Cleaning pigeon coop

randomnut

Cleaning pigeon coop

Post by randomnut » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:54 am

I had about 6 birds in my coop for about 6 months. They were homing well. Back in June, I went to check food and water, and one had died. Over the next two days, all but 1 died, and the lone survivor never came back.

I'm needing to get a couple more, but want to make sure my coop is disease free. What is the best way to go about cleaning it. Thanks

Urban_Redneck

Re: Cleaning pigeon coop

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:38 am

There are commercial solutions for disinfecting coops, or you can hose/scrub it out well, then spray with 1/2 cup of bleach : 2 gal water let stand 15 minutes, hose it out. Let the coop dry out well before returning the birds.

Clean drinking water everyday was the one thing stressed to me by the racer I got my birds from. All my losses have been to hawks and owls :oops:

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Urban_Redneck wrote:There are commercial solutions for disinfecting coops, or you can hose/scrub it out well, then spray with 1/2 cup of bleach : 2 gal water let stand 15 minutes, hose it out. Let the coop dry out well before returning the birds.

Clean drinking water everyday was the one thing stressed to me by the racer I got my birds from. All my losses have been to hawks and owls :oops:
Cleanliness in the coop is good start for a healthy coop. Agreement on the clean water daily is imperative. All of my losses could attributed to one thing, lead poisoning. 8) :P
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:10 pm

The one thing a loft needs to be is dry. Second most important is ventilation. And third is secure. Given those three elements you should have little problem.. Some people try to keep them clean however lots of people clean once a year or so. Fresh water and feed in a good loft and your problems should be few.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:43 am

Something to think about is how you were watering. I was using nipples and had a great set up, but all the sudden my pigeons started dying and every time I got quail they started dying. Found out they weren't drinking. I don't now how the heck a bird forgets how to drink from a nipple, but they had to have. Just a thought.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle