dog on the retrieve, where he encouraged the dog to catch the bird. Hope this helps!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:23 pm

Sharon wrote:OK Brad are you trying to fool me? :) Looked like he jumped in and grabbed the bird but the video says he is steady to wing , shot and fall. Maybe I missed something.

(Is that the normal tail carriage for a Griffon?)
Sharon, the bird flushed on the far left of the screen and then the dog hunts for the dead bird after being released, so it must have had a poor mark or needs more experience retrieving.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:20 pm

brady124

Post by brady124 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:20 am

Cactus wrote:Congrats on your Griff! There's a fantastic booklet that Shannon Ford (Griffonpoint) put together called "Griffon Puppy Primer" which I would highly recommend. It's not a training book, but will give you a good idea of what to expect with a Griffon, and lots of do's and don'ts. You might ask your breeder, or even reach out to Katy Stuehm via the net to track down a booklet. As far as training, I liked the training books by Joan Bailey, and they are of course available via Amazon.
did you start your pup out in a crate right away? im wondering if we start him out in a crate right away if he will learn to hate the crate. did you start out with small doses?

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:31 pm

brady124 wrote:
Cactus wrote:Congrats on your Griff! There's a fantastic booklet that Shannon Ford (Griffonpoint) put together called "Griffon Puppy Primer" which I would highly recommend. It's not a training book, but will give you a good idea of what to expect with a Griffon, and lots of do's and don'ts. You might ask your breeder, or even reach out to Katy Stuehm via the net to track down a booklet. As far as training, I liked the training books by Joan Bailey, and they are of course available via Amazon.
did you start your pup out in a crate right away? im wondering if we start him out in a crate right away if he will learn to hate the crate. did you start out with small doses?
I know you're not asking me, but I started with the crate with my dogs. All night and during the day. Just make sure it is the right size and that the puppy is getting out to potty enough. I would also eliminate water about an hour before being crated.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:19 pm

I'm a tough , old ..........., but I start puppy in the crate night one. I put on the earplugs and go to bed.
Might as well get it over with . :)

Now my one dog sees me getting ready for bed, so goes to his crate and falls asleep. No need to even close the door. They don't learn to hate the crate ; they hate you leaving .

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Sharon wrote:I'm a tough , old ..........., but I start puppy in the crate night one. I put on the earplugs and go to bed.
Might as well get it over with . :)

Now my one dog sees me getting ready for bed, so goes to his crate and falls asleep. No need to even close the door. They don't learn to hate the crate ; they hate you leaving .
Haha... I have one dog that does (goes go the crate as soon as the TV shuts off), and my other, she tries to sneak down the hall and jump in the bed.

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:13 pm

I would start your puppy in a crate right away. Your first couple of nights will be tough, hard on you and the puppy. You can't leave the pup in there to long, so you'll going to need to let him or her out in the middle of the night. Eventually he or she will learn to like the crate, it becomes their "safe place".